Where could this leak be coming from?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truck's already been to the dealer in July. They told me they couldn't find a water leak. It's now twice that we've had some rain all day, and my headliner is soaked through right above my rear passenger seat.

It doesn't appear to be the brake light. I already sealed that tight the first time I noticed the leak.

Oddly enough, we've had all-day rain several times before today but I hadn't noticed water getting in again, and I've been checking. Doesn't mean it hasn't, maybe it just hasn't soaked through.

Now, however, looking more close at the rear window right below the weather stripping, it looks like it hasn't made a good seal. I plan on calling Carmax tomorrow since it's under warranty, but for now, what do you recommend I do to seal it up before it's looked at?

I'll take some outside shots later when it's not pouring rain.leak.jpg

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
lots of good info on how to find it. If you can might make it easier to get them to fix it, And also see if it fact is under THEIR warranty. Funny but sometimes people get told "but that isn't covered". Just type in "rear cab leak" and hit the search button.

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7
Truck's already been to the dealer in July. They told me they couldn't find a water leak. It's now twice that we've had some rain all day, and my headliner is soaked through right above my rear passenger seat.

It doesn't appear to be the brake light. I already sealed that tight the first time I noticed the leak.

Oddly enough, we've had all-day rain several times before today but I hadn't noticed water getting in again, and I've been checking. Doesn't mean it hasn't, maybe it just hasn't soaked through.

Now, however, looking more close at the rear window right below the weather stripping, it looks like it hasn't made a good seal. I plan on calling Carmax tomorrow since it's under warranty, but for now, what do you recommend I do to seal it up before it's looked at?

I'll take some outside shots later when it's not pouring rain.View attachment 528423
What about your rear brake light on your cab the seal will leak on them sometimes

OP
OP
Hirsbrunner

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's what I am going to do:

I'll still call Carmax. Who knows what they'll say. Although, I'm apprehensive because as far as I remember seals/leaks may not be covered.

I already put some waterproof tape butted up under the roof weather stripping going down to the window seal and got that band-aid on. I'll re-glue (or, probably, double-side tape) the ends of that stripping that curves down the back of the roof as the ends are just loose.

I'll pull the brake light and put a thicker seal on there to replace the Chrysler one and then I'll put some more around the gaps where it butts up to the cab. May or may not use a bunch of that waterproof tape to fill in the inside gap around the plug as best I can too.

OP
OP
Hirsbrunner

Hirsbrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

Here's my *late* update.

I pulled the brake light and scraped off the OEM Chrysler seal.

I purchased this Frost King R538H weatherstripping and stuck it on there, making sure that the edges lined up. I stuck a piece of waterproof tape over the edge where it meets too for good measure. Pushed it back into the cab. made sure the screws are tight and the gap is even.

So far, so good. We've had some significant rain the last four days and the last several weeks have had multiple day rains, and I haven't noticed any water coming in.

If it leaks another time, I'll probably get a new brake light as I was going to do that anyway, however, I'm happy so far.