Trying to change fuel pump and can’t remove metal locking plate and fuel line

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don’t think mine was ever changed in it’s life, it’s at 305,000km
Fuel pump went out on me at the start of the month and it’s finally getting nice weather so I’m trying to change it
I got the box removed as I couldn’t drop the tank on my driveway
I got the harness off fine but the fuel line isn’t coming off, any tips for that one? Looks like you just press it down and pull but it’s not working
The metal plate you knock counter clockwise to remove isn’t moving a bit either, it’s rusted all to hell

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I don’t think mine was ever changed in it’s life, it’s at 305,000km
Fuel pump went out on me at the start of the month and it’s finally getting nice weather so I’m trying to change it
I got the box removed as I couldn’t drop the tank on my driveway
I got the harness off fine but the fuel line isn’t coming off, any tips for that one? Looks like you just press it down and pull but it’s not working
The metal plate you knock counter clockwise to remove isn’t moving a bit either, it’s rusted all to hell

I went through this on a truck with 175,000 miles. The fuel lines are a ***** to get off. But as you said, there is a small part that pushes in, while you pull the connector off. Soak the thing in PB blaster/ WD40 and leave it for a while.

Same thing with the metal ring that holds the pump in place. Soak it for a bit with PB blaster, then just get out your trusty hammer, and a large chisel. or something that has a nice flat edge to sit against that ring.

If the ring is as rusted as you make it sound, then you will probably need a new one also.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use brass for the ring. You dont want any sparks.

OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You need to get a fuel line disconnect tool, Made by
www.arestool.com do a search for fuel line disconnect.

Been trying to find one, at my local Napa they have one but for fords and GM and Mazda. Not dodge. Not sure if it’s that much of a difference but didn’t look like it would work.
They were the scissor type looking ones

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
It is best to remove the drivers side rear tire for better access

this video may show a Gen 3 tank removal
at the 6 minute 40 second point, he removes the fuel line connection

I hope this is the same as your vehicle

Last edited:

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Hay Man Just trying to help, how else are you going to get at those ears that are holding the fitting together?

I know you are bud. all's im sayin is you dont NEED one.

I got all of my fittings off with just the massive strength of my fingers :p hahah. and they were crusty as all hell. lol.

OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is best to remove the drivers side rear tire for better access

this video may show a Gen 3 tank removal
at the 6 minute 40 second point, he removes the fuel line connection

I hope this is the same as your vehicle

That’s the video I was following along to. Other than actually removing the tank itself.
I removed the bed to get to the fuel pump
My just doesn’t come off easy. I feel like there’s dirt and crap underneath the “button”

OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went through this on a truck with 175,000 miles. The fuel lines are a ***** to get off. But as you said, there is a small part that pushes in, while you pull the connector off. Soak the thing in PB blaster/ WD40 and leave it for a while.

Same thing with the metal ring that holds the pump in place. Soak it for a bit with PB blaster, then just get out your trusty hammer, and a large chisel. or something that has a nice flat edge to sit against that ring.

If the ring is as rusted as you make it sound, then you will probably need a new one also.

Mine is at 190,000 miles converted. Hope I can find the ring anywhere, if I do need to replace it. No one carries parts for my truck in my province, all generally have to order them from the bigger ones

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do you have any PB Blaster or Kroil lubricants

don't use WD-40, WD stands for Water Displacement, it is not truly a lubricant

PB Blaster is good, but Kroil is better it is what is used mostly on firearms

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Mine is at 190,000 miles converted. Hope I can find the ring anywhere, if I do need to replace it. No one carries parts for my truck in my province, all generally have to order them from the bigger ones
YIKES!

Better hope you can get the original one off (It will come off with some persuasion). From there i would just try and "restore" the original one. as long as the rust hasnt eaten through the thing completely.

OP
OP
StuartBlack

StuartBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YIKES!

Better hope you can get the original one off (It will come off with some persuasion). From there i would just try and "restore" the original one. as long as the rust hasnt eaten through the thing completely.

0bf54ba923c9abfe9f530fb8a34d4677.jpg
Looks close to being more rust than metal at this point