Truck won’t shift into gear from park, blinking D, error message shift to p then to desired gear, blinking check engine light…please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
2015 Tradesman 5.7hemi 8spd ZF initial symptoms were surge in rpm’s while driving, misfiring that felt and could be mistaken for hard shifting/trans issue. After changing transmission fluid and filter, spark plugs (all 16!), O2 sensors (4),
Air cleaner sensor, and pulling fuel tank to check pump and sensors…it just wouldn’t go into gear from park about a week ago came out from the vet and started it up, switch shifter into drive and the D just flashes the screen displays the message “shift to P then to desired gear” I try that and it just repeats over and over no change. My code reader picks up no codes and everything I’ve read reference a bad fuel/oxygen mix, raw fuel dumping into cats (I have pics they look clean). I just don’t know what to do and it’s my only vehicle that I owe 11k on still. Tia for all y’all’s experience and expertise! Pics of the cats below. I forgot to mention before it got to this point it did throw a couple codes which I’ve attached below and changed o2 sensors with no change. Thanks again in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpeg
    IMG_0003.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0004.jpeg
    IMG_0004.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0001.jpeg
    IMG_0001.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0002.jpeg
    IMG_0002.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6165.jpeg
    IMG_6165.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6163.jpeg
    IMG_6163.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 19

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles?

Did the repairs correct the misfire complaint?

How much time / mileage between the transmission filter change and onset of the shifter error?

If it were mine I’d get it scanned by a professional technician with a pro grade bidirectional scanner. They can read a lot of subsystems unavailable to consumer grade code readers.

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How many miles?

Did the repairs correct the misfire complaint?

How much time / mileage between the transmission filter change and onset of the shifter error?

If it were mine I’d get it scanned by a professional technician with a pro grade bidirectional scanner. They can read a lot of subsystems unavailable to consumer grade code readers.
Approx 156*** miles.

No, the repairs didn’t fix the misfire, seemed like at first it was better but that’s only when the engine is colder, soon as it heats up its terrible, clunking and rpm surges etc.

Time between trans fluid change and shifter error 6 weeks roughly? And just driven approx 30 miles a day tops.

My buddy is coming over tomorrow after work with his diagnostic scan computer and praying we learn something.

Side note: I took the truck I to dodge dealer after attempting the early repairs (tranny fluid/filter, spark plugs, maf sensor) and these criminals not only didn’t diagnose anything, or try to force me to buy a new tranny from them, they actually slathered my fill plug in loctite so much I still haven’t gotten it out after 2 days trying! I read that if tranny fluid is even slightly low it could cause prob so went to check the levels and I can’t get that plug out…fml if I were a criminal I’d be thinking ins fraud

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I mean while I can see certain things needing to be mopar brand, (fluids, mechanical parts etc) I fail to see how something as simple as a sensor that detects oxygen and sends a signal via voltage that either is within the cpu set parameters or not, could cause the whole system to fail just because it doesn’t have a mopar logo on the box. I bought them from Bosch. They make some of the highest quality HVAC equipment on the market, I own several of their digital tools (lasers, readers etc) and I’ve never had any issues. I may get crucified for saying this openly, but I don’t think it’s a secret that the automakers have created a whole other market (parts/fluids etc) that they will profit highly off of. Now I’m not going to go out and buy some cheapo Amazon Chinese knock off, but Mopar overcharges and more power to them it’s smart business, but as a consumer I find that knowing how to save money on an equal or higher quality product, is a no brainer. I mean I took my truck to Dodge here in town and these ‘techs’ spent 2 hrs and told me I need a new transmission to the tune of $8500! The transmission does NOT need to be replaced, but they get kick backs from the manufacturer to push expensive and unnecessary parts down the little guys throat, and why would Dodge say expressly that the transmission fluid in the ZF 8speed is good for the life of the vehicle when the Manufacturer of that transmission states 60-80k intervals?? Same reason when I picked my truck up and went to do another tranny fluid flush (to get out the remaining 2-3 qts of old stuff out) that the fill plug was basically welded into the pan. They don’t want DIYers like us saving money because then they’re losing money…duh. I apologize if this is coming off rudely, I mean this with all due respect. But let’s use this forum for what it’s intended and I believe that is to help the DIY Dodge guys do things themselves, correctly, and save our bank accounts so we can take care of our family’s and communities as God intended. Let’s not become unpaid Mopar pushers, we have enough of that nonsense to navigate through with the dealerships and the automakers.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You are not wrong !

I often go to the RockAuto website, in hopes that i can find the company that supplied the OEM part for Mopar.

2 products that i have noticed that work best, if they are are Mopar part.

The first one is the Fuel Cap, the Mopar brand Cap will clear a code, where autozone for instance does not.

02 Sensors seem to be the same way

Let us know, how you fixed your issue

Good Luck

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are not wrong !

I often go to the RockAuto website, in hopes that i can find the company that supplied the OEM part for Mopar.

2 products that i have noticed that work best, if they are are Mopar part.

The first one is the Fuel Cap, the Mopar brand Cap will clear a code, where autozone for instance does not.

02 Sensors seem to be the same way

Let us know, how you fixed your issue

Good Luck
I appreciate the heads up with the gas cap and sensors and I feel I must return the sentiment, you are also correct I’m afraid and again I apologize for the ‘tone’ in my reply I’m just going through the valley at the moment and seems like it may never stop pouring, I’ve got over a grand already just in sensors and fluids and it’s worse off than when I began…I’m learning that true auto mechanical knowledge and skill is invaluable, I went to the wrong field I think. People need their vehicles working and man is it frustrating as a diy guy when I hit those beyond the limits of my knowledge type walls. Feel like I’ve read so many forums I may go cross eyed. Anyway thanks for the responses I do appreciate feeling like I’m not alone in this thing, I’ll give rock Auto a gander. Thanks friend.

Thebusdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Tradesman 5.7hemi 8spd ZF initial symptoms were surge in rpm’s while driving, misfiring that felt and could be mistaken for hard shifting/trans issue. After changing transmission fluid and filter, spark plugs (all 16!), O2 sensors (4),
Air cleaner sensor, and pulling fuel tank to check pump and sensors…it just wouldn’t go into gear from park about a week ago came out from the vet and started it up, switch shifter into drive and the D just flashes the screen displays the message “shift to P then to desired gear” I try that and it just repeats over and over no change. My code reader picks up no codes and everything I’ve read reference a bad fuel/oxygen mix, raw fuel dumping into cats (I have pics they look clean). I just don’t know what to do and it’s my only vehicle that I owe 11k on still. Tia for all y’all’s experience and expertise! Pics of the cats below. I forgot to mention before it got to this point it did throw a couple codes which I’ve attached below and changed o2 sensors with no change. Thanks again in advance.
Did you change the fluid pan or just the filter? I bought an aftermarket trans fluid pan from Rock Auto that was supposed to fit but it was too shallow. Even though it bolted on, the pan pressed up against the parking solenoid which restricted my truck from going into park properly.

Thankfully I bought the expensive PPE pan as a backup and that worked flawlessly.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
TheBusDriver,

I ran into a similar problem with a Mopar transmission, though not the ZF transmission.
My problem showed up when the Dodge Dealership Parts Dept. gave me the incorrect part.

They gave me parts for a 4 Wheel drive, instead of 2 Wheel Drive
There is a definite height difference in the Transmission Pan.
In that case, the Parts Dept. sent out a driver with the correct parts

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you change the fluid pan or just the filter? I bought an aftermarket trans fluid pan from Rock Auto that was supposed to fit but it was too shallow. Even though it bolted on, the pan pressed up against the parking solenoid which restricted my truck from going into park properly.

Thankfully I bought the expensive PPE pan as a backup and that worked flawlessly.
I am attaching image to the one I purchased it was Dorman brand had great reviews and seemed to fit perfectly. You’re now the 3rd person saying this so I’m starting to wonder…my only thing is I replaced that transmission fluid, filter/pan like 3 months ago roughly and it’s run fine (minus the initial complaint with the surges and misfires) so why would that happen after this much time if it was a fitment issue?

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpeg
    IMG_6576.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
UPDATE

So my coworker came by this evening with a diagnostic code reader and we were able to pull some codes finally. The initial complaint and codes from my OBD2 sensor were present but in addition the following code was found:

00,03,1b,14(P1b14)

I have attached photos from the site link we followed so looks like you guys might be onto something with this parking pawl, however there are several possibilities so I’ve got some solenoids to check and a few other things, I’ll post updates as I continue to diagnose.

Attachments

• IMG_6577.png
    IMG_6577.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6578.png
    IMG_6578.png
    348.9 KB · Views: 13

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I mean while I can see certain things needing to be mopar brand, (fluids, mechanical parts etc) I fail to see how something as simple as a sensor that detects oxygen and sends a signal via voltage that either is within the cpu set parameters or not, could cause the whole system to fail just because it doesn’t have a mopar logo on the box. I bought them from Bosch. They make some of the highest quality HVAC equipment on the market, I own several of their digital tools (lasers, readers etc) and I’ve never had any issues. I may get crucified for saying this openly, but I don’t think it’s a secret that the automakers have created a whole other market (parts/fluids etc) that they will profit highly off of. Now I’m not going to go out and buy some cheapo Amazon Chinese knock off, but Mopar overcharges and more power to them it’s smart business, but as a consumer I find that knowing how to save money on an equal or higher quality product, is a no brainer. I mean I took my truck to Dodge here in town and these ‘techs’ spent 2 hrs and told me I need a new transmission to the tune of $8500! The transmission does NOT need to be replaced, but they get kick backs from the manufacturer to push expensive and unnecessary parts down the little guys throat, and why would Dodge say expressly that the transmission fluid in the ZF 8speed is good for the life of the vehicle when the Manufacturer of that transmission states 60-80k intervals?? Same reason when I picked my truck up and went to do another tranny fluid flush (to get out the remaining 2-3 qts of old stuff out) that the fill plug was basically welded into the pan. They don’t want DIYers like us saving money because then they’re losing money…duh. I apologize if this is coming off rudely, I mean this with all due respect. But let’s use this forum for what it’s intended and I believe that is to help the DIY Dodge guys do things themselves, correctly, and save our bank accounts so we can take care of our family’s and communities as God intended. Let’s not become unpaid Mopar pushers, we have enough of that nonsense to navigate through with the dealerships and the automakers.
You're not going to like this, but electrical items, especially sensors, are not simple devices. There are a lot of professional technicians that will not use anything but OEM when it comes to certain components, and sensor are high on the list. They can inject new problems that will cause you to believe the "new" part you just installed CAN'T be the problem, because it's new. I've got personal experience with this.

Check out Pine Hill Diagnostics on YouTube, just as an example.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97473 miles.

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You're not going to like this, but electrical items, especially sensors, are not simple devices. There are a lot of professional technicians that will not use anything but OEM when it comes to certain components, and sensor are high on the list. They can inject new problems that will cause you to believe the "new" part you just installed CAN'T be the problem, because it's new. I've got personal experience with this.

Check out Pine Hill Diagnostics on YouTube, just as an example.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97473 miles.
Thanks Dusty, I appreciate the advice…just sucks they charge so much.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Dusty, I appreciate the advice…just sucks they charge so much.
On O2 Sensors, always, and I mean always use OEM. The friggin canbus is so picky, it does not always go well when U use aftermarket. My truck threw an O2 sensor. Went to Dealer, they ordered "new" sensor. They put in, I went 1/4 mile to Burger King to get a Burger and same code came back,. Went right back to SA with a WTF? Well, Dealership said screw it, and REPLACED all 4 sensors (the 2 uppers and 2 lower). Now no issue, and this has been years. But U got to, IMHO use OEM for those picky a z z sensors/canbus integration.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might be asking a dumb question but did you have the driver's door open when trying to move the truck, because That will do it.

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
On O2 Sensors, always, and I mean always use OEM. The friggin canbus is so picky, it does not always go well when U use aftermarket. My truck threw an O2 sensor. Went to Dealer, they ordered "new" sensor. They put in, I went 1/4 mile to Burger King to get a Burger and same code came back,. Went right back to SA with a WTF? Well, Dealership said screw it, and REPLACED all 4 sensors (the 2 uppers and 2 lower). Now no issue, and this has been years. But U got to, IMHO use OEM for those picky a z z sensors/canbus integration.
Alright, you convinced me. Thanks for the input it is much appreciated! Since we’re on the subject I’m having the same dilemma with the transmission (ZF 8HP70) pan/filter. Some guys say the Dorman is fine some swear by mopar or OE and say the aftermarket’s cause issues….experience?

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I rarely use OEM parts and havent had an issue. Ive no idea what is going on with yours. Hope you get it resolved quickly.