Warlock on 17" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Anyone put 17" wheels on their Warlock (either OEM or aftermarket)?

Looking to get some ideas as to how it will look

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your current tires are 275/60/20 the go with a 285/70/17, those are pretty much the same diameter and your speedometer/odometer will be correct
275x60xR20-285x70xR17.png

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I was looking to see if anyone had aftermarket 17" wheels on their Warlock.

I tried finding an OEM set of 17s for sale, but that's impossible to find (at a good price), so I'll go towards the aftermarket option.
Winter tires are a lot cheaper for the 17s.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Walock came fitted with 20" alloy rims which I use for my summer wheels.

I bought 17" OEM steel rims from the dealer for $60/rim and had BFG KO2s mounted for my winter wheels. The truck was picked up in January, with the 17" rims installed.

If I didn't already own the 20" Michelin Defender tires with low mileage, I would have looked for another set of 17" alloy rims for summer wheels.

The lower profile tires on the truck don't accomplish much for comfort, AFAIC.

The case in point, I use E-rated 245/75/17 BFGs pressured to 42 F & 40 R and they're not much more noisy or rough than the C or D-rated 275/60/20 Defenders pressured to the same.

The qualification of 'not much more noisy' is pretty subjective and yes, I always notice the difference at wheel change time. The Defenders are somewhat quieter/smoother running but the taller BFGs seem to absorb curbs, pavement seams, and obstructions noticeably better.

My logic is, if the 10-ply E-rated tires can come remotely close to the lower-profile Defenders, that reduced profile is the most likely reason why.

I have observed the same characteristics for wheels on my previous Tundra since about 2008.

Another caveat or consideration, if I were living in a warmer climate where the roads are smoother and my primary use was pavement, the 20" rims with the lower profile would be of consideration, just not where I live & drive. :cool:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking to see if anyone had aftermarket 17" wheels on their Warlock.

I tried finding an OEM set of 17s for sale, but that's impossible to find (at a good price), so I'll go towards the aftermarket option.
Winter tires are a lot cheaper for the 17s.

Call all the dealers, near & far, you might find a surprise like I did.

$60 each, brand spanking new at the dealership. That was 1.5 years ago, so, they may have jumped up in price 10-fold by now. LOL

UPDATE:

FYI, I just called a dealer in Ottawa who informed me he has 4 new steel rims available for $73 each.

He also said, if you find them anywhere, grab them quick because they're on back order for him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Thanks for the info!

I was looking for aftermarket or OEM 17" wheels (I don't want to put steel rims on the truck)

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info!

I was looking for aftermarket or OEM 17" wheels (I don't want to put steel rims on the truck)

I'm not certain about your area but here, the roads are covered in caustic crap all winter long.

Alloy wheels would have a limited life expectancy with winter use and certainly show cosmetic wear pretty fast.

The Ram OEM steel wheels are less expensive, far more resilient and look good with a hub cover, AFAIC.

YMMV

My BFGs LF.jpg

My BFGs LR.jpg

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Thanks!

What tire size are you running?
I was looking at the OEM size:
275-60-20
vs
the offroad package size:
265/70/17

and if I were to go from the 20" to 17", it would throw off the speedometer :/

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!

What tire size are you running?
I was looking at the OEM size:
275-60-20
vs
the offroad package size:
265/70/17

and if I were to go from the 20" to 17", it would throw off the speedometer :/

You're most welcome.

I had a difficult time locating my preferred tire size in the BFGs and accepted a close enough for me size. :cool:

I use 245/75/17 and they're fantastic in snow but the speedometer is off by about 4kph at 100kph.

I recently picked up AlfaOBD and plan to zero them in, this winter.

The OEM tire sizes are not required to maintain speedometer accuracy, you can use a tire comparison calculator to get the circumference/rpm* within 4%.

* That rpm is for revolutions per mile.

Or, if your tire of preference has a different circumference (more than 4% difference) and/or maintaining the speedometer accuracy is important, AlfaOBD will allow you to tweak sizes to perfection.

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Appreciate the detailed information!

Thanks again!

You're welcome.

So, now you can go to the tire manufacturer's website and use the sizes of your preferred tires to compare to the OEM sizes.

Or as previously mentioned, come close with the sizes and/or tweak with AlfaOBD. :cool:

jeeperrob_k3rob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentacrap
I know this is an older post. But what offset would I have to get to keep aftermarket wheels within the wheel wells as PA has archaic inspection laws and wont allow anything outside the wheel wells. I wanna downgrade to 18" Wheels and get more side wall. Any input would be appreciative.