Truck won’t shift into gear from park, blinking D, error message shift to p then to desired gear, blinking check engine light…please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Check out Pine Hill Diagnostics on YouTube, just as an example.

Pine Hill, Rainman Rey, too much rework due to Chineseium. OP, it just is what it is and I’m looking forward to what you discover after further testing.

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pine Hill, Rainman Rey, too much rework due to Chineseium. OP, it just is what it is and I’m looking forward to what you discover after further testing.
I looked them up. I’ve watch so many videos and read hundreds of articles, I’m cross eyed and loopy. So this morning I took out the valve body, ohm’d out all the solenoids and they’re all good…the fluid was a little grainy so I’m thinking a good 8qt dose of mopar 8&9 might be all she needed. I was going to do the vacuum test but after visual inspection I’m betting the tranny fluid was just low from when I changed it recently, it’s hard to get a level on that pan when leveling the truck per ZF instructions

OP
OP
Afranky80

Afranky80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
UPDATE: So I pull the valve body, check all the solenoids (every one of them ohms at the manf spec) so I clean all the screens, they’re a little gunky with old fluid, clean everything else with maf cleaner, and reinstall. Get the ass end jacked up to start adding (Mopar 8&9 atf) get about 4 quarts in and she’s starting to drip, jump out from under the truck to start the engine so it’ll pull those first 4 in the trans, plan to slide back under while it’s idling to add the remaining 4 when not only does the truck not start, there’s not even a click…just dead. On top of that it won’t let go of the key! So now the truck is on but not running and I can’t get the key out. I slide under the dash and unplug the harness to the shifter knob and the ignition, plug back in and voila gives me the key back…..HOWEVER, there is a displayed message on screen saying, don’t try to shift gears don’t stop till you get to a safe location to have transmission serviced (paraphrased). I’m at a loss here I mean I do the diy thing because I’m mechanically inclined and I can’t afford the damn shop or dealership prices…but this one may be ready to see the pros. Smh #discouraged

Oh before I forget …see pic attached of what I found in the tranny filter when I removed it…ever seen this material before? It’s magnetic…?

Attachments

• IMG_6691.jpeg
    IMG_6691.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6690.jpeg
    IMG_6690.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 10

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UPDATE: So I pull the valve body, check all the solenoids (every one of them ohms at the manf spec) so I clean all the screens, they’re a little gunky with old fluid, clean everything else with maf cleaner, and reinstall. Get the ass end jacked up to start adding (Mopar 8&9 atf) get about 4 quarts in and she’s starting to drip, jump out from under the truck to start the engine so it’ll pull those first 4 in the trans, plan to slide back under while it’s idling to add the remaining 4 when not only does the truck not start, there’s not even a click…just dead. On top of that it won’t let go of the key! So now the truck is on but not running and I can’t get the key out. I slide under the dash and unplug the harness to the shifter knob and the ignition, plug back in and voila gives me the key back…..HOWEVER, there is a displayed message on screen saying, don’t try to shift gears don’t stop till you get to a safe location to have transmission serviced (paraphrased). I’m at a loss here I mean I do the diy thing because I’m mechanically inclined and I can’t afford the damn shop or dealership prices…but this one may be ready to see the pros. Smh #discouraged

Oh before I forget …see pic attached of what I found in the tranny filter when I removed it…ever seen this material before? It’s magnetic…?
I'm mechanically inclined as well. And old. And my body shape is no longer conducive to the sometimes necessary contortions needed to perform repairs. But before that I learned a long time ago that there are very good reasons to sometimes have the experienced professionals do things.

For your piece of mind, I think for you now is one of those times. Good luck.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97655 miles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, you convinced me. Thanks for the input it is much appreciated! Since we’re on the subject I’m having the same dilemma with the transmission (ZF 8HP70) pan/filter. Some guys say the Dorman is fine some swear by mopar or OE and say the aftermarket’s cause issues….experience?
No can help there, not done, MY 19 only has 22K on it, so be a while. Have read of PPL using Dorman and/or PPE on trans. U would have to research dat.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

U might want to put those pieces next to a ruler so PPL have some idea how big they R. I thought it was pieces of glass when first looked at pics.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The pieces look like pump vanes. Specifically (going from the top piece clockwise), the second piece looks like it was originally part of the third piece.

Zfs do you a vane type pump, but how a vane could get into the pan, much less escape the pump housing, seems almost impossible. Is it possible the broken pieces were already there when the transmission was assembled?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 97660 miles.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat