Which winter tire? (for Quebec winters)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Which winter tire are you running (if you live in Quebec)?

Curious to see if anyone has feedback on the Yokohama Iceguard G075.

I currently have Nokian Outpost, but seeing how they handled like crap in rain/mud, I doubt they'll hold up in a QC winter...

Price quotes for anyone interested:
275-60-20
Yokohama Iceguard G075 - $1,332
Nokian Normand 7 - $1,472
Nokian Normand 9 - $1,614
Nokian Hakka 10 - $1,817

265-70-17
Nokian Normand 9 - $1,279
Nokian Hakka 10 - $1,390

Last edited:

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which winter tire are you running (if you live in Quebec)?

Curious to see if anyone has feedback on the Yokohama Iceguard G075.
Got quoted $1,600 for Nokian Nordman 7 studded, Yokohama is ~$1,300.

I currently have Nokian Outpost, but seeing how they handled like crap in rain/mud, I doubt they'll hold up in a QC winter...

I don't live in Quebec but I'm about 70 minutes South of Gatineau Park, Quebec. :cool:

I live in a rural area, about 40 minutes South of Ottawa where I sometimes get plowed up to 36 hours after a big snow dump.

And whatever they forecast for snow volume, there's usually much more here.

I've used BFG All Terrain KO2s as dedicated winter tires for about 15 years and they work excellent for my use. They do have the 3 peak snowflake.

On my Warlock, I use 245/75/17 type E.

They're fabulous in deep unplowed snow on pavement, gravel or offroad and function well on wet or dry pavement.

There are better tires for use on plowed pavement, ice or wet roads, if you have that condition more than deep snow.

They will be a bit noisier than a true winter tire, will slightly impact mpg but can be used all season so, no big panic rush to change them in Spring.

I've been lazy since buying my Ram and usually have the dealer install/remove them during warranty check/oil changes, Spring and late Fall.

zrock

Reaction score
when i worked in automotive parts i used to sell continental winter tires and my customers always came back and told me they were the best winter tire they have ever used. I Live up in the north so that says something. We had record winter tire sales every year i worked their.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Little less down here, but comparisons show they are better in most categories than others.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Guess it's that time. Those used to be chrome rims. The rattle can lid colour matched but it turned out more purple than blue. You can't tell when everything's covered in winter highway dirt and chemicals.

Once the rocks and sand start chipping away the paint they'll get rattle canned again.... Maybe I'll find the proper blue this time.
IMG_20231021_121347.jpg
IMG_20231021_161301.jpg

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I can see this being next week… the weatherman isn’t forecasting much, but they’re notoriously wrong.
IMG_3901.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Thanks for the info and the pictures as well!

Looks like you went with the RAM sport rims for winter.

I was wondering if the Yokohama's were worth getting, since they're considerably cheaper (almost $500)

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Looks like you went with the RAM sport rims for winter.
They’re stock 20” chrome rims I found on marketplace. Although I wanted black ones, a good deal was struck for what was available at the time.

Any name brand winter tire will drive circles around every stock ht or at tire for on road driving. Where it gets nit picky for winter tires is your ice to deep snow to wet slush ratio.

We seem to get more of every type of ice around here, all winter.IMG_3903.jpeg

Gussers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you looking for a studded winter tire? If not, why aren't the standard 3PMS tires adequate? I've taken my Falken Wildpeak AT3's through some ridiculous snow when they were relatively new and they didn't falter at all. They aren't studded, so that's why I specifically asked. Less hassle not having to change tires each season and store the take-off wheels.

Gussers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you looking for a studded winter tire? If not, why aren't the standard 3PMS tires adequate? I've taken my Falken Wildpeak AT3's through some ridiculous snow when they were relatively new and they didn't falter at all. They aren't studded, so that's why I specifically asked. Less hassle not having to change tires each season and store the take-off wheels.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going and getting going are only part of the problem, and at that point very little damage can be done. On the other hand, control and stopping are the other part of the equation, and, a considerable amount of damage can be expected if things go wrong. Because every winter is deferent, things can change in a hurry, and weather people are wrong quite often. I get the best I can find, and price is a small part of the decision. Any well rated set of studded winter tires will cost a grand or better. Get the best that you can, and with the option that is allowed in your local, and be safe.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

sometimes minimum spec is not good enough I go with real winter tire and change twice a year for my own piece of mind and safety

OP
OP
Giorgio_Rampa

Giorgio_Rampa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
I've had Nokian's (Hakka or Nordman) on all my previous cars, since they were either FWD or RWD and my current car is RWD.
It's only the truck, I figured since it's 4x4, I can get away with something else.

Obviously you adapt to the road conditions and studded are better, but I hardly see them on pickups around here.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had Nokian's (Hakka or Nordman) on all my previous cars, since they were either FWD or RWD and my current car is RWD.
It's only the truck, I figured since it's 4x4, I can get away with something else.

Obviously you adapt to the road conditions and studded are better, but I hardly see them on pickups around here.
You know what you expect from a snow tire, and what your driving conditions are, so get whatever suits you, but, choose wisely. I tend to make choices for a worst case scenario, and it works for me.

Never trust a weather person, or someone from the government.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Blizzak DM-V2!

Living in the Ottawa Valley once upon a time, these tires are super-glue in winter road conditions, period!

If you know this region, you know what the roads are like in the winter there ;)
Only thing better would be these with studs...lol