Truck Rocks Side to Side.. FIX?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin Taetsch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello Everyone..
I have been dealing with an annoying issue for quite some time now and I'm ready to get rid of it! First i would like to mention that my truck is a RWD 2015 Big Horn with 35's. While driving on the freeway when I travel over an overpass or any type of road change that results in quick level adjustment the truck will rock or sway side to side like the suspension is complete slop... Is this due to the shocks going bad? Sway bar is insufficient for the size of the tires? Is anyone else experiencing this? What can be done to correct this annoying issue!?

Thank you in advance for all help.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How much play is in the steering wheel? Are you hearing any clunking or popping when you hit bumps or turn? What speed does it start happening at? Does it go away?

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
How much play is in the steering wheel? Are you hearing any clunking or popping when you hit bumps or turn? What speed does it start happening at? Does it go away?

All this and check your shocks.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on the truck?
Could be your rear lower control arms saying goodbye.
I have brand new Mevotech rear control arms in the for sale section.

OP
OP
D

Devin Taetsch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

What do you mean when you ask about play in the steering? I want to make sure i check for this properly while driving.. I have noticed some clunking in the front left (Driver side) wheel well Area.. IT normally starts at 65+ MPH. I have not noticed it at lower speeds..

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What do you mean when you ask about play in the steering? I want to make sure i check for this properly while driving.. I have noticed some clunking in the front left (Driver side) wheel well Area.. IT normally starts at 65+ MPH. I have not noticed it at lower speeds..

What I meant by that is, when you try to go straight and you’re making normal adjustments by moving the steering wheel left or right, does it take a lot of change in the steering wheel to keep it going straight or is it only a degree or 2? Also, does the truck jerk a lot when there are ruts one the road?

Some normal clunking can be a sway bar link, upper strut mount, the strut itself is shot, or possibly an upper or lower ball joint. You can visually see some of this, but jacking up the front end by the frame and being able to move the wheel and control arms around freely make it easier to test several steering and suspension parts.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worn shocks/struts would absolutely contribute to the vehicle losing its composure on highway seams, etc.

Also if you have a lift/spacer in back to run those 35's and the rear track bar doesn't compensation for the lift, it will push the vehicle side to side a little bit.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello Everyone..
I have been dealing with an annoying issue for quite some time now and I'm ready to get rid of it! First i would like to mention that my truck is a RWD 2015 Big Horn with 35's. While driving on the freeway when I travel over an overpass or any type of road change that results in quick level adjustment the truck will rock or sway side to side like the suspension is complete slop... Is this due to the shocks going bad? Sway bar is insufficient for the size of the tires? Is anyone else experiencing this? What can be done to correct this annoying issue!?

Thank you in advance for all help.

Hi @Devin Taetsch - If you're not able to determine a solution based on suggestions from fellow forum members and you decide to address this with your dealer, please let us know via private message. We would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Mark
RamCares

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the rear control arms out and inspected them. you'll know for sure if the bushings are bad. if they're not, you can can concentrate in the front end. If they do you found the root cause and diagnostic is free.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get yourself the Wig from Hell sway bar and the damn core 4x4 Track bar/upper and lower rear control arms. That will fix your entire rear for life lol.