TRUCK SHUDDERING AND MOANING IN 4WD???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shanedeegan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
So long story short, a few months ago I switched on 4WD while driving in the rain,
no prior incident, and my truck starts shuddering like hell when lightly accelerating. (Not shaking in 2WD). When I made sharp turns it also sounded like something was moaning/groaning in my front suspension. I had my buddy drive my truck while i watched and I saw the inner cv joint move up and down erratically on the left side, so i decided to replace the cv axle and the intermediate shaft (which i previously did with the other side as well for another reason). I knew the cv axle was bad because I heard clunks when stopping and going from a stop. Even after I replaced the cv and intermediate shaft the truck still shakes, possibly even worse. And for some weird reason the suspension is still making a clunking noise. (Even in 2WD). Also I have basically replaced my entire front suspension including upper/lower control arms, cv’s, ball joints, struts, breaks, next is tie rods. I’ve inspected as much as I know and nothing seems loose. What could this be? I was thinking maybe the long shaft in between the two intermediate shafts, but there is no weird play on the inner cv’s, and i opened up the differential and everything seems to spin smoothly. What could this be? Someone told me I shouldn’t drive 4WD on pavement, and before this event my 4WD was working fine on pavement, could I have ruined the transfer case? Please help so I don’t need to spend my whole wallet on the mechanic.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So long story short, a few months ago I switched on 4WD while driving in the rain,
no prior incident, and my truck starts shuddering like hell when lightly accelerating. (Not shaking in 2WD). When I made sharp turns it also sounded like something was moaning/groaning in my front suspension. I had my buddy drive my truck while i watched and I saw the inner cv joint move up and down erratically on the left side, so i decided to replace the cv axle and the intermediate shaft (which i previously did with the other side as well for another reason). I knew the cv axle was bad because I heard clunks when stopping and going from a stop. Even after I replaced the cv and intermediate shaft the truck still shakes, possibly even worse. And for some weird reason the suspension is still making a clunking noise. (Even in 2WD). Also I have basically replaced my entire front suspension including upper/lower control arms, cv’s, ball joints, struts, breaks, next is tie rods. I’ve inspected as much as I know and nothing seems loose. What could this be? I was thinking maybe the long shaft in between the two intermediate shafts, but there is no weird play on the inner cv’s, and i opened up the differential and everything seems to spin smoothly. What could this be? Someone told me I shouldn’t drive 4WD on pavement, and before this event my 4WD was working fine on pavement, could I have ruined the transfer case? Please help so I don’t need to spend my whole wallet on the mechanic.
They're wrong. Nothing bad will happen by engaging 4x4 on pavement. I wouldn't have it in 4w-Low at freeway speeds, but I've had mine in 4W-Hi many times in slick or slightly snowy/icy condition to get better traction. And I've put it in 4W-Low for short distances several times a year when I haven't used 4x4 in a long time just to make sure it still works, and to grease up all the pieces and parts that haven't been used in a while.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Are you new to this truck ? Do all the tires match in size ? Stupid questions but may be relevant.

OP
OP
S

shanedeegan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I’ve been driving this truck for a year now, and 4WD used to be normal until randomly started shaking. Tires are all the same size, allignment is good. I also seem to be experiencing A small vibration when making left turns now, and still fell a clunk when stopping and going

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The title of this thread sounds like a movie that is not G rated.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They're wrong. Nothing bad will happen by engaging 4x4 on pavement. I wouldn't have it in 4w-Low at freeway speeds, but I've had mine in 4W-Hi many times in slick or slightly snowy/icy condition to get better traction. And I've put it in 4W-Low for short distances several times a year when I haven't used 4x4 in a long time just to make sure it still works, and to grease up all the pieces and parts that haven't been used in a while.

In a straight line you are correct. When turning with your diff locked up, you are forcing the outside tires to drive farther than the inside ones while rotating at the same speed. Its added wear and tear.

In a tight turn I have had it feel like my truck was hopping forward as the tires would break loose. Granted, this doesn't explain your symptoms, but you don't want to just casually put it in 4wd on dry high grip pavement. Snow, go for it. Rain, maybe. Dry pavement, no.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat