What percentage of 5.7 hemis get the costly 'tick'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skidoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Tried Bing Co-pilot AI but it couldn't help. Wondering if there are any reliable stats. What percent of 2015 5.7 hemi v8 get the costly 'tick' after 100k miles. I might buy one if the price is right. I've been driving it mostly highway since new. Always regular oil change. semi or full synthetic Mobil. It hasn't had the tick yet.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Best guess is 8 to 10% unofficial. In a poll most cam fails happen between 70k and 130k miles. Hemi tick might effect more rams then cam fails, but it isnt always costly. Half ticks are harmless exhaust and a large percent of ticks can be fixed with proper lubrication. So when the rubber meats the road a very few rams actually need lifters and cam, but yes low percentage still is a large number of trucks. Nearly 1/2 a million rams sold each year, most are hemi's. So about ten years per generation is close to 4-5 million trucks. So even 2% of that number is huge, like 100,000. So if the % is double or triple what I think it is it looks bigger then it is except for those of us who get it. Even if you get a lifter tick it isnt a death nail til it is. Search threads in my sig. The bigger question if not ram then what. So early 90's fords with 351 are nice unless you tow heavy, but as bad as tick is rams have the best thing going. Coming from a guy who had lifter tick and fixed it.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Agreed with Burla above, but my guesstimate is less than 1%. Between all the chargers/challengers/jeeps/durango/rams being sold with hemis, there are millions on the road, and even a 3+% means we'd be flooded with reports daily. We simply don't see that.

OP
OP
S

skidoo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks! its good to get at least a ballpark idea. My friend ( a diehard Ford guy) thinks a majority of the 5.7 get a costly tick. I really like my Ram. Only major issue was the growling transfer case was replaced at 90,000 mi. The transmission shop ordered the Chrysler version, which they said was better. Oh, and the costly, non guaranteed A/C recharge, which I refused. We only use A/C maybe 10 days a year in Edmonton.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Tried Bing Co-pilot AI but it couldn't help. Wondering if there are any reliable stats. What percent of 2015 5.7 hemi v8 get the costly 'tick' after 100k miles. I might buy one if the price is right. I've been driving it mostly highway since new. Always regular oil change. semi or full synthetic Mobil. It hasn't had the tick yet.

My guess would be about the same as @ramffml above. .5 to 1% range.

You will find way more on this site and/or sites like this because people with issue(s) join.

Likely have exhaust bolt(s) breaking , which is often claimed to be hemi tick.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks! its good to get at least a ballpark idea. My friend ( a diehard Ford guy) thinks a majority of the 5.7 get a costly tick. I really like my Ram. Only major issue was the growling transfer case was replaced at 90,000 mi. The transmission shop ordered the Chrysler version, which they said was better. Oh, and the costly, non guaranteed A/C recharge, which I refused. We only use A/C maybe 10 days a year in Edmonton.
Good chance you just need a new o-ring to fix the A/C leak,and then a recharge.If you were closer to Airdrie,i'd send you to my guy,as he's done a bunch of them

2019_RPX_LTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque
All of the guessers above are damn close to ball park....

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
67% of all surveys provide 32% of the US recommended daily allowance of (insert your favorite word here).

Trying to get data to fight how someone "thinks" is a fool's errand. Just smile and reply "Well, everyone 'knows' FORD is an acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily"; this will elicit even more fun dialogue.

;)

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in Dodge country out here, The shop in town does at least 1 a week. So 3% would be my guess for Lifter failure But manifolds is way higher.

They see way more 3.6L Penstar garbage ticking. But then again, theres how many of those engines ? Heck I got on in my JK... lol...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
67% of all surveys provide 32% of the US recommended daily allowance of (insert your favorite word here).

Trying to get data to fight how someone "thinks" is a fool's errand. Just smile and reply "Well, everyone 'knows' FORD is an acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily"; this will elicit even more fun dialogue.

;)
Don't forget "Found on road dead" and "Flucking old rebuilt Dodge" :Big Laugh:

IdaRam4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gemí 5.7
I would think 100% between the different known reasons for the tick. The most predominant being the exhaust tick

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have to think exhaust manifold tick gets a quarter of the hemis given enough miles. I'm 2 for 2. Sucks they just replace the bolts and gasket and crank it back down under warranty nowadays unless it cracks.

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
How many 5.4 Triton's and 2011+ dual turbo ford v6 engines with timing chains have issues... the GMC/Chevy trucks rot like a bad apple in the sun with a bowl of maggots licking the steel...
Both have transmission issues with the 10-spds....

Every single OEM has their share of inherent engine and/or driveline issues. Ram is no different!

Heck... we all know UConnect sucks.... and most replace their head units with a quality aftermarket unit and the issues are all gone. I did, and I'm happier for it!

We all know the 5.7's have exhaust manifold issues... who cares.... when under warranty... get the minions to repair/replace the issues... after warranty... get headers (shorty or long-tube) and be done with it forever! I did, and I'm happier for it!

There's a known tick issue with the 5.7's.... do your homework and be prepared... use great synthetic oil and filter and ride it out.... I'm at 156,000Km's and my HEMI pounds like a charging silverback gorilla!

We like what we like... nothing is perfect, and in today's world... everything is designed to fail...
However, it's up to us, those informed and prepared to action a better deliverable for our own ownership experience, to mitigate the issues, overcome, adapt, and persevere for the betterment of our own sanity ;)

This is all just my opinion only...I speak for no one but myself ;)

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I still wonder if the exhaust behind the manifolds might have something to do with the broken manifold bolts.It's always the rear ones that break,and that's where most of the exhaust weight would be located.Only thinking this,because the 5.7 cars use basically the same cast iron log manifold,and they don't break the back bolts anywhere near as much as the trucks do,and they don't use a mid pipe like the trucks do,or hang as much weight off the manifolds with their dual pipe set-up , that runs to a X crossover quite aways back of the cats.
If it was strictly expansion/contraction breaking the bolts,or mds kicking in,you'd think the trucks would break the middle bolts instead of always breaking the back bolts.The cars also cycle the same cylinders in mds mode,and don't break the back bolts.
The basic differance between the cars and trucks are the midpipe / midpipes on the cars