Water condensation behind windshield (2016 -2500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shooterm001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 Ram 2500 big horn - I have noticed I’ve been getting a good amount of condensation inside of my windshield. I’ve replaced the 3rd brake light & that wasn’t the fix.
Anyone have any ideas what I should try next. My glove box Also had some condensation.
So I am assuming it’s possibly coming from the passenger side.
But seeing if anyone has suggestions or ideas.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The only "water" I've had in my truck was from the melted snow that stuck to my boots leaving 2 small puddles on the driver's side floor.

However, my wife's Eclipse would frequent accumulate interior moisture and condensation on the windshield and other windows.
I though it was a windshield seal and took it to get the glass replaced but the tech there had other ideas.
He looked and found a clogged sunroof drain at the front left corner, causing water to overflow and run down the A pillar.

Might want to start there. As for drying things out after resolving the initial cause, this has always worked well for me...

Choose the hanging bag in your favorite scent. ;)

EDIT: There are 4 sunroof drains, 1 at each corner. opne the sunroof and slowly pour water onto each making sure they drain well. I have never found anything in my garage that would work to clean one out. It needs to be long and flexible like spring steel, as regular wire always gets jammed at the 1st bend. Good luck!

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had condensation in my 1500 until I replaced the cab vents. There was enough water under the seats to cause it. Not saying that's your issue but worth looking into as well.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thank you. I’ll look at the cab vents.
My truck doesn’t have a sun roof

While in the vicinity, leaks have been known to come from the vents, as well as the "shark fin" antenna, the rear sliding window drains, and the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light).

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EDIT: There are 4 sunroof drains, 1 at each corner. opne the sunroof and slowly pour water onto each making sure they drain well. I have never found anything in my garage that would work to clean one out. It needs to be long and flexible like spring steel, as regular wire always gets jammed at the 1st bend. Good luck!
What has worked for me is string trimmer line. Depending on the diameter of the drain tubing it may work for various makes as the .060-.065 line is fairly thin and flexible. On a few occasions I’ve had to use aerosol dry lubricant sprayed into the line to navigate the twists and bends.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The seams that run the length of the roof under the rubber strips have also been known to leak,alibit leaks there aren't as common as the other leak points already pointed out in this thread,but if nothing else seems to be a leak point,they're worth checking.
The cab corners around the cowl area are also known leak points to,there's been a few guys who've had to reseal the cowl area.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What has worked for me is string trimmer line. Depending on the diameter of the drain tubing it may work for various makes as the .060-.065 line is fairly thin and flexible. On a few occasions I’ve had to use aerosol dry lubricant sprayed into the line to navigate the twists and bends.

I actually have spare spools on hand. Never tried it. I'll have to give it a shot.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I don't know about the sunroofs in the trucks,but the sunroof drains in the cars are famous for having a pinch point from the factory install,and in alot of instances you have to relocate the drain tube,so it's not pinched.
Whether the trucks with sunroofs have the same issue i don't know,as the regular cab trucks don't have sunroofs

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Although both our vehicles are not currently clogged I can still check for fit and success in getting the line all the way through.
Right now my trimmer lines are wound onto pretty small spools.
I think unwinding the line and letting it hang in the garage might help, and I can always use a hair dryer to heat it up a little.

We have a lot of trees and I constantly have to clean the sunroof seals on my truck and her Eclipse. It will become 10 times worse in the spring with pollen and various bits falling on the property.