Truck won't go forward until you put it in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maryinmt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 valve cummins
I need some help figuring out what to look at for this problem.

It is a 97 12 valve diesel with automatic transmission.

When you start it, you can put it in gear but it won't move forward unless you put it in reverse and drive backwards for a few feet first. Then when it does take off, it won't shift into the upper gears. It roars along in 2nd or 3rd (sorry, I'm not sure which) at about 40 mph until it finally slams into the next gear. Then it will run normally. This has been getting steadily worse over the past couple of months. I'm told it is the torque converter, but no one can say what is wrong with it. Do I need a new one? Or is it a part? A seal?

Recently it stopped shifting into overdrive also. Do you think I'm looking at 2 separate problems or just one.

Thank you for your help.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
MY initial guess is general tranny failure. Gradually getting worse is a sign that the bands/clutches are wearing at a rapid rate and the trans needs a rebuild.

OP
OP
M

Maryinmt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12 valve cummins
5th gear lock nut

We had to put that on a 97 manual transmission that we had before this one. You have to do it on the automatic also? That bites.

Mary