USB port won't recognize my thumb drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aZbittel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have music on a 32gb thumb drive and my 5" UConnect will not recognize it. When i go to the audio menu the "USB" option is greyed out. It is formatted like normal and the same drive worked fine in my previous car. I have it plugged into the labeled usb port inside the center console arm rest. Any advise? All music is .mp3 format. :flame:
Edit: Typo

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I have music on a 32gb thumb drive and my 5" UConnect will not recognize it. When i go to the audio menu the "USB" option is greyed out. It is formatted like normal and the same drive worked fine in my previous car. I have it plugged into the labeled usb port inside the center console arm rest. Any advise? All music is .mp3 format. :flame:

I had to try 3 different ones before I found one that worked in my Ram.

I don't think there's a pattern or anything specific to look for; it just likes some and doesn't like others. (And this is coming from an IT veteran; I don't believe in magical thinking...clearly it just doesn't recognize some drives.)

OP
OP
A

aZbittel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a way you organised the files on the one that worked?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Make sure it's formatted to FAT32, the HDs are picky.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Also, it seems to have a limit to the number of files it can see in any one folder, including the root directory. However, if it doesn't see anything, it's probably just not compatible. When I found a drive that worked, I had to piddle with the organization or it only saw 1000 files.

I ended up organizing mine into folders for each artist, then folders under each of those for each album. But I have a lot of full albums. If you have a lot of single tracks from albums, or don't care whether full albums play in order at the same time, you could just do it by artist.

EDIT: Or you could just make a bunch of folders and dump less than 1000 files in each. Also, I created a playlist (an .m3u) in the root directory to make sure it saw everything. Don't remember whether that was the thing that eventually got mine seeing everything or not.)

Keep in mind, I have the uConnect 3.0 (the baby/base one). Not sure how much of this will apply to the higher-end ones.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
hmmmm...good to know. i have a 2013 with uconnect 3.0 and couldn't get it to work so assumed you needed the better system. i also wish the galaxy s4 was more compatible with the 3.0. my sons iphone works using stereo controls where my galaxy has to use the phone controls

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
As soon as I got home with the vehicle I updated the Connect firmware. Since then, I've tried 1GB to 32GB USB drives with 5 to 500 files. Ive reformatted the small drives and nothing works. I've connected my iPod & iPhone> ZIP, NADA, Zilch. Nothing works. Is there a speed issue? Like GoPro requires a TF Class 10. I saw on another forum that a .JPG file is required? Really?

Thanks in advance,

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine had to be formatted FAT32 to work. NTFS would not work

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
Presumed FAT32 when UConnect instructions stated to format in that method. Owners manual says it may take a couple moments to recognize the device. Drove to work this morning, 30 min. same result. "No Media Found"

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Are all the drives you tried the same brand? It seems to not like some and to like others, which tells me either Ram or the drive manufacturers are playing fast and loose with the USB specs...

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
. I have it plugged into the labeled usb port inside the center console arm rest. Any advise? All music is .mp3 format. :flame:

Have you tried plugging it into the dash usb port? For some reason I'm thinking I read someplace that the usb port in the console only provides charging capabilities.

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
DASH Mount? WTF!?

I've tried 6 different USBs from 512k to 32GB, some freebees from shows to high-dollar secure USBs. All formatted FAT32, with MP3 tunes, & JPGs, to view on screen.
I was able to update the UConnect 3.0 system from the Armrest USB, however, I cannot play tunes through the Armrest. On the way home I bought a 3' pigtale to play music through the "Aux Jack". Same result, "No Media Available"

The Owner's manual makes no reference to a dash mounted USB or "Aux Jack". I pushed on all the empty switch panels and could not find a second USB or "Aux Jack". Tomorrow, I call the steelership.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine works in the console. i believe its a toshiba. it is a 16GB drive

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also, it seems to have a limit to the number of files it can see in any one folder, including the root directory. However, if it doesn't see anything, it's probably just not compatible. When I found a drive that worked, I had to piddle with the organization or it only saw 1000 files.

I ended up organizing mine into folders for each artist, then folders under each of those for each album. But I have a lot of full albums. If you have a lot of single tracks from albums, or don't care whether full albums play in order at the same time, you could just do it by artist.

EDIT: Or you could just make a bunch of folders and dump less than 1000 files in each. Also, I created a playlist (an .m3u) in the root directory to make sure it saw everything. Don't remember whether that was the thing that eventually got mine seeing everything or not.)

Keep in mind, I have the uConnect 3.0 (the baby/base one). Not sure how much of this will apply to the higher-end ones.

Just throwing this out there... I have a few hundred songs on my thumb drive, none of them in folders. But they are all labeled from when I downloaded them. The radio automatically separated them by artist/album by itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
Dealership says "Updates aren't available to the public." Funny, its right on the home screen, I was told to update before I registered the system....
Then they give me the 800 number for UConnect, who tells me to take it to the dealer. I think I will! Dealer told me the system has navigation & bluetooth. I will get them to fix everything...

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Have you tried plugging it into the dash usb port? For some reason I'm thinking I read someplace that the usb port in the console only provides charging capabilities.

I have a feeling that's the lower console (i.e., in front of buckets) they're talking about. The console in the jump seat on benches has a USB port that works just fine for flash drives. Both my '14 and '16 have had no problem connecting to it.

I guess I should have asked...which console, which port?

(FWIW, those of us with the Radio 3.0 don't have a dash USB port; only the jumpseat console one AFAIK.)

stretch78681

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 squirrel cage
Bad Media Hub

The consensus is that the media hub is bad and will be replaced under warranty. The folks at UConnect also shared that the wiring harness is a little different between the 3.0/5.0 & 8.4. So even if I drop in a 5.0 it wouldn't work as designed...

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Glad to hear you have a solution on the way. :)

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
with what AustinB said mine is the same way.
usb port on dash is for charging only I was told (2013 ram)
If mine wont play, I just unplug and plug back in, plays fime then