Vin Check vs Door Sticker vs Build Sheet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camper David

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi345
Just made a deposit on a 2003 2500. What can a Vin Check tell me that the door sticker does not ? Would finding the build sheet be better ? Thanks Yall.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I get the build sheet for sure. It's free, electronic file downloaded to save easily, and it's come in handy a couple of times for me. I do the same thing with window sticker if car is new enough.

VIN check can tell you if it's had any wrecks/flood/etc, been a lease vehicle, any maintenance that was documented, and some list recalls for VIN.

There's a Mopar site you can drop the vin number in for recalls for free and tells you if they've been done on the vehicle too. Not sure how many Years back it goes for cars though. I'll go look for links and update with the ones I use.

Window Sticker:

Build sheet URL: **Add your VIN at end of web address**

Mopar recall info:

VIN check site (Free with some info, for me was enough to find the big issues)

Also don't forget to check out dealers website as well as other sites they list on for free Carfax (Cargurus, Trucar, Carfax, Cars.com are good ones to check)

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You won't be able to get a window sticker for a vehicle that old.

Brunnie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Still looking
In my search for a used 2500, I just used vincheck and it says the truck I'm looking at is a diesel. When I used the build sheet site it says it has a gas engine, just like what the dealer says it has. Other vin sites I've used have also confirmed it to be a gas engine. I don't think that vincheck is all that accurate, just my opinion.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I only trust (and only so far) the OEM build sheet generator. I have actually found minor errors on there but nothing serious.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
In my search for a used 2500, I just used vincheck and it says the truck I'm looking at is a diesel. When I used the build sheet site it says it has a gas engine, just like what the dealer says it has. Other vin sites I've used have also confirmed it to be a gas engine. I don't think that vincheck is all that accurate, just my opinion.
I've seen some discrepancies across some sites that charge, window stickers not available and cars that are new enough to get one and none show, as well as other ones as well. But when they do work for free they can be valuable in finding the right vehicle you want, or identifying details to repair/replace on one you own.

If anyone has additional links that you have seen work for you, please post those as well. This can't be all of them.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You can always ask one of the Mopar Clubs in your area

This is a very interesting video on Dodge trucks & Diesel engines

Last edited: