Used truck prices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Was contemplating a Power Wagon and inquired about a trade on my truck

Loaded 2020 Limited with 20k miles, only options it does not have are the sport hood and skid plates. It has everything else, rambox, cargo group, Ram tonneau, the thing is loaded.

$47,500. So it appears, at least in my area the used buying prices have tanked

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My mother just sold my step-fathers 2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn back to the dealer today for $28,000. Had 67,000 miles. Betting they advertise it for $35,000.
Casually looked at a 2020 2500 Laramie 6.4 the other night with 9700 miles on it. Original window sticker said $58,000. They have it advertised for $55,000

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The HDs are a lot harder to find still, so they arent even trying to deal on them anywhere. The other issue you cant hardly find any either.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Loaded 2020 Limited with 20k miles, only options it does not have are the sport hood and skid plates. It has everything else, rambox, cargo group, Ram tonneau, the thing is loaded.

I think they are hedging their bets. Dealerships who bought a bunch of "pandemic level pricing" trucks at auction are upside down on them just like individual buyers are/will be. I bet they still list it high no matter what they pay you.

You may do better selling on your own then buying a new truck vs trading, especially if your state doesn't have a sales tax advantage on trades.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

If it's a 1500, I can understand that. There has been a lot of 1500 inventory for a while now at my local dealer. The HD's still seem to commanding good trade in values though, since they are still scarce.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mother just sold my step-fathers 2017 1500 Laramie Longhorn back to the dealer today for $28,000. Had 67,000 miles. Betting they advertise it for $35,000.
Casually looked at a 2020 2500 Laramie 6.4 the other night with 9700 miles on it. Original window sticker said $58,000. They have it advertised for $55,000
And yep. Advertised for $35,000...lol

Zorin

Reaction score
Here's an interesting thought for you on used car pricing - follow me, because this is a bit lengthy.

Once the supply chain problems hit and car prices went up, all the dealers howled.

We can't buy cars for this price and we have to sell them at a higher price, so you need to loan more!

The banks said screw it, everyone's getting free money, so we'll go 120% LTV on loans. Then people started asking for forebearance, pushing these car notes out a year. Now that year is up, cars are losing value, AND people can't pay the notes. Worse, all these dealers that bought overpriced inventory are sitting on it, because they can't get what they want out of them. So, over the next six months you're going to see a little miniature auto loan crisis unfold. Just like the 2008 housing loan crisis, but with cars this time.

There's plenty of used cars now, and soon, there will be TONS more. More than really can be sold at this price level. Factor in interest going up, and people simply can't pay for these cars.

So now, you truly do have a depreciating asset, backed by dog**** loans that are the result of greedy people playing games with other people's money. Now they can't do 120% LTV, because they can't sell those loans as quality financial instruments to other banks or hedge funds so that they can continue originating loans. This means banks will go back to 80% LTV, meaning you need a bigger down payment or a cheaper car.

So, credit will get harder to get, people cannot pay these overinflated prices, and stick interest rate hikes on top - that by the way is affecting the dealer's floorplan. All the cars they bought at inflated prices are now losing value, AND their interest rates are rising on the cars sitting on their lots. It's one-two punch.

Wanna stay in business? Sink or swim, baby! Prices are going to have to come down, because people are tapped out.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
If it's a 1500, I can understand that. There has been a lot of 1500 inventory for a while now at my local dealer. The HD's still seem to commanding good trade in values though, since they are still scarce.

The high end trucks haven't seen nearly as much movement, especially the "specials" that are very difficult to procure new. Used Raptor prices have continued to rise. Bronco (I know, not a truck, stick with me here) haven't seen any sign of collapse. HDs are harder to get so I think you're right in that they've held value longer.

I've been watching the truck market for about 6 months very closely, and that's been my observation from watching pricing trends and seeing what trucks were at when they go 'no longer available' on autotrader, cars.com, carfax, etc.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Here's an interesting thought for you on used car pricing - follow me, because this is a bit lengthy.

Once the supply chain problems hit and car prices went up, all the dealers howled.

We can't buy cars for this price and we have to sell them at a higher price, so you need to loan more!

The banks said screw it, everyone's getting free money, so we'll go 120% LTV on loans. Then people started asking for forebearance, pushing these car notes out a year. Now that year is up, cars are losing value, AND people can't pay the notes. Worse, all these dealers that bought overpriced inventory are sitting on it, because they can't get what they want out of them. So, over the next six months you're going to see a little miniature auto loan crisis unfold. Just like the 2008 housing loan crisis, but with cars this time.

There's plenty of used cars now, and soon, there will be TONS more. More than really can be sold at this price level. Factor in interest going up, and people simply can't pay for these cars.

So now, you truly do have a depreciating asset, backed by dog**** loans that are the result of greedy people playing games with other people's money. Now they can't do 120% LTV, because they can't sell those loans as quality financial instruments to other banks or hedge funds so that they can continue originating loans. This means banks will go back to 80% LTV, meaning you need a bigger down payment or a cheaper car.

So, credit will get harder to get, people cannot pay these overinflated prices, and stick interest rate hikes on top - that by the way is affecting the dealer's floorplan. All the cars they bought at inflated prices are now losing value, AND their interest rates are rising on the cars sitting on their lots. It's one-two punch.

Wanna stay in business? Sink or swim, baby! Prices are going to have to come down, because people are tapped out.
Just read a report the other day about how repossessions are the rise along with banks charge off mostly due to bad car loans, many owners who are under water are lettings their cars, trucks SUV's be repo'ed so I expect to see used car prices drop in the near future...

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The high end trucks haven't seen nearly as much movement, especially the "specials" that are very difficult to procure new. Used Raptor prices have continued to rise. Bronco (I know, not a truck, stick with me here) haven't seen any sign of collapse. HDs are harder to get so I think you're right in that they've held value longer.

I've been watching the truck market for about 6 months very closely, and that's been my observation from watching pricing trends and seeing what trucks were at when they go 'no longer available' on autotrader, cars.com, carfax, etc.
Yep, no doubt any vehicles that are still in short supply from the manufacturer will still likely command higher resale/trade in value. But everyone that has been buying vehicles for more than the last couple of years knew this was just a weird bubble that was going to burst once inventory started to catch up. As I've said, it is the primary reason I upgraded my 18 2500 to a 22 2500. But I don't expect to ever see anything like it again.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Duplicate, not sure how that happened.

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And yep. Advertised for $35,000...lol
Here it is but they haven't taken a pic yet. The rear taillight lens has a piece broken out and they were going to replace that so maybe they are waiting for that to take pics. No idea

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im very tempted…caught myself cruising lots. Just thinking about the work Ive done on this one, keeps me from making a move…plus the wife unit would shoot me. In 2018 I took one car in for a state inspection and came home with this lol.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
Interest rates are climbing and are almost 3 full points higher than what I saw at last check a few months ago. That alone will slow buying. Give it some time changes and somewhat lower prices are coming IMO.

Steve King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He is the other issue with prices and why they may stay high… They have signed laws that are forcing car manufacturers to make a certain percentage of their cars electric. This percentage goes up every year. I know Chevy as of August doesn’t make a small gas powered car anymore. So the demand for gas powered cars will go up since they are not producing them anymore. Electric trucks are on the way and only have a limited range but they have to produce them at a percentage of what they are selling. Strap in and buckle up going to be bumpy!

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
He is the other issue with prices and why they may stay high… They have signed laws that are forcing car manufacturers to make a certain percentage of their cars electric. This percentage goes up every year. I know Chevy as of August doesn’t make a small gas powered car anymore. So the demand for gas powered cars will go up since they are not producing them anymore. Electric trucks are on the way and only have a limited range but they have to produce them at a percentage of what they are selling. Strap in and buckle up going to be bumpy!
The demand will go up as long as people continue to pay high prices. If a big portion of those people stop paying those inflated or MSRP prices then we'll see prices drop.

The jump in interest rates I mentioned above means about a $100 increase in payment based on the average credit score. That's substantial and knocks a large percentage of buyers out of the market. If the interest rates continue to rise the market will slow some. We'll see dealer incentives with lower interest rate offers here and there but that's only for new vehicles.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just the opposite around if you're looking for a 5th gen. My dealer has zero 5th gens, and about twenty new 4th gens (sorry, Classics).

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 79480 miles

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just the opposite around if you're looking for a 5th gen. My dealer has zero 5th gens, and about twenty new 4th gens (sorry, Classics).
I didn't pay any attention to Classics vs 5th gen. To be honest, I don't know what to look at to be able to tell, as I have not been interested in a 1500. Is the badge on the side of the hood the tell?

My local dealer shows 8 Classics and 43 non-Classics in inventory:

They show 10 trucks with the Cummins, but only 3 are actually on the lot. The rest are "in transit".

OP
OP
Farmer Fran

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
Yes, the HDs come out of Mexico and a piece back they were stuck in Mexico, so there is a backlog now getting them to the USA

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I didn't pay any attention to Classics vs 5th gen. To be honest, I don't know what to look at to be able to tell, as I have not been interested in a 1500. Is the badge on the side of the hood the tell?

My local dealer shows 8 Classics and 43 non-Classics in inventory:

They show 10 trucks with the Cummins, but only 3 are actually on the lot. The rest are "in transit".

Yes, if it has the badge on the side of the hood it's a 5th gen. The "classic" is the 4th gen continued on. Current production HD trucks are a mix of 4th and 5th gen, or 4.5 gen if you like.