Whipple time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It's a bit of a drive for you TT,but Castrol is running their 3 day Full Throttle Street Legal Drags next week-end.

Castrol Raceway Events

Ya it's a bit far for me. Honestly I don't really plan on taking the truck to the track. It's just a 500rwhp daily driver lol. I might some day but that's what I've got the 68 mustang in the garage for. It's the race car.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ya it's a bit far for me. Honestly I don't really plan on taking the truck to the track. It's just a 500rwhp daily driver lol. I might some day but that's what I've got the 68 mustang in the garage for. It's the race car.

You just disappointed a whole bunch of guys:roflsquared: I think there's a few guys who were hoping you'd get it to a track lol. The Hat is a lot closer to you then Castrol anyways. Tell us more about the 68 Stang,is it a big block car?
Rick

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You just disappointed a whole bunch of guys:roflsquared: I think there's a few guys who were hoping you'd get it to a track lol. The Hat is a lot closer to you then Castrol anyways. Tell us more about the 68 Stang,is it a big block car?
Rick

Lol I'm not against putting it on the track, it's just not why I did it.

It's a 68 mustang coupe, right now it's just a 302 with an AOD behind it. It's somewhat torn apart right now. Eventually plan on doing a small block 427 or 460 with a pro charger. I've also toyed with the idea of a stroked 460 big block with a procharger as well.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Lol I'm not against putting it on the track, it's just not why I did it.

It's a 68 mustang coupe, right now it's just a 302 with an AOD behind it. It's somewhat torn apart right now. Eventually plan on doing a small block 427 or 460 with a pro charger. I've also toyed with the idea of a stroked 460 big block with a procharger as well.

The big cube smallblock is definitely easier to work on if the car still has the original sheet metal under the hood,it'll save a bunch of busted knuckles ,lol

I'm gonna have to get together with Kurtis soon,and we'll set up a time to come visit you,curiousity is damn near driving me nuts,lol

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
It would be cool if you made a couple passes just to see what it does. The dyno info was awesome. I don't know how I would make the adjustments to improve my numbers though unless I find a shop that can do it. Thanks again for sharing your info.

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can these Whipple kits be tuned to run 91 oct? That the highest we have available here in Colorado.

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The big cube smallblock is definitely easier to work on if the car still has the original sheet metal under the hood,it'll save a bunch of busted knuckles ,lol

I'm gonna have to get together with Kurtis soon,and we'll set up a time to come visit you,curiousity is damn near driving me nuts,lol

It has the factory shock towers for now but they'll be going away for a mustang II style front suspension.

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
It would be cool if you made a couple passes just to see what it does. The dyno info was awesome. I don't know how I would make the adjustments to improve my numbers though unless I find a shop that can do it. Thanks again for sharing your info.

I'm curious as well and may at sometime in the future.

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Can these Whipple kits be tuned to run 91 oct? That the highest we have available here in Colorado.

They're designed to run on minimum 91 octane so if that's all you can get you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Here's one of the dyno runs of my truck, I think this was the 3rd and last pull.
[yt]6y2seqy6aGA[/yt]

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn----I'm glad that thing was tied down good!!!!!
Jay

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
So, how is it going 2.5 months later? Any problems? How many miles have you put on? Any long drives?

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So, how is it going 2.5 months later? Any problems? How many miles have you put on? Any long drives?

I’ve put just about 5,000km on since it was installed. Trucks run perfectly, no issues with anything. Longest drive has been about 3hrs.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you drive it like a rational human being, any effects of the mpg?

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you drive it like a rational human being, any effects of the mpg?

Mileage is slightly less since MDS is disabled but it can still do 20mpg on the highway. Even just everyday driving has only gone down a little bit.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That's good to hear. Does the MDS have to be turned off all the time or is it just to improve performance? Can you turn it back on with the tuner if you want? I know its not about mileage I'm just wondering.

OP
OP
Tach_tech

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That's good to hear. Does the MDS have to be turned off all the time or is it just to improve performance? Can you turn it back on with the tuner if you want? I know its not about mileage I'm just wondering.

I’ve never got a definitive answer as to why but as far as I can tell, it is turned off for safety reasons. Having some boost being only fed to 4 cylinders is probably not a good idea. I would imagine with a good tune to have the MDS turn off as soon as 1-2psi is detected it would probably be ok. However I don’t want to be the guinea pig for that. It would probably be easier with something like a pro charger where the boost is more linear then a positive displacement blower.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500