What's the advantage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For the record, I have the Bilstein kit that you linked. I expected it to also improve my ride. It leveled the truck out great but it did not improve my ride much at all. If I had it to do over again I would buy the Thuren set up for $100 or $200 more. I've not heard a bad thing about them.

Derek Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool. Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I've never hauled a camper so was curious.

OP
OP
POINTMAN380

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Is a 8000lb camper that tongue heavy that even with air bags it overloads the rear axle?
Without bags, my truck squats to level. After I add the leveling kit and raise the front, I will have rear squat and less weight on the front axle/wheels/brakes....which is dangerous. Hence my need for airbags to lift the rear and put more weight towards the front. At least that's how I see it in my mind.

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And so if a guy has to do all this stuff to make a truck that will work... work. Why lift the front end an inch or two? It does nothing to help the truck. I've read tons of these threads and it seems to me that a guy should just leave well enough alone. Why do a mod that neuters the truck and then do another mod to fix the mod the messed up the truck in the first place? We used to call that "throwing good money after bad" Call me old school but... if it works don't fix it!

OP
OP
POINTMAN380

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And so if a guy has to do all this stuff to make a truck that will work... work. Why lift the front end an inch or two? It does nothing to help the truck. I've read tons of these threads and it seems to me that a guy should just leave well enough alone. Why do a mod that neuters the truck and then do another mod to fix the mod the messed up the truck in the first place? We used to call that "throwing good money after bad" Call me old school but... if it works don't fix it!
Why do you hate freedom?

Just kidding. But I get what you're saying and my answer is....I cannot stand the look of front end rake. The truck looks so much better leveled with 35's. And for as much as I paid for it, I want it to look good, drive good, pull good, and sound good. Not necessarily in that order, of course. Air bags, leveling kit, and new tires will give me everything I need and INCREASE load capacity

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

Agreed but I'm like you.....old school. The reason some do it is as stated, they like the looks of a level front to back truck. The trouble with that is if you use your truck for any real work or heavy hauling you then have to install band aids to keep the truck level when you load it heavy (air bags and such)

I use mine for camping and to haul a 6,000 lb tt so I have no interest in leveling the truck. I have no airbags and even when fully loaded for a weekend camping trip, with no wdh installed, she only squats a few inches,,hardly at all, probably still has some forward rake.

If I was leveled, it'd be nose high for sure and I'd need airbags to level it out. Nothing wrong with that...just not my preference. Some guys with diesel powered 2500s need air bags even without leveling their trucks when they haul large 5th wheels with them,,due to the high pin weights of the 5vers. (Many times they are over their payload capacity but that's a topic for another day)

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is a 8000lb camper that tongue heavy that even with air bags it overloads the rear axle?
Without bags, my truck squats to level. After I add the leveling kit and raise the front, I will have rear squat and less weight on the front axle/wheels/brakes....which is dangerous. Hence my need for airbags to lift the rear and put more weight towards the front. At least that's how I see it in my mind.

Using airbags to level the truck does not replace weight back to the front axle, it will actually make the front end lighter.
Watch and see:

Airbags help firm up the rear end and can be used with a WDH. The WDH needs to be properly adjusted to put the weight back on the front axle. Using CAT scales is the best way.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Here these guys do a ton of lift stuff and they are pretty knowledgeable, they have a quite a few videos.

Snyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Agreed but I'm like you.....old school. The reason some do it is as stated, they like the looks of a level front to back truck. The trouble with that is if you use your truck for any real work or heavy hauling you then have to install band aids to keep the truck level when you load it heavy (air bags and such)

I use mine for camping and to haul a 6,000 lb tt so I have no interest in leveling the truck. I have no airbags and even when fully loaded for a weekend camping trip, with no wdh installed, she only squats a few inches,,hardly at all, probably still has some forward rake.

If I was leveled, it'd be nose high for sure and I'd need airbags to level it out. Nothing wrong with that...just not my preference. Some guys with diesel powered 2500s need air bags even without leveling their trucks when they haul large 5th wheels with them,,due to the high pin weights of the 5vers. (Many times they are over their payload capacity but that's a topic for another day)

Here's my leveling kit :D

P7120034.jpg

WillB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well.....color me stupid. I can't believe I didn't catch that. So the kit I posted is the proper kit to level my 2500? I have ordered the air lift 5000 ultimate plus and the wireless air kit. Should I expect any issues running the bags with this level kit and towing my bumper pull camper (8000 lbs), or am I right on the money?
Dont level it, leave the tail up. Once you hook the trailer up, you will have your nose in the air.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Just wondering if you have adjusted the chains by taking up a link or two when hooking up the WD hitch. When I hook mine up I usually use the tongue jack on the trailer to raise the rear of the truck and trailer up to be a couple or three inches higher than level then attaché the chains in the highest link close to the hook on the Wd hitch and boom it downin that position. Then raise the trailer ******** the ground and the truck and trailer should be close to level. Also the spring bars may need to be heavier. Most are 10-k mine are 14-k and my trailer is a 34 foot Rockwood with two slide outs. Loaded for travel mine is close to 9-k.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
When I hook mine up I usually use the tongue jack on the trailer to raise the rear of the truck and trailer up to be a couple or three inches higher than level then attaché the chains in the highest link close to the hook on the Wd hitch and boom it downin that position. Then raise the trailer ******** the ground and the truck and trailer should be close to level.
Before you set the trailer on the ball, measure the height of the front wheel well. You'll want to tighten the chains up til you get back to that number maybe a hair less.
Running the truck over the scales is the best way to know if the WDH is set correctly but they're not always convenient.

OP
OP
POINTMAN380

POINTMAN380

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Maybe I misspoke....the purpose for getting the bags is because I want to add the leveling kit to the front. The bags level out the rear when I'm towing

LI Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
Using airbags to level the truck does not replace weight back to the front axle, it will actually make the front end lighter.
Watch and see:

Airbags help firm up the rear end and can be used with a WDH. The WDH needs to be properly adjusted to put the weight back on the front axle. Using CAT scales is the best way.
excellent video ..explains the misconceptions associated with airbags and towing

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
excellent video ..explains the misconceptions associated with airbags and towing
It's usually the go-to response if someone posts that leveling the truck off with air bags is good enough, the truck sits level, or that they're towing with a 2500/3500 and don't need a WDH

Regcabguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 I-6