What is going on with my radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This has been happening for a while; I'm not sure how to best describe it, but I'll try my best. And I'll show you.

Here's what's going on. In the morning, say below 40 degrees, the right side of my radio screen is, well, messed up. Scrambled? A bunch of random colors. It stays that way until the truck warms up, the cab is heated, and will go away. On longer drives, it will scramble again. If I knock on the screen with my fist, it will suddenly go away. The knocking does not help when it's still cold.

Recently, it's been getting *way* worse, and has migrated to the other side of the screen to the point it's unusable. Can't see my audio controls, climate stuff, nor my backup camera.

My radio screen has always been funny in the cold. I bought this truck last January, and this weirdness was present. When it was in for some work I mentioned it but was told they couldn't reproduce the problem. Go figure.

Anyway, now that I'm on break from work, I'm able to take it and leave it for some time.

My questions to you: What's going on? Have you seen this before? How would you describe this to the service guys?

Here are some images. These are from a while ago. Tomorrow morning I'll take some more current photos and a video.

Thanks in advance.

?hash=24af855a5b242d315497732e94480d21.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This has been happening for a while; I'm not sure how to best describe it, but I'll try my best. And I'll show you.

Here's what's going on. In the morning, say below 40 degrees, the right side of my radio screen is, well, messed up. Scrambled? A bunch of random colors. It stays that way until the truck warms up, the cab is heated, and will go away. On longer drives, it will scramble again. If I knock on the screen with my fist, it will suddenly go away. The knocking does not help when it's still cold.

Recently, it's been getting *way* worse, and has migrated to the other side of the screen to the point it's unusable. Can't see my audio controls, climate stuff, nor my backup camera.

My radio screen has always been funny in the cold. I bought this truck last January, and this weirdness was present. When it was in for some work I mentioned it but was told they couldn't reproduce the problem. Go figure.

Anyway, now that I'm on break from work, I'm able to take it and leave it for some time.

My questions to you: What's going on? Have you seen this before? How would you describe this to the service guys?

Here are some images. These are from a while ago. Tomorrow morning I'll take some more current photos and a video.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 533706
The screen itself could be goin bad internally but I've seen similar distortion when the ribbon cable going to the screen isn't seated properly. You can open up the radio and reseat the cable to see if that helps or has any effect. I believe you can purchase just the cable if you think it may be the culprit after testing.

kyledriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it sounds dumb but have you checked that all of the hardnesses down by your feet are clipped together. I took a nap on break one day and accidentally kicked one open but not enough to full seperate the harness. So i was going crazy when the radio sometimes wouldn’t work or would be all fuzzy and glitchy.

OP
OP
Hirsbrunner

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Radio was replaced under warranty with MaxCare. The new one works just fine. In my research, I was able to find a replacement screen that one could put on in the case that it's delaminating. Mine wasn't, but pulling the screen off to check that connection wasn't hard. I think that screen ribbon was just bad. Who knows?

Again glad I purchased that MaxCare warranty. Total bill would've been about $2K for a new radio from Chrysler with install. I was out the door for $25.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Radio was replaced under warranty with MaxCare. The new one works just fine. In my research, I was able to find a replacement screen that one could put on in the case that it's delaminating. Mine wasn't, but pulling the screen off to check that connection wasn't hard. I think that screen ribbon was just bad. Who knows?

Again glad I purchased that MaxCare warranty. Total bill would've been about $2K for a new radio from Chrysler with install. I was out the door for $25.
That's great news!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357