Truck goes into park when door opens

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tozyp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hello everyone!
I work at a marina and we have just purchased a 2022 Ram Classic. It has a safety feature which I appreciate and believe it is very effective. We move boats around the lot all day and need to have the door open sometimes to watch the ground but this truck won't allow me to do it. Is there a way to disable this feature when I am in the lot. Thanks for your help!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
^^^^ what he said, buy a seatbelt extender like the one pictured above and leave it plugged in. You can find them online for $20-$25

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have one of these on my '21 Warlock after many successful years of use on a Tundra and an Elantra GT.

The 3" rigid, black or grey also allows much better access to plugging or unplugging the seatbelt while wearing a winter coat.

And, no more seatbelt nanny during laneway or parking lot travel where you might be unplugged. :cool:

Last edited:

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to local wrecker and pick up end from a seat belt and install only when needed or plug seat belt in behind your back

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go to local wrecker and pick up end from a seat belt and install only when needed or plug seat belt in behind your back

For $20, free delivery to my door, and most importantly to irradicate that confounded ($#$#) seatbelt nanny noise, thanks.

I'll save the gas money and my time, buy the extender, plug it in once and forget about it. Also, up here we wear thick jackets for half the year and the extender just allows better access.

I've had the extender on my last 3 vehicles, mainly to kill the nanny but also for the above-mentioned benefits.

PS; For those who care, I always wear my seatbelt while on the road with the exception of driving to/from the barn on my property where I park and sometimes from the community mailbox up the road.

NO MORE SEATBELT NANNY! :cool:

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On my 16 as long as the brakes are applied, it will allow movement with door open. So try 2 foot driving and see if that works for you

joliphant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All you have to do is close the door latch manually by hand. Don't forget to pull the door handle before closing the door.

Grenadiers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I've been thinking about getting the Seat Belt extender shortly after getting my truck because of the annoying chime, but didn't know it would also solve the problem with backing up with the door open. I'll have to snag me one of those little gems!!!

Just for reference, there is a very simple procedure to turning off that annoying seat belt chime.

I found the procedure on YouTube.

I'm going off of my vague memory, bit I believe you turn the key to Run, wait for the seat belt light to cone on (with or with the belt on), then you turn the key off and on 3 or 4 times. This will silence it. For those with the push button start, there is a simular procedure.

Again, look on YouTube for (in my case) "Ram 1500 Classic seat belt sound deactivation". The tear can be, for the most part, any year if I'm not mistaken.

This should work for the Gen 5 as well as the Gen 4 models...

Cheers!!

Last edited:

OnNITRO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
penstar 3.5 V6
^^^^ what he said, buy a seatbelt extender like the one pictured above and leave it plugged in. You can find them online for $20-$25
Just do up the seatbelt before you get in ,and sit on it ,Now you can drive the truck with the door open

Tenbearzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for this information/ 2015 / 1500 / R/T / 16500 mi. I ran across this issue a couple weeks ago, my driveway is on about a 2.5 degree slope. The truck did exactly as described in this post. I had read an open door etc on the net, stopped the truck, checked each door and the tailgate to determine a possible door, ajar. Shut each securely, not even thinking, connected my seatbelt and the truck drove into the garage. I honestly thought I would need to contact a local Chrysler dealer, ( which have not impressed me one iota ) but have procrastinated and now, I think I would just ride the storm. IF this locking into park occurs again, I'd do the seatbelt idea in hopes that is the solution should it happen again. Thank you gents, I will drive the truck again, was nearly afraid to back out of the garage !!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Just do up the seatbelt before you get in ,and sit on it ,Now you can drive the truck with the door open
Then you have to unbuckle the seatbelt to put it on so you can drive, not to mention most probably are not flexible enough so you'll have to get out of the vehicle because your sitting on the seatbelt.

For $20, free delivery to my door, and most importantly to irradicate that confounded ($#$#) seatbelt nanny noise, thanks.

I'll save the gas money and my time, buy the extender, plug it in once and forget about it. Also, up here we wear thick jackets for half the year and the extender just allows better access.
^^^ this exactly

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just went to the seat belt pros site, or whatever it is called

I enter all the trucks info ...

Then i got to the part where you pay..
Paypal or other
i chose other, i have had a unfriendly billing hassle with Paypal

I chose other & if i choose Visa or Mastercard, they make a Paypal account in my name & use my credit card to run the payment through Paypal.

I guess that i will not be getting the seat belt extender.
I will figure something out.

I know !! when i have to park in a spot where door mirrors are useless.

1692056837945.png
I already have a 10" convex mirror

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Paypal or other

I chose other & if i choose Visa or Mastercard, they make a Paypal account in my name & use my credit card to run the payment through Paypal.

Are you certain about that?
I have a Paypal account but usually avoid using it when I can just use my credit card.

Seatbeltextederpro.com may use Paypal as their payment handler but when I used a cc to purchase, there was no creation of a Paypal account or any hassle.

I've bought something else recently that also used Paypal to bill my credit card and there was no hassle.

Maybe, you're just an anti-paypal person and a bit hasty with your sensitivity. :cool:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i first signed up for Paypal, it was needed to join the Ram forum with a Z.

Right after that, my sign in name & the actual acct. number kept showing up, for things that i would never buy.

I was so tired of it, i finally went to where i have my Cards & closed every acct.. Then i had a hell of a time explaining everything to the banks manager.
They placed a Watch on my cards & finally everything went back to normal.
I am staying away from Paypal

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When i first signed up for Paypal, it was needed to join the Ram forum with a Z.

Right after that, my sign in name & the actual acct. number kept showing up, for things that i would never buy.

I was so tired of it, i finally went to where i have my Cards & closed every acct.. Then i had a hell of a time explaining everything to the banks manager.
They placed a Watch on my cards & finally everything went back to normal.
I am staying away from Paypal

It seems to me that I once had a huge PITA issue while using PayPal. As I mentioned, if I can use my cc instead, I'll always choose to avoid using my PayPal account.

If a vendor is using PayPal as their payment handler, I'm insulated from PayPal and I don't care.

If I want the product, I look the other way. My cc company has to deal with PayPal, not me.

It is certainly your choice to avoid them like the plague. :cool:

I have to admit, I might cringe a bit every time I see vendors using PayPal as a payment handler.

Update: maybe I'm not being clear with how I said this. Some sites that have you use your own PayPal account to purchase are very different from a site that uses PayPal as a payment handler.

I don't require to have a PayPal account to have the vendor use their PayPal account to bill my credit card. I'm completely insulated from PayPal in this instance.

If PayPal screws up the order, I call my credit card company and cancel the order, that's the end.

PS: I did recently have a very positive experience using my PayPal account. I tried to buy LubeGard at a ridiculously low price from a fly by night vendor.

It turned out to be a bogus scam. I reported it to PayPal and received a refund. :cool:

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Paypal or other

I guess that i will not be getting the seat belt extender.
I will figure something out.

I know !! when i have to park in a spot where door mirrors are useless.

View attachment 526499
I already have a 10" convex mirror
I've bought 2 seat belt extenders from Seat Belt Pro's using my credit card and never had any issues, i don't have a pay pal account,and never had to sign up for one.But then again it was about 3 years ago when i bought from them