Weight Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Certainly changing out gears puts you at that higher tow rating. I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I'm just saying I'd watch myself over the numbers. Realistically these trucks can probably handle more weight easily anyway. But there are plenty of people who see dollar signs when their in an accident. If some guy will sue McDonalds over a friggin napkin... Then I wouldn't put it past anyone to gripe over weight.

That being said, it's just something to keep in mind when you're thinking about doing mods to your truck so it will handle more weight.

Also, as someone who's traveled across quite a few states, I have been flagged into weigh stations twice with my rig. I'm not sure if they were looking at my weight as to my specs, or if they were looking to see if there was something else. Frankly I didn't ask with frustration of the stop... I do know I'm under my weights quite a bit though, so both times there was no issue.
But maybe others have been fined or something?

I don't know. Just an issue I don't think anyone should dismiss without realizing that the possible 'risk'. That's all.
Hoping you all aren't reading this thinking I'm just an ****** trying to ruin the fun!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I actually wish there was more enforcement as the a-holes in the "worst loads" thread put me and my family at risk. The guy towing a couple hundred pounds over his limit is not a big deal and could probably do with just a warning. But the guy with bald P-rated tires towing a 12,000# 5th wheel with his 1998 Chevy 1/2 ton has no business on the road IMO.

Those of us that do it right spend a lot of money and effort on trucks and related equipment in the name of safety.

Of course with all the things F-ed up in the world today this topic doesn't get many people's attention outside of the few of us who tow and care enough to do it right.

Good topic though for sure.... :favorites13:

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Agreed. Though I do feel like we're jacking the OPs thread. Sorry bout that.

To try to get him back on topic...
I've got a limited MC 2500 with a cargo max of 2700lbs. Most I've had in the bed has been 2k, and the most it's seen on a hitch has been 1k. Not at the same time.
Still, truck handled like a dream weighed down. I can only imagine those built for more will do the same at close to their max.

Still. What the heck could you put in a truck bed that would weigh 6500lbs? Aside from a smart car sandwich?

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
There is no risk. Ram rats the 6.4L with 4.10 to 15,000 lbs towing so where is the risk.

Also, I put over 2,100 lbs in the back of my bed and even towed trailers with over 2,000 tongue weight and the payload number of my 2500 is 1,800 lbs. I go over that all the time and have no problem doing it again.

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Agreed. Though I do feel like we're jacking the OPs thread. Sorry bout that.

To try to get him back on topic...
I've got a limited MC 2500 with a cargo max of 2700lbs. Most I've had in the bed has been 2k, and the most it's seen on a hitch has been 1k. Not at the same time.
Still, truck handled like a dream weighed down. I can only imagine those built for more will do the same at close to their max.

Still. What the heck could you put in a truck bed that would weigh 6500lbs? Aside from a smart car sandwich?

I actually have years back had over 6500 pounds in the bed of my old k2500 which was only rated to 7200 GVW with a curb weight of 5900. Yes I was way over I needed 1 yard of sand and 1 yards of 1/2 inch stone and made it in one trip 2 yards and 6500 plus on the cat scale. To the trucks credit it did not really even squat. Would I do that today no way, even though it was only 15 miles it was not smart and that truck's brakes were underdesigned to begin with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The 2016 two wheeler 6.4L/4.10 2500 RCLB is rated to tow 16,320lbs. Bugs me a bit I have a 3500 DRW that is rated almost 3k less. I'm sure if I had 4.10s my gas mile penalty would be minimal. So why on earth would they make my truckt with 3.73. Defies common sense. It will certainly tow what I need though, just crazy.

Someday I may do a gear swap, but I have heard the front diff is a bugger.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I actually have years back had over 6500 pounds in the bed of my old k2500 which was only rated to 7200 GVW with a curb weight of 5900. Yes I was way over I needed 2 yards of sand and 2 yards of 1/2 inch stone and made it in one trip 4 yards and 6500 plus on the cat scale. To the trucks credit it did not really even squat. Would I do that today no way, even though it was only 15 miles it was not smart and that truck's brakes were underdesigned to begin with.

Squat? You were on the bump stops and had no suspension left.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

My truck had to be registered commercial @ over $200.00 per year. What was a pain and most would not consider stopping was that I got flagged into a weigh station a couple weeks back. The dam things are almost never open this day it was and my truck was empty, but does have a tonneau. The cop told me because I had comm plate I had to pull in there, he did reg check and safety check saw my truck was empty so no scale check. I still can,t believe I had to go in there with a freakin pick up.

Did you have to also get a DOT number assigned for having commercial plates in NY state?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Did you have to also get a DOT number assigned for having commercial plates in NY state?

You only need to if you tow above a certain weight. I can't think of what it is off hand. In NYS all trucks are registered as commercial.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I am in Ct and no dot number

All trucks in NY are commercial plates? This is on the NY DMV webpage

http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/register-pick-truck-passenger-class-vehicle

Can I register my pick-up truck as a 'passenger' class vehicle?
Yes. Your pick-up truck can qualify for passenger class plates if it meets certain conditions, depending on its unladen weight.
If you have a modified or unmodified pick-up truck with an unladen weight less than 6,001 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements, and
the pick-up is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
If you have a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 lbs., then you may register it in the passenger class if it meets the following conditions:
the pick-up truck does not have any business advertisements and is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes
a camper top having one or more side windows completely encloses the truck bed,
the pick-up truck has seats, seat fittings, or camping equipment installed in the truck bed ('camping equipment' indicates that you have a bed, a stove, or a refrigerator in the vehicle)

Last edited:
OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Squat? You were on the bump stops and had no suspension left.

No it was not on the bump stops and the steering was normal. But it did not stay in the truck long I mixed it as soon as I got home. Again I would never do that today. The biggest issue was braking and as I said and has been my experience Chevy brakes suck.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No it was not on the bump stops and the steering was normal. But it did not stay in the truck long I mixed it as soon as I got home. Again I would never do that today. The biggest issue was braking and as I said and has been my experience Chevy brakes suck.

Considering the rule of thumb is a single yard of sand weighs about 3k and you say you had 2 plus 2 yards of rock at about 2700 per yard but not on bump stops? (11,400 total)

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Considering the rule of thumb is a single yard of sand weighs about 3k and you say you had 2 plus 2 yards of rock at about 2700 per yard but not on bump stops? (11,400 total)

My mistake you are correct, I took a full bucket of each but they were from a 1 yard bucket on the loader for a total of 2 yards. The weight on the scale that I paid for was 6500+ lbs. I corrected my post

Last edited: