Upgraded Radio still no Carplay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LaurensN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you try an original Apple cable? I also had cheap aftermarket cable that wouldn't do anything (not even charge) but when I used an oem cable it worked.

Xsen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
5th - Are you running a custom engine tune?
Sorry for intruding, but how does engine calibration affect the head unit issues? Just really interested, rewriting original pcm would alter some parts of it, but for this to have such impact…

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry for intruding, but how does engine calibration affect the head unit issues? Just really interested, rewriting original pcm would alter some parts of it, but for this to have such impact…

On the diesel some tuners use an older base tune file and it can cause issues. First hand experience with it myself.

Fonsie96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I have a 2017 2500 Laramie Limited and recently purchased a 2021 8.4 Uconnect radio, an adapter and new usb media hub. No Carplay and no charging of my Iphone. Everything else works on the new Uconnect radio. Any help is appreciated. Is there a setting? I purchased a new "Apple" cable, tried 2 different media hubs, 2 different adapters, and also another 2021 radio. So, I am at a loss.

Thanks
Is the uconnect from a ram classic or 5th gen ram? I’ve noticed the same issue with my uconnect from a 2019 5th gen. It’s still the “one piece” radio but is the Delphi radio. It charges my phone and will request my phone to allow car play to be used while locked. I’ve installed a compass media hub pn 5XG28DX9AD I purchased on amazon. Does your aux or usb icon show in media? Mine will only show Bluetooth unless I unplug the Media hub then aux will come up.

Wondering if there’s some other step we need to take to make these operate.

Note: my reverse camera also states unavailable.

Hope we can figure this issue out. As spending the money on this stuff isn’t fun if it don’t work! Haha

Cheers

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Is the uconnect from a ram classic or 5th gen ram? I’ve noticed the same issue with my uconnect from a 2019 5th gen. It’s still the “one piece” radio but is the Delphi radio. It charges my phone and will request my phone to allow car play to be used while locked. I’ve installed a compass media hub pn 5XG28DX9AD I purchased on amazon. Does your aux or usb icon show in media? Mine will only show Bluetooth unless I unplug the Media hub then aux will come up.

Wondering if there’s some other step we need to take to make these operate.

Note: my reverse camera also states unavailable.

Hope we can figure this issue out. As spending the money on this stuff isn’t fun if it don’t work! Haha

Cheers
Known issue. Get a 4th Gen RAM 18-21 4c radio.

What's the word @ramchuck ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ramchuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
ok thought I should update, 2017 Ram 2500 Limited 8.4 Uconnect. I purchased a 2021 Uconnect 8.4, tried 2 different adapters, 2 different USB hubs, and no carplay, and no phone charging, and also the Ebay seller replaced the 2021 with another 2021 radio, so I tried 2 of everything. All of the truck functions and features work fine, and due to the screen resolution, my cameras look much better. Again if I do not use the "adapter" and plug in the original usb, the phone will charge, and the radio displays USB not supported.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok thought I should update, 2017 Ram 2500 Limited 8.4 Uconnect. I purchased a 2021 Uconnect 8.4, tried 2 different adapters, 2 different USB hubs, and no carplay, and no phone charging, and also the Ebay seller replaced the 2021 with another 2021 radio, so I tried 2 of everything. All of the truck functions and features work fine, and due to the screen resolution, my cameras look much better. Again if I do not use the "adapter" and plug in the original usb, the phone will charge, and the radio displays USB not supported.

Reach out to Mpgrimm2 that posted a response three posts above this one. He is the resident expert here and has the knowledge and add ons that may help you out. It appears you may have the wrong radio.