Truck is on IR clutch fan flies off water pump (video)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jei3us

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Yesterday I decided to play with my truck. Dropped it in second and started doing donuts. On the second spin the clutch fan tore right off the water pump and shot down underneath the truck. The fan blade destroyed the radiator and fan shroud. Now comes the question of what to do next. I need to replace the radiator, clutch fan and blade, fan shroud, and water pump. Replacing the fan shroud and fan clutch system would cost me just a bit under the cost of just buying an electric fan. Should I consider an electric fan system? The flex a lite 183 fan would cost about $330.

Heres the video of the catastrophe

Dodge ram clutch fan flies out doing donuts - YouTube

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I installed the Flex-A-Lite 183 E Fan Kit on my 07' and I love it. It took a lot of weight off the truck as the fan, fan clutch, and shroud weigh much more than my E Fan kit. The static weight off the engine frees up a little more horsepower as well. :)

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear about it. Nice looking truck tho :)

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
its not a huge weight savings, if any actually. IMO anyway.

Just reduces drag on the engine thats all. and I would price out both, i'd b willing to bet the efan will be cheaper than new stock parts. You could go wrecker parts, so just decide how much do u want to mod vs. how much extra it'll cost

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Gotta pay to play! I would go with the e-fan if it were me. You also wouldn't have to worry about this happening again. Just a thought.

OP
OP
jei3us

jei3us

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
What about a 180 thermostat? I believe the truck has a 200 right now should I swap it for a 180?