Two questions.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So two questions on my 99 Ram ...first is when on max cold it randomly switches itself from blowing out the vents to out the defrosters. Sometimes it switches back and other times I have to turn it off a bit then back on to get it back on right.....makes no sense to me.....secondly when lugging the engine it has a bit of a surge or gallop....only thing I havent replaced is the cap and rotor....plugs are new. Could that be the issue or is there something else going on?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
For your A/C issue, that sounds a lot like your blend door actuator. It's the vacuum controlled door that changes air flow between the different vent settings

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Most likely a check valve under the hood. Cheap fix. The lugging could be the cap and rotor or possibly something else. But would look into that a little deeper

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I say vacuum leak...

The vacuum leak is allowing the HVAC to default back to DEF more under heavy loads and then returns back normal vent position when you let off the throttle.

As for the surge that is also from the vacuum leak because now the computer is trying to compensate for the vacuum leak (lean condition) and the fuel mixture is being fouled most likely on the passenger side when the vacuum line hooks up.

I say fix the vacuum leak and the rest will go away. I went to the hardware store picked up about 10 feet of vinyl tubing replace all the plastic crap lines under the hood... No more of that problem for my 96...

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Good call man. Never thought to do that.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lmao nope just givin me more idea. Lol

RobS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
simply j/y fix, its the vaccum tube on the passenger side of the manifold...been there, done that, pop it off a junker base model (if you can find one...reffering to a truck without cruise control, there plugged off) most likely you'll find its the same as yours with plugs for a/c, blow threw it one way, if you can, try sucking the other way, if it locks up on the sucking way, its good...if not go to the auto parts store....

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well no vacuum leaks to be found but I did find my PCV valve was gummed up and stuck. Got it loose bit need to just replace it. It helped but hasn't fixed all my problems ....the ac ducts still change themselves and I need to reset the check engine light.

OP
OP
BennyLumpkin

BennyLumpkin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Talked to a guy I know that swears dirt lays in the top of the injectors because they have no filter or return system. Pulled them last night and cleaned each one and replaced thr very bad cap and rotor. Ill know tonight how it runs. I cut one injector O ring so I had to get some today.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
hmmmmmm that is interesting. only other thing I can think to suggest is a compression test. May have a bad ring or something. Hey Moparman What about the TPS??