Valve seals wont stay seated.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul lynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey, folks. I've had a problem with my 14 Ram 1500. I did a cam kit install, which came with the cam, springs, shims, pushrods and lifters. It was a purchase from Jay green about a couple years back and noticed shortly after she is eating oil like no other. I knew right away, them ebay valve seals got me. I should have known better, right?! I opened it up and found most of the valve seals were indeed just floating on the steam. So, I replaced them with felpro valve seals and it seemed to take care of the issue. However, after a week or so it's burning oil again. I made sure I seated them new seals well but they are not staying seated. I haven't opened it back up but I know what I'm going to find. I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem? I don't have any idea. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

ctwalton15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I took my heads to the machine shop when my cam went they suggested to "pin" the valve seats cause the chrysler motors have some issues, the hemi's don't have as big as a problem as the pentastar they said but still happens from time to time on the hemis. I told them to go ahead, may as well while they had it. I should've snapped pictures of them but didn't think about it :/

OP
OP
P

Paul lynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good to know. I wouldn't think the valve seats would contribute to seals not staying in place, though...?!...you wouldn't think anyway.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use felpro seals and always take a small socket same size as the metal ring and lightly tap down on the seals until they seat never had one come off.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not doubting your work, but you're sure they were fully seated? Did they go on 'tight'?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I took my heads to the machine shop when my cam went they suggested to "pin" the valve seats cause the chrysler motors have some issues, the hemi's don't have as big as a problem as the pentastar they said but still happens from time to time on the hemis. I told them to go ahead, may as well while they had it. I should've snapped pictures of them but didn't think about it :/
Valve seats & seals 2 totally different things.

OP
OP
P

Paul lynch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use felpro seals and always take a small socket same size as the metal ring and lightly tap down on the seals until they seat never had one come off.
That's exactly what I did. This seems to be how things work for me. I rebuild the ram,, oh but guess what, I got a problem that I shouldn't have or no one has.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's the process for pining them? Is it one pin per seal?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What's the process for pining them? Is it one pin per seal?
Seals aren't pinned,it's the valve seats that are pinned,and it's the earlier heads that had problems with the seats dropping and destroying an engine.
You can machine the valve guides to accept poly stop seals,which then clip onto the valve guide

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I knew about the 'seats' ...must have read it wrong thinking the seals could be pinned. I was thinking in my head ...how to do that (safely)... Cheers!

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it comes down to it and you are going to pull the heads just take them to a machine shop its going to be something stupid this really isnt a common issue at all.

Joseph Godvin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The "SEAT" problem were in early heads 3.7 and 4.7 aluminum heads, not 5.7 that I'm aware of, My daughter overheated her jeep 3.7 witched then dropped several seat out of place and bent valves and damaged pistons. replaced the heads.never had any more problems.