Why do I need AlphaOBD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only mechanical or electrical modification I plan to make to my truck is installation of auxiliary switches and flashing blue lights.

I can see why AlphaOBD could be really useful, but I'm not sure what can really be accomplished with it.

Can you turn off the multi-displacement system where cylinders drop out at cruising speed? I can see why that might be desirable. I guess you can read "check engine" codes, but the auto parts store will do that for me.

What else would you use AlphaOBD for?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't need it per se, the app is more of "i would like to do xyz with it"...
My usage for it so far:
My fogs will stay on with hi beams
My fogs are leds and you can disable PWM for the leds, headlights, tail lights etc etc.
rear reverse bulbs are leds so i set them as such in my config
my TPMS warning is set lower than 39psi.
You can also enable other features like Windows down globally, and who knows what else. I haven't read the entire alphaobd thread, i only adjust what i want, you can for example if i remember correctly program your own key fob with this stuff, you can also adjust your tire size (i use HPtuners for that). We have a thread about it, and there is a lot of info in youtube as well that i'll suggest you to watch to get you started. easier than reading 3000 pages :)

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
I have also changed the non-tpms items mentioned by ram1500rsm, as well as enabling the alarm, enabling the single-zone ATC after upgrading to an RA3, and enabling the Cargo Camera with the new LED CHMSL...

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '12 RCSB had a Bully Dog tuner which was nice for things like fogs on with high beams, MDS disable, etc. Have not seen any tuners for the '19 Classics yet so kinda disappointed there. Using the ol' + and - buttons on the steering wheel to keep the MDS off at the moment... if I gave a crap about fuel mileage I'd have bought a V6.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will post what I have done and has not been listed yet . DRL's and the manual off and on for them ,Adjusted tire diameter for a correct speedometer, turned on anti theft, the rest of the previously posted things . Im sure in the future I will be programing a key FOBIK, lower the tire pressure limits.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Aside from being able to make changes to the system, its great for troubleshooting as you can activate individual systems much like a $5000 shop scan tool. Price is way more than worth it

Screenshot_20210509-101933_AlfaOBD.jpg