Which size: 3/4 or 1 ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Davis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hello from a new member here. I hope to learn as much as I can here about these Ram trucks. New to the make.
My first question is whick truck would be most suitable for pulling a 12,000 lb max. towed trailer; Toy Hauler?
I have looked at 1 tons and also a few 3/4 ton trucks. GAS AND DIESEL.
The model years are 2012, 2013,2014,2015. Mileages are under 100,000 on a few and around 130,000 on some. Both gas and diesels.
Are there any years that are better --worse--?
I would like to stay with a gas engine rather than deal with the added expenses with the diesels..if at all possible. Some owners of the 6.4 gas engine claim no problems pulling even heavier loads.
So, what if any suggestions ..both pro and con?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For those years the 2500/3500 are virtually the same truck. Only difference is 2500 has rear coil springs, 3500 has leaf suspension. For 12,000# I think you'd be much much happier with the diesel. The Hemi has plenty of power but the 6spd tranny really limits it. I suppose if you are towing on flat land it would be okay. I pull an 11,000# 5th wheel with a 6.4 Hemi, 6spd and would never opt for the combo if starting from scratch with a truck.

If you can move up to 2019 the 6.4 Hemi is paired with an 8spd tranny that is reportedly a HUGE improvement. I'd opt for that rather than spending the money on a used diesel.

Also, I'm just thinking about the years you listed and there is a big different in 2014 as that is when the 6.4 Hemi was released into the HD trucks. Most of what I say relates to 2014 and newer. I believe prior to that the 2500 only had a 9000# GVWR with the 5.7 Hemi. I don't think that would be good at all with a 12,000# trailer.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For those years the 2500/3500 are virtually the same truck. Only difference is 2500 has rear coil springs, 3500 has leaf suspension. For 12,000# I think you'd be much much happier with the diesel. The Hemi has plenty of power but the 6spd tranny really limits it. I suppose if you are towing on flat land it would be okay. I pull an 11,000# 5th wheel with a 6.4 Hemi, 6spd and would never opt for the combo if starting from scratch with a truck.

If you can move up to 2019 the 6.4 Hemi is paired with an 8spd tranny that is reportedly a HUGE improvement. I'd opt for that rather than spending the money on a used diesel.
^^^ this
If the budget is keeping you in the used market and you don't want to entertain the CTD, you may want to look for truck that is geared 4:10. Once you go over the 10K lbs mark with a trailer and going through the mountains, that's in diesel territory.
The 8spd in the new 2500's have closer spaced gears and a wider overall range which makes a night/day difference over the 66RFE found in the gassers. If you plan on towing a lot, you may want to reconsider your budget allocation.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Having towed a toyhauler, you're going to want a 3500 dually, preferably a diesel. And 12k is really light for a toy hauler - they generally weigh that EMPTY and have a GVW around 18k.

I see a lot of folks pulling them with 1-ton non-duallies, and while the truck can do it...it's just not as stable. A good stiff cross-wind will have you white-knuckling it anywhere you want to go. You'll still feel it in a dually, but it'll hold the road so much better. You've also got a LOT more pin weight in an unloaded toy hauler, so spreading that weight out over 4 tires as opposed to just 2 will help keep you from having a catastrophic failure down the road.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
2015. Gas or diesel is your preference...I prefer the HEMI.

Get the 4.10s if you can. 3.73 will work though.

Skip the 5.7 Hemi...get the 6.4l. If for no other reason than the GVWR. The 5.7 only has 9k the 6.4 has 10k.

Skip the 2012 all together. 2012 has lower GVWR and only has the 2 inch reciever.

2013 is the first year for DEF with the Cummins. 2014 the first year for the 6.4l.

Try to get the integrated trailer brake and tow mirrors. Unless you are spending big money on an aftermarket controller and like clip on mirrors you will be glad you did.

If you are planning in towing that size of trailer regularly...skip the 2500 completely and go right to a 3500 dually.

But I seen the word budget, and the amount of miles the truck has you are looking at.

You may need to reconsider the size of the trailer you are looking at.

A 2500 will be ok...if and only if you trailer a few times short distances in relatively flat area.

Good luck. I just made this decision.

2015 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 8 foot bed. Had 95 k on it when I got it and in a few days will have had it a year and the odometer almost says 130k.

The 6.4l Hemi works great, but I have a much smaller travel trailer. I have hauled wood in the bed taking me right up to 10k GVWR numerous times and it hauls so well, I have no complaints.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Assuming a tounge weight of 1200 lbs my 2500 diesel would still have 400 lbs of payload left, after adding in my family. I have never towed that much but it's within spec.

That's still a big trailer though, I would rather tow a 5th wheel at weights above 10k.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hello from a new member here. I hope to learn as much as I can here about these Ram trucks. New to the make.
My first question is whick truck would be most suitable for pulling a 12,000 lb max. towed trailer; Toy Hauler?
I have looked at 1 tons and also a few 3/4 ton trucks. GAS AND DIESEL.
The model years are 2012, 2013,2014,2015.

So, what if any suggestions ..both pro and con?

Your questions are not only specific to RAM but to all brands of tow vehicles.

The general rule of thumb is once you start pulling over 12,000 pounds you move into a diesel. If you are going to pull a fiver, you get into a 1 ton. If the fiver weights (wet) beyond 17,000 pounds, you move into a dual rear wheel diesel. This is general because where you tow has to be figured in. For example, if you are going to be towing in mountainous areas somewhat frequently, the power of a diesel getting up the hills and the power of the exhaust brake getting you down the hills is important.

If you want, take a look at the Fast Lane Truck videos on YouTube, there are many of them towing loads with gas and diesel. It will give you a better feel of capabilities and challenges.

If you could be more specific of what you are going to tow, where, and how often, the answers can be more finite.

As far as years;
RAM Cummins 2013 1/2 up
Ford Powerstroke 2016 and up

I don't know much about GM's Duramax or the gasser offerings from any brand.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never been a diesel fan boy but when you start talking about a 12,000 lb. trailer and the wind resistance of a camper or toy hauler, then I start recommending a diesel. Of course part of that is how often you tow, how far do you tow, and where do you tow. If you are going out of state on a regular basis and going to really hilly and mountain type regions the diesels are the way to go. I would also seriously consider a dually for that weight just for towing comfort. I have a friend who towed a huge tri-axle 5th wheel toyhauler for awhile with a single wheel shortbed crewcab 3500 Cummins, including a 4,000 mile round trip across the country, and it did okay. He did say that the crosswinds while going across the plains states was "interesting". May problem with that situation was tire wear as it feathered the rear tires really bad. Shortly afterwards he traded it in on a dually.