Vibration when accelerating at low speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2016 ram 1500 sport 5.7l awd, 79k mi, considering doing a diff service and trans service since I got it at 44k miles to correct but the truck drives perfectly fine untill you try to reaccelerate at lower speeds.

If you gas straight to 65 no vibration or rumble from passenger front. I did notice a leaking oil filter (seal was no good) and low oil but not off the dipstick low.

When accelerating lightly passed 30 mph the car will begin to rumble/vibrate aggressively (sounds like leaving a game controller on the floor and letting it vibrate) once you get 5 mph higher or accelerate harder the issue goes away. If you accelerate - coast - accelerate lightly it will rumble intermediately up to 55 mph upon accelerating after letting off the gas. Anything over and it just doesn’t duplicate. Hoping flushing the transfer case, transmission, rear diff may fix this but any insight would help?

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
There's a whole bunch of reasons that could happen. Bad cv axle, transmission shudder, tire balance is off, etc... I would have a shop troubleshoot the issue for you.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you kick the tranny down to a lower gear and keep accelerating, does it still vibrate?

Have you put it in N crawled under the vehicle and wiggled all the primary driveline components? Particularly the rear U-joint in the rear driveshaft, and the center bearing (if your truck has one) ... Also front driveshaft and CV's as was mentioned before. CV don't rotate very fast so I doubt it those, but check anyway.

Note: The driveline has to be 'un-bound' in order to check these things. You might have to lift one front and one rear tire off the ground to unload the driveline before you check the driveline.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Try using the ERS buttons on the steering wheel to disable the engine MDS. With the transmission in drive, pree the Gear - button then the Gear + button so that the transmission is limited to 8th gear.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like mentioned above turn MDS off almost sounds like what your feeling.

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll try this weekend. It’s weird to me. I don’t trust shops. This is probably the last Chrysler product because 4/4 locations were absolutely horrible dealers. So bad I canceled my warranty and don’t want to look back. I’ll post my findings by Saturday. Thanks to all who chimed in

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll try this weekend. It’s weird to me. I don’t trust shops. This is probably the last Chrysler product because 4/4 locations were absolutely horrible dealers. So bad I canceled my warranty and don’t want to look back. I’ll post my findings by Saturday. Thanks to all who chimed in
Unfortunatly its just not chrysler all brand dealers suck when it comes to repair.

Jane S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 ram 1500 sport 5.7l awd, 79k mi, considering doing a diff service and trans service since I got it at 44k miles to correct but the truck drives perfectly fine untill you try to reaccelerate at lower speeds.

If you gas straight to 65 no vibration or rumble from passenger front. I did notice a leaking oil filter (seal was no good) and low oil but not off the dipstick low.

When accelerating lightly passed 30 mph the car will begin to rumble/vibrate aggressively (sounds like leaving a game controller on the floor and letting it vibrate) once you get 5 mph higher or accelerate harder the issue goes away. If you accelerate - coast - accelerate lightly it will rumble intermediately up to 55 mph upon accelerating after letting off the gas. Anything over and it just doesn’t duplicate. Hoping flushing the transfer case, transmission, rear diff may fix this but any insight would help?
awd????????????????/ or 4wd?

A couple of things to check.

1 bearing going bad

2 sympathetic vibrations - something is lose and it causes the vibrations

3. look at bushing

4. trans case, transmission, rear diff - I've never heard of those things causeing what you are describing.

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apologies. 4wd. It’s not the rear diff. In 4wd it doesn’t make any new vibrations. I’ve had a lot of experience with bad rear diffs. This is specific to the front right engine bay. I cant feel it in the petals. It’s more heard than felt. No loss of power yet. I only posted because I’ve never had a vibration like that. I was considering motor mount or something in that area but once I heard the mds solenoids it seems like a spot on description.

Currently hear ticking on cold starts (which is exactly what hemi tick sounds like), poor gas mileage and I mean about 8-10 mpg even at highway speeds cruising. And a random vibration only when pushing the gas after slowing down and speeding back up. Or just taking off from a stop. If the gas is floored nothing. So I used that idea to cancel out any kind of physical loose item.

It’s almost as if it has a rough idle but it’s not a noise at idle. I’ll see if I can get it on video. But I’ll be replacing mds sensors next weekend. I found all 4 for 165 on rockauto.

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That i dont believe. I worked at a very respectful dealership and then watched a Chrysler dealership destroy peoples cars while waiting for an oil change. I’m sorry. But to pay demon money and have some ass whole manager come with a metal pry tool and put all kinds of damage to the dash board, seat frames come apart, engine failure due to poor designs, I’ve seen a bunch. I would never buy another Chrysler product. I said it last time and then the same issues reoccurred in the truck I got after a jeep. I was stupid to give them another chance.

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mds it is, and with that being said should I expect the fix to just be a stuck solenoid or should I expect a motor issue like I’ve seen in a view videos doing research? It runs and drives fine with mds deactivated.

Bandit1859

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Could be mds system

bluecheese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mds it is, and with that being said should I expect the fix to just be a stuck solenoid or should I expect a motor issue like I’ve seen in a view videos doing research? It runs and drives fine with mds deactivated.
I had the same issue, and it was driving me crazy until I discovered how to turn off the MDS. Funny thing, now that I turn off the MDS every time I drive the truck, my gas mileage has actually gone up.

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You know, I thought I was crazy! It’s funny you mention this as I Water possibly 250 a week in gas, but if I drive the car and shift my own gears i waste about 150 a week. I noticed it before but I thought I was going crazy. I’m honestly going back to the Honda world. I’ll take a crv over this truck and the stupid designs chrysler makes any day!

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be mds system
It is. When I pulled the solenoids the magnet “holder” was broken to pieces. I’m ordering the crown holder and I ordered solenoids that are not plastic so whoever gets this truck next, more power to them! 80k mile truck and probably will save them a lot if headache untill they find the next horrible feeding flaw chrysler created.

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be mds system
Hey, not sure if i should go further here but the mds solenoids made the noise quieter, but its still there. Its basically sounds like grinding off the diff but its the mds system. What should i do next? I really don’t want to tear a motor apart!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Hey, not sure if i should go further here but the mds solenoids made the noise quieter, but its still there. Its basically sounds like grinding off the diff but its the mds system. What should i do next? I really don’t want to tear a motor apart!
Did it fix the vibration? How many miles on your rig?

OP
OP
K

Kidcia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did it fix the vibration? How many miles on your rig?
Sorry for the late response, busy with work.

2016 dodge ram 1500 sport 5.7l hemi, 78ish thousand miles, and no it did not fix the issue. It silenced it a bit so its not as aggressively loud but its still there. Im assuming i need cams and rollers at this point. I found the oil filter was leaking so i swapped it out as well and added exactly one court of oil. Truck also has an exhaust leak from headers. I ordered a tune / ecu swap from diablo to cancel the mds. No mds activated, no noise. I drove 1 hour and not a noise. Drove 4 min with eco activated and the minute i took off again i heard the grinding/ vibration.

dcfanforlife89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Any updates experiencing similar issues...