What's That Sound?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Well, my wife and I were sitting in the truck (2014 1500 Longhorn) waiting to get off the ferry today. The truck was not running, just sitting there. Then there was a creaking sound (creeeeeeeaaak), maybe three times, coming from the dash area. She says, What's that? I don't know, maybe a vent door opening or closing (??). She says, You could ask on that forum that you are always on... (!!) So, I am asking, any ideas?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, my wife and I were sitting in the truck (2014 1500 Longhorn) waiting to get off the ferry today. The truck was not running, just sitting there. Then there was a creaking sound (creeeeeeeaaak), maybe three times, coming from the dash area. She says, What's that? I don't know, maybe a vent door opening or closing (??). She says, You could ask on that forum that you are always on... (!!) So, I am asking, any ideas?
When you turn your truck off after a little while you're vent doors and all your HVAC controls move back to a neutral position. They will creek and make a little noise this is completely normal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MileHighPair

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Wow, this forum is great. I had exactly the same question, as just this afternoon, the wife and I were sitting in the truck exploring the dash displays and we were puzzled by these noises also. Thanks!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've noticed the HVAC blend doors actuate when you open a door, even after the truck has been sitting/not running for a long time. Our 2013 Grand Caravan did the same thing. I've never noticed anything other than FCA vehicles do this. Maybe they do, you just don't hear it.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine goes. Hsssshhhhhh gurggle gurgle.

I hate it and when I want air it takes about 10 seconds before all the valves move and I get air out of the vents.

1st world problems.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Longhorn1500

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Mine goes. Hsssshhhhhh gurggle gurgle.

I hate it and when I want air it takes about 10 seconds before all the valves move and I get air out of the vents.

1st world problems.

First world problems, aye!! If this is the only thing we have to worry about, life is pretty good!

Robert Harris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When you turn your truck off after a little while you're vent doors and all your HVAC controls move back to a neutral position. They will creek and make a little noise this is completely normal.

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie. I replaced the vent door actuators a few years ago when one of them failed. It has recently started making the creaking noise when I turn on the key, not when I shut it off. It stops after a couple of minutes, but it's loud and annoying. It sounds like something (probably a vent door) needs to be lubricated, but not sure what. Any ideas?? Thanks.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie. I replaced the vent door actuators a few years ago when one of them failed. It has recently started making the creaking noise when I turn on the key, not when I shut it off. It stops after a couple of minutes, but it's loud and annoying. It sounds like something (probably a vent door) needs to be lubricated, but not sure what. Any ideas?? Thanks.
If it's so loud that it's annoying I would try to figure out which door it is and try to lubricate it. Hopefully it's one of the doors that's easier to get to and you won't have to pull the dash back to get to it.