Tuner's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mornin all,

So the other day (Monday) I picked up my new baby. 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7, 4wd. It came with some extras like some bed bars and a bed cap that I'm gonna end up selling. BUT, it also came with one of the older Superchip Flashpaq tuners, which I thought was pretty cool.

Iv read through threads and people make mention of different brands of tuners, different tunes from hemifever and whatnot.

I just wanna here some thoughts on the tuners out there, which ones people go with and why. I know superchips has been doing this a long time, but that doesn't make them good.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Most HEMI powered vehicle owners who modify the stock programming go with DiabloSport programmers. They have been providing programmers to the car and truck community for quite some time and their products work.

While the "canned" tunes found in the programmers provide some improvement in performance, the biggest change in tuning comes from a custom tuner who will have you log your vehicles performance, then have you email them those files to build a custom tune.

I had a Diablosport Predator on my 2007 5.7L MegaCab, my SRT8 custom tune was done by email by Johann Mangs (Diablotuna), who worked for Diablosport for some years. I had my 2014 6.4L Ram custom tuned by Sean (Hemifever). In both cases the process was the same and the results were fantastic with respects to power, torque, shifting and general driveability.

I have been tuning my vehicles for quite some time with different brand tools and Diablosport's products are some of the best.

Last edited:

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've got one of the older Superchips Flashpaqs as well. They still work since the tunes really haven't changed over the years from what I understand. Keep in mind that if you do decide to sell that Flashpaq to pick up a different tuner, you will want to flash the truck back to stock and remove the truck from the tuner. They will lock themselves to a VIN and not be usable on another vehicle until you do that. Otherwise, it will cost the new owner $100 to have it unlocked. Just something to keep in mind is all.

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ya I have it set to stock right now since I don't feel like paying for premium fuel, and I'm not sure what the 87 tune does.

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got on diablo's website and the intune i2 specifically says it's not for custom tunes. Is this the right one I need?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The I2 that I had held custom tunes.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you buy a diablo for custom tuning, make sure you have a computer and be prepared to mess around a lot to get everything updated and running smoothly. I'm pretty handy with computers, but it took me a day of messing around getting all the downloads done and getting tunes to and from my trinity. I think the tuner is great, but the programming it runs off of is crap

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ya I have it set to stock right now since I don't feel like paying for premium fuel, and I'm not sure what the 87 tune does.

87 tune is decent. You can run 87 or 89 with it, no problems. More power than stock at least. I just recently switched over to the 91 tune to see how much better it was and really, there isn't a huge difference that I have noticed so far. Load the 87 tune in there, you'll like it.

The Flashpaq, even the older ones, will allow you to make changes to the shift points and adjust for tire size to correct the speedo. That alone makes it worthwhile to install the tune since you have the tuner. Might as well use it until you figure out what direction you are going. :naughty:

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
87 tune is decent. You can run 87 or 89 with it, no problems. More power than stock at least. I just recently switched over to the 91 tune to see how much better it was and really, there isn't a huge difference that I have noticed so far. Load the 87 tune in there, you'll like it.

The Flashpaq, even the older ones, will allow you to make changes to the shift points and adjust for tire size to correct the speedo. That alone makes it worthwhile to install the tune since you have the tuner. Might as well use it until you figure out what direction you are going. :naughty:

Thanks, so I guess my question would be does it increase fuel economy. If not, is there anything with a superchip to get fuel eco

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5.7 isn't going to give you very good mpg no matter what you do. My superchip gave me .5-.75 mpg city on 87. No change with the other tunes

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The 5.7 isn't going to give you very good mpg no matter what you do. My superchip gave me .5-.75 mpg city on 87. No change with the other tunes

Yeah, doesn't really matter what you do, the 5.7 sucks gas. It's stayed basically the same for me, from bone stock to having the 87 tune and intake done and even with the 91 tune. And that is regardless of the load in the truck too.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, so I guess my question would be does it increase fuel economy. If not, is there anything with a superchip to get fuel eco

Like stated above the fuel economy isn't going to be that good. Not in an older truck. Look up Sean at hemifever. Go to his website and you can buy the I2 intune through him. Once you get the tuner he will set you up with a custom tune. I'm running the hemifever 89 tune on my 2017 and like it a lot. I have full bolt ons too!
Maybe look into a cam, long tube headers, and CAI to open it up some and get the most of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

Chief115

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like stated above the fuel economy isn't going to be that good. Not in an older truck. Look up Sean at hemifever. Go to his website and you can buy the I2 intune through him. Once you get the tuner he will set you up with a custom tune. I'm running the hemifever 89 tune on my 2017 and like it a lot. I have full bolt ons too!
Maybe look into a cam, long tube headers, and CAI to open it up some and get the most of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you guys have some great things to say. I'm not expecting to get much mileage out of the truck, I didn't buy it for that. But, then again if I didn't try and see what I could improve it what kinda DIY mechanic would I be

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure if your year has a pcv valve, but I put a new one in along with new plugs and went from 12 mpg to 13 mpg.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a diablosport and running the hemifever 93 tune. Impressive gain over stock. Truck has tons of power and his tcm tune pulls real good. Love the throttle response he added into it to. Plus every time I add a mod that requires some adjustment, he sends ya a revised tune in no time. I recommend him.