Truck will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

c0le

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does not turn over, just does that quick clicking noise repeatedly until you let off the ignition. The clicking is coming from a relay mounted to the side of the truck underneath the fuse box.

Twice in the past year, this exact same thing happened. Both previous times and this time, while driving my stereo would power off and not come back on. Once I got where I was going and turned the truck off, it would not start again. The two previous times, the Ignition switch fuse was blown, replace that and boom, truck starts right up and radio works again.

This time, the fuse is not blown and truck does not start. Replaced fuse anyways, still no luck. Used a voltage meter to test battery at the battery and at the starter, getting over 12V at both locations. Battery is less than 1 year old, going to take it in to get tested later today to just to make sure. I took the starter off yesterday and had Autozone test it, it's fine.

I'm thinking it's something electrical based on the radio not coming back on either...only thing I can think of that happened close to when this first occurred is I had Uhaul install trailer brakes so I could pull my boat and have it's trailer brakes actually work. This all works fine but figured it was worth mentioning.

Any ideas on what to try/test would be much appreciated.
-Cole

*edit* Truck is a 2006 Ram 1500 Lone Star w/ 4.7L (no hemi)

OP
OP
C

c0le

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update: I've now taken the battery and alternator to Autozone and both tested to be fine. Kind of at a loss on what could be next in the chain.

Someone at Autozone mentioned it may be the PCM Module - any possible truth in this? If so, is there a way to test this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a similar issue years ago, turns out it was a dirty connection from the hot lead to the starter. I pulled the wire, cleaned up both sides and haven't had a problem since then (about 6yrs-ish).

OP
OP
C

c0le

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just figured out my issue, I'm back up and running again. It ended up being the ignition switch itself. Got this part from Autozone for about 35$