Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toize03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hello All.. Im so a noob on the site but I just got the PO871 code on my 2018 2500.
I have had it at a local shop here in Clovis California and they are recommending a new transmission. I think the valve body went. I am aware that there is places that can do the valve body etc but I think I have opted to go with a new transmission. This is my daily driver and I havent done any mods or deletes to it. I tow a boat and trailer that are around 5 to 6000 lbs but not all the time.
So the question im posing to all of you that may have opted for the new transmission is which one have you gone with and how is it working out?
Ive been researching these top few companies just trying to narrow it down.
The place I took it to is wanting to install a JASPER transmission for around $8500
Another place is wanting to install a BD diesel transmission at a cost of around $11,000 and another one is wnating to install their ATS allison transmission conversion for $17,000 .. way high IMO
I have also looked at Randys transmissions and RevMax

Are these prices reasonable???

Who here has done one of these and what has been your experience. Im fairly mechanical and im 100% sure I could do the install myself. But I kinda want someone to take this one as I dont have a scanner tool to relearn and adjust clutch pressures or verify pressure in the lines etc. Plus im at that point in life where I dont want to be on my back for 11 hours.
Please help a noob out and drop some comments below with your thoughts and or even other companies I may need to look into.

OP
OP
toize03

toize03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
@billetbee its a 2018 unfortunately I bought it used and the dealer offered no warranty on the truck. also I ve already called the dealer to inquire if this would fall under the warranty thats offered from factory and they said I have no warranty coverage.

Billet Bee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HOHD
@billetbee its a 2018 unfortunately I bought it used and the dealer offered no warranty on the truck. also I ve already called the dealer to inquire if this would fall under the warranty thats offered from factory and they said I have no warranty coverage.
It was worth a shot

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently had to have my 46re replaced. I went with the Jasper and it shifts lije new and I have a 2 year warranty. I know this is a different transmission but I think you will be happy with the Jasper. 8500.00 installed is about right. Mine was around 6000.00 installed. Hope this helps.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
My self don't know of anyone who had good luck with ATS anything, it was sad for me to leaned my preferred trans shop Goerend ( who at one time was only 120 miles from my house) does not make rebuild kits for the 68 rfe transmission has some darn good 48 rfe rebuild kits, he does have a few nice torque converters for the 68 rfe, to be safe find a builder who has lots of experience with the 68 rfe transmission behind a Cummins, I would be very careful with anything from Jasper, JMHO. I guess you could always ask Goerend's if they can recommend a good trans shop in your area....

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I have no experience with Jasper transmissions, but their engines are complete JUNK. I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy. I've torn apart long blocks from Jasper to find scored cylinder walls, pistons installed backwards, reused bearings/lifters, clogged oil passages, improperly torqued everything, a disconnected oil pickup. One even came with a bent valve. Had any of these engines been ran they would have grenaded immediately.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have no experience with Jasper transmissions, but their engines are complete JUNK. I wouldn't recommend one to my worst enemy. I've torn apart long blocks from Jasper to find scored cylinder walls, pistons installed backwards, reused bearings/lifters, clogged oil passages, improperly torqued everything, a disconnected oil pickup. One even came with a bent valve. Had any of these engines been ran they would have grenaded immediately.
I echo this statement. I wouldn't put a Jasper motor on my lawn mower.

My FIL bought a 2008 F450 with the 6.4 Powerstroke (yes yes, the 'glass' Powerstroke) that had a blown piston and a bad transmission. The transmission ended up being rebuilt and was fine, but the engine needed to be replaced. He was TOLD he was getting a Ford remanufactured engine (and was billed appropriately), but when he was having some other motor work done (some bulletproofing) they found it had a Jasper reman tag on it.

Fast forward a year, they'd been hearing something that sounded like a loose heat shield but my FIL couldn't find it. Figured out what it was - a loose wrist pin. Motor GRENADED. Took it to Dirty H ooker Diesel (because the original shop had gone out of business - wonder why) and they tore it down - found 3 different diameter pistons, different length connecting rods, and a few other issues I can't remember offhand.

He found a new motor at a place called US Engine Production and never had another issue with it. It doesn't look like they do transmissions though.

My suggestion is to go talk to people at your local race track, see who they use. There's bound to be a local transmission shop that rebuilds theirs, and can either build you a new one or rebuild the one you've got into something stronger than factory (and FAR stronger than Jasper). I used to have a GREAT place near where I used to live, but I'm about 2 hours away from there now.

Edited because apparently H ooker is a banned word...even though it's the name of the place?

Last edited:
OP
OP
toize03

toize03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I echo this statement. I wouldn't put a Jasper motor on my lawn mower.

My FIL bought a 2008 F450 with the 6.4 Powerstroke (yes yes, the 'glass' Powerstroke) that had a blown piston and a bad transmission. The transmission ended up being rebuilt and was fine, but the engine needed to be replaced. He was TOLD he was getting a Ford remanufactured engine (and was billed appropriately), but when he was having some other motor work done (some bulletproofing) they found it had a Jasper reman tag on it.

Fast forward a year, they'd been hearing something that sounded like a loose heat shield but my FIL couldn't find it. Figured out what it was - a loose wrist pin. Motor GRENADED. Took it to Dirty ****** Diesel (because the original shop had gone out of business - wonder why) and they tore it down - found 3 different diameter pistons, different length connecting rods, and a few other issues I can't remember offhand.

He found a new motor at a place called US Engine Production and never had another issue with it. It doesn't look like they do transmissions though.

My suggestion is to go talk to people at your local race track, see who they use. There's bound to be a local transmission shop that rebuilds theirs, and can either build you a new one or rebuild the one you've got into something stronger than factory (and FAR stronger than Jasper). I used to have a GREAT place near where I used to live, but I'm about 2 hours away from there now.
Wow thank you for the info. I ended up deciding to spend a crap ton of money and buy a BD diesel built 68RFE. Its pretty expensive and the install is almost as much as the transmission but I wanted something that would hold up to my needs. They offer a 3 year 150K mile warranty so that was good. I tow a bot and sometimes a trailer but I thought maybe later I would get to delete my DEF system and upgrade the horsepower so I wanted something that could handle that. Plus BD has a list of things they do to their trannys on their web site and the shop I went with has been doing business with BD for 17 years so something must be going right
Theres a link in case any one is interested.

I appreciate you all giving me the advise about Jasper. It just didnt feel right so Im glad I didnt go with them.
Maybe in a few years Ill update this thread with how its working out in case any one finds themselves in this same crappy predicament.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Confused... the 5yr warranty.... it doesn't matter if bought new or used. Unless you are over 5 yrs or 100k miles it should be under powertrain warranty. Perhaps a Canadian truck?
OP has a 2018, which technically could have gone in to service mid to late 2017. Which would put him past the 5 years. And powertrain is good for 60k miles. That's also a possibility that's he past.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
OP has a 2018, which technically could have gone in to service mid to late 2017. Which would put him past the 5 years. And powertrain is good for 60k miles. That's also a possibility that's he past.
That depends on what Chrysler was offering at the time. Current 6.7 powered trucks have a 5 yr/100k mile warranty. Just bought one and still have the window sticker.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That depends on what Chrysler was offering at the time. Current 6.7 powered trucks have a 5 yr/100k mile warranty. Just bought one and still have the window sticker.
Still, if they're denying warranty coverage chances are OP is past the 5 years or 100k miles.

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
I am sorry for your troubles and hope you can get the truck right without selling your first born. Before the bumper to bumper expired on my 2019 Laramie dually I purchased an extended Mopar Factory Warranty out to 2026 and $75,000. I'm not sure but this might not cover the Power Train, which I think is 5 years/ 100,000 miles from date of purchase, Jan 2025. I'll never reach 100K before then because I still have only 19K on the truck.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
Hello All.. Im so a noob on the site but I just got the PO871 code on my 2018 2500.
I have had it at a local shop here in Clovis California and they are recommending a new transmission. I think the valve body went. I am aware that there is places that can do the valve body etc but I think I have opted to go with a new transmission. This is my daily driver and I havent done any mods or deletes to it. I tow a boat and trailer that are around 5 to 6000 lbs but not all the time.
So the question im posing to all of you that may have opted for the new transmission is which one have you gone with and how is it working out?
Ive been researching these top few companies just trying to narrow it down.
The place I took it to is wanting to install a JASPER transmission for around $8500
Another place is wanting to install a BD diesel transmission at a cost of around $11,000 and another one is wnating to install their ATS allison transmission conversion for $17,000 .. way high IMO
I have also looked at Randys transmissions and RevMax

Are these prices reasonable???

Who here has done one of these and what has been your experience. Im fairly mechanical and im 100% sure I could do the install myself. But I kinda want someone to take this one as I dont have a scanner tool to relearn and adjust clutch pressures or verify pressure in the lines etc. Plus im at that point in life where I dont want to be on my back for 11 hours.
Please help a noob out and drop some comments below with your thoughts and or even other companies I may need to look into.
Join the Cummins forum or TDR. They're dedicated to Cummins HD's.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, as others have said, look into your factory warranty coverage. It should be five years from the "in-service date" that matters. It well may be outside of the five years but I wouldn't just take a dealer's word for it. That date is documented somewhere. If the truck hasn't been modded or dragged in/out of Canada you have coverage despite buying used.

OP
OP
toize03

toize03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
UPDATE
So I went with the BD transmission and heres a story for you. The transmission itself and all the components are great. The shift was really hard. I mean like pushing me into the seat and if I was driving slow it would shift hard enough I would have to check thee mirror to be sure a car didnt tap my @ss end. After taking it back and forth from the shop a few times explaining the shift they said it was normal. I wasnt happy with that. But then I got a code for valve body again. The shop I was dealing with finally said were tired of this and ordered me another transmission from BD and installed that one. Ive only had that one in for a week but man is it smooth and shifts great. So I am over all pleased with the new one they installed and it seems there may have been some internal issues with the first one I got so im glad they swapped it. Best part was all of that was covered under the shops warranty and BD diesels warranty so it didnt cost me anything additional. Im happy with the shop as of now and also with BD's product so I hope it lasts and all is good forever!! fingers crossed !!! If anything goes awry ... Ill update the post. thank you all for the in put