I BELIEVE I have throttle body problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
OK my 1988 DODGE 318 D250 ..Yes I feel I own the only 5.2 not 5.6 3/4 TON DODGE TRUCK.
It's been a farm truck all it's life so I really feel it pnly truly had 43,000 miles on it. If it has more then it's 143000. But the way it still drives I'm saying 43K.
BUT THAT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER Because it's been in the dust & dirt it's entire life..
But TODAY iT WON'T STARTUP .. But when it did spin over It would be long starting .. Like it'd lost it's prime. But it's a gas truck . But I could touch the Key to the click the starter & Let it pump for 30 seconds & Then turn key off & Back on & click starter for another 30 seconds or so. doing this several times.
Then spin truck to start it.. But when it did crank It runs like it's hitting on only have the cylinder. It wouldn't pull itself.. But pumping or feathering the throttle & Trieng to get the RPM up to 2000. or so.. After maybe about 2 minutes I'd get it to running . & Maybe it'd settle down to idling . It would be ok until the next time I needed to start it.
This has gone on for over a month but now it's not starting , at all..
...... If I could get it started I'd take it into a shop for repairs.
........The man I got it from about 5 years ago said the fuel pump was no good.. But I did a tune up , plug wires cap & rotor air filter. & It might have 5000 miles on that tune up. & It has a large tank for fuel like 37 gallons I think. So I only keep about 15 gallon down to close to empty . & Then drive to town & fill it up to about 1/2.. I do it that way so my fuel won't get old. & I do run a bottle of some kind of fuel treatment every 2 or 3 tanks . I use every different kind I can find just hoping one will do something that the last one didn't do.
SO I don't see why my 2 injectors on the 88 efi would be stopprd up.. But I THINK THAT'S what's happing to me . What do you think.....
......SO ANY THOUGHTS on what I need to do . To get it start & take to town or how do I check this out.

Last edited:

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My first thought would be fuel pump. I would have sworn the 1988 would have been carbureted, so I had to look it up. You have the very first year where the 318 had TBI. Even if you're hearing the fuel pump running, it may not be keeping enough pressure for the TBI to function properly. Fuel pressure on these first generation TBI's was super low, like 12 to 20lbs, so you could put an inline gauge on the fuel line to check it.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Google is your buddy.

Throttle Body - Hard Starts, Rough Idle

Models

1990 AB & AD Truck With 5.2L Engine

Subject

Hard Starts, Rough Idle

Index

DRIVEABILITY

Date December 11, 1989

No.

18-18-89

(C18-22-9)
P-4288
BODY CODE LEGEND

AB - RAM VAN/RAM WAGON AD - DODGE RAM TRUCK

SYMPTOM/CONDITION

Engine starts hard, particularly when hot. Rough idle.

DIAGNOSIS

Inspect the left side (driver's side) of the throttle body for a build date code. The build code is a four digit number located on the top center of the throttle body casting "boss," and is immediately below the throttle body part number.

If the build date is 2409 (240 days of 1989) or earlier, pressurize the fuel system by using the DRB II and inspect both throttle body venturi below each injector for fuel leakage. If fuel leakage is present, remove the injector and inspect the lower O-ring for damage. If the O-ring is cut, the throttle body must be replaced with a late style unit which has the lower fuel port raised .030 in., and also has injector cylinder walls which have been burnished.

NOTE: IF THE BUILD DATE IS 2419 OR LATER, IT IS THE LATER STYLE THROTTLE BODY AND ALREADY HAS THE RAISED FUEL PORT, AND THE BURNISHED INJECTOR CYLINDER WALLS.

PARTS REQUIRED

1 Throttle Body PN 53005667
REPAIR PROCEDURE

Replace the throttle body per the instructions in the appropriate 1990 RearWheel Drive Truck or Van Service Manual.

POLICY: Reimbursable under the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Operation No. 14-30-01-92 (Long Crank Times, Rich Running)
AB Van . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.0 Hrs.
AD Truck . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.9 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE: 92 - Hard Starting

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
May not be able to draw fuel from the tank due to plugged screen. Come up with a way to check fuel pressure.

OP
OP
P

PaPitt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
WOW That i believe that's the best advice I've every gotten on a question on a sight like this..
Now Guys also I worked at a Dodge dealership for 11 years I was a service advisor in the shop. SO I've seen a lot of repairs . But that was years ago . I went to work there in 2004 I believe. So Not many 1988 Trucks came to the dealership ...
Thanks Guys & Keep the replies coming .
... I has a very heavy Western Hauler Bed on it's back. As It has a hydraulic winch on the back of the truck. with a Hyd Hay Spear for hauling round bales of hay..
...... SO SINCE FUEL PUMPS now have such a bad reputation of not being any good .. What brand pumps do you recommend.
Thanks .

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I would suggest running through the diagnostic information I already provided and report back on what you found, before asking for more comments and suggestions. You do need to do your end of the work before you can tell what parts you are going to need. May have nothing to do with the fuel pump.