Weird smell upon start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey all, I recently just had my starter motor replaced in December due to corroded wires. This morning I went out and started my truck to let it warm up because of the cold weather and I noticed a burning smell, like wires or maybe electrical. Not sure what might cause this, I do have a couple of broken manifold bolts that will be replaced soon, but unsure what can cause this. The battery is just over 2 years old as well.

Thanks

Octane

Reaction score
Check your alternator.I had random odors coming from it.It was slightly overcharging at times.And getting hot.

OP
OP
C

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it worth testing the amperage? Or are these issues typically unrelated.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking very possible the blower speed resistor (HERE) got real hot. A combination of a dirty resistor and high blower motor resistance due to cold temps. The HVAC blower motor bearings are oil impregnated bronze bushings & shrink in the extreme cold and oil doesn't flow as well in the extreme cold. And therefore it takes more energy to start and run the blower in the initial period till the bearings warm up, expand like they should, and the lube warms up enough. Esp in Canadian deep winters. That extra resistance puts more strain on the resistor assembly and can make it hot for a period. That's designed into the resistor. But it could be compounded by a dirty resistor which can't cool as well. The smell would come out of the ducts. That could be what you were smelling. Just a thought.

Not an uncommon failure part. If they get dirty, they don't get the proper cooling airflow and can overheat and die. Or get knocked out by a failing blower motor. Or sometimes they just plain fail from age/corrosion, etc. You could remove your tks resistor assembly and inspect for burned areas on the board and clean if dirty. Maybe a good cleaning is all you need. Quick video HERE.

Less likely, but possibly the blower motor is getting wonky and high resistance in the windings(??). You could ohm out the leads to check if you were so motivated. As mentioned above, a high-resistance blower can knock out a resistor or two till ya finally figure out 3-resistors later, it's actually the motor killing them. But usually it's just the resistor. If you end up needing one, a guy can buy resistors a lot cheaper on ebay ($12-$15). But for now maybe it was a one-time thing. It might be worth a quick inspection and cleaning of the existing resistor assembly. Esp now that your tk is getting to be 10yrs old.

Just a thought . Good luck!! :waytogo:

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the feedback, will take a look. Now does that smell only occur in cab, I smelt it outside standing beside the driver side quarter panel.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the feedback, will take a look. Now does that smell only occur in cab, I smelt it outside standing beside the driver side quarter panel.
It make sure the wires for the starter are not touching anything but honestly It could be many things alternator is a good one had one catch fire once. You will find out when it either stops working or catches fire keep a fire extinguisher in the truck lol.

OP
OP
C

Chris19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Haha sounds good, ill see what amperage its outputting, I think this is the factory one, 180 amps I think. Any pros to running a heavier duty alternator. I know you can get over 200, but if no pros then no point I guess?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357