Weird electric problems.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I am Erwin from The Netherlands (sorry for my English in advance) and drive a 2009 1500 Hemi.
I have a weird electric problem since a week. I hope someone here can help me before I spend lots of money at the dealer.

My low beam light on the passenger side goes on when I unlock the doors, but goes out after a few seconds. It won’t come on again until the next day when I open my doors. High beam doesn’t function on that side at all. Also my mirror on that side won’t defrost anymore. And my speedometer is not smooth in climbing up. It does it in hiccups (hope you guys know what I try to explain here?)

All these problems started at the same time, so I am thinking might be a fuse problem.
Hope anyone recognize this problem.
Thx in advance.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
I tend to think if it was a fuse problem, stuff would just stop working entirely.

Sounds more like an electronic problem to me. Maybe instrument panel, maybe wiring at one of the harnesses, maybe something else.

Have you had any work done on the truck recently? Anything shortly before the problem started, even if it seems unrelated?

If not, did anything weird happen once shortly before the problem showed up? A light bulb going out? Something getting hit or bashed? Snow or water getting someplace it shouldn't? Anything like that?

OP
OP
DPG

DPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you had any work done on the truck recently? Anything shortly before the problem started, even if it seems unrelated?

If not, did anything weird happen once shortly before the problem showed up? A light bulb going out? Something getting hit or bashed? Snow or water getting someplace it shouldn't? Anything like that?

My exhaust manifold had its gaskets replaced. Thats it.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I hear about intermittent problems like these I tend to think about a harness issue and wonder if any critters got in there and chewed something.

Since you recently had work done, the possibility of a mechanic nicking a wire may also exist. Give a close inspection around the area of work.

Also, clean your battery terminals to eliminate if that is an issue. I've seen that alone do some weird things.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Are there any other problems on the dash (other than the speedo jumping around)? It is possible one of your wheel speed sensors has a bad connection which then causes the speedo to go haywire, but it is normally accompanied by an ABS light.

Have you visually inspected the high beam bulb? Do you know the filament is intact? The low beam comes on when you unlock the truck, but then if you turn the headlights on/off, there is nothing?

OP
OP
DPG

DPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I hear about intermittent problems like these I tend to think about a harness issue and wonder if any critters got in there and chewed something.

Since you recently had work done, the possibility of a mechanic nicking a wire may also exist. Give a close inspection around the area of work.

Also, clean your battery terminals to eliminate if that is an issue. I've seen that alone do some weird things.

What do you mean by harness? is that the headlight unit as a whole?

Gonna check the terminals.

OP
OP
DPG

DPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are there any other problems on the dash (other than the speedo jumping around)? It is possible one of your wheel speed sensors has a bad connection which then causes the speedo to go haywire, but it is normally accompanied by an ABS light.

Have you visually inspected the high beam bulb? Do you know the filament is intact? The low beam comes on when you unlock the truck, but then if you turn the headlights on/off, there is nothing?

No other problems or abs light on the dash.
Didn't check the bulbs yet.
A day after i noticed these problems, the low beam came on again. I checked my high beam in a window, and when that came on my low went out. And vice versa. Did this 3 times until they both stopped working, and the low beam only works in the morning when i unlock my truck.

troutspinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I say harness I mean a wiring harness, ie, a bunch of wires bundled up and running together.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Never hurts to eliminate all the easy solutions. Go through check all the fuses just to be sure. Give a full inspection of the head lamp assmboly. Check all the wiring bundles around the exhaust manifold (as previously stated) other than that I don't have much for you until you eliminate the easy stuff.

OP
OP
DPG

DPG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thx all for the advice.
Gonna try all that when or better if I have the time :(
Otherwise next maintenance at my local grease monkey is on 1 December.

the-fisherman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ben je al achter de oorzaak?

(you know what was causing the problem?)