Wind kills mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Years ago, most truckers were courteous professional drivers. I agree, not so today. There are still a few and you can tell who they are when you drive on the interstates anymore.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm friends with a couple of truckers, so I know which trucks to follow and which ones to stay away from. There are good and bad truck drivers too, but for the most part I trust following them over any other vehicle.

So....How do you identify the good ones?
I'm not trying to be an ******* here, I really want to know.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few weeks after I bought my truck I think that I found myself on the other side of the drafting situation. I was on I-40 from Winston Salem to Greensboro and noticed a car right on my back bumper. I tried every variation of slowing, speeding up and changing lanes hoping he would come on around. He stayed right there. After several miles of this I decided that was enough. I took a random exit ramp, drove to the top and back down onto I-40 again. Finally got rid of him and the aggravation.

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
Good luck with that.

It's worked for me so far. After a few miles you can tell what kind of a driver they are. I just want to make it clear, I'm NOT talking about drafting semi trucks. I'm talking about following at a safe distance pulling my camper.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's worked for me so far. After a few miles you can tell what kind of a driver they are. I just want to make it clear, I'm NOT talking about drafting semi trucks. I'm talking about following at a safe distance pulling my camper.

I don't really see much point in that...Why follow a semi truck?
This seems to get stranger with every post.

BIG RED HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L/392CI
I don't really see much point in that...Why follow a semi truck?
This seems to get stranger with every post.

Obviously you don't get it. Have you ever pulled a large camper or trailer of any kind? You can't stop very fast if the car in front of you slows down quickly. You don't need to worry about that as much following a semi truck. Does that still sound strange to you??

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Obviously you don't get it. Have you ever pulled a large camper or trailer of any kind? You can't stop very fast if the car in front of you slows down quickly. You don't need to worry about that as much following a semi truck. Does that still sound strange to you??

Yes....It does sound strange to me.

I've owned tractor/trailers since the mid 70's and been pulling travel trailers since before that, and I have never heard of anyone that thought that they should follow a big truck for that reason.

It makes no sense!

When I pull a large, heavy trailer, I want to have a clear line of sight as far ahead of me as possible so that I can judge my following distance accordingly.
What I do not want is a huge object in front of me blocking my line of sight....That is a recipe for disaster!

I have far more faith in my ability to judge what is a safe following distance based on what I can see ahead rather than rely on the judgment of some unknown guy driving the large vehicle in front of me who may or may not know what the hell he's doing .

We'll just have to agree to disagree here.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AxleFolly