Winter grill cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back in my younger days,Chevy trucks with smallblocks in them would have a noticable amount more cylinder wear on the front cylinders on both banks,and it was from running down the road in the winter with nothing blocking the cold air coming through the grill. Those 2 cylindes always ran colder then the rest of the engine,especially at -30 or colder. A winter front helps equalize the engine temps in the winter. It's not quite as pronounced on the trucks with the shutters,but not all trucks have the shutters,and even with the shutters,it still might not be a bad idea,to have an external front to deflect the cold air around the truck.
When we were deployed to Goose Bay Labrador, in the winter, it was brutal. Just as cold as upstate NY tight off of Lake Champlain, and in those years we had 74 Chevy's, RCSB with 350's. We had wood mounted grid maps of an "area". We would put those grid maps in Front of the Radiator to try and get enuf heat to at least keep the friggin frost off of the Front Windshield.

The people on foot had lil gate shacks with a "propane" heater for warmth, and it also barely put out enuf heat to keep the frost off of the plexi-glass winders. MAKES me tailfeathers shiver to think of them cold days.

ADDED: Front Cover: Could the OP order an ED Winter Cover, since he has a 4th Gen, and they had the Winter Covers for the ED's???

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When we were deployed to Goose Bay Labrador, in the winter, it was brutal. Just as cold as upstate NY tight off of Lake Champlain, and in those years we had 74 Chevy's, RCSB with 350's. We had wood mounted grid maps of an "area". We would put those grid maps in Front of the Radiator to try and get enuf heat to at least keep the friggin frost off of the Front Windshield.

The people on foot had lil gate shacks with a "propane" heater for warmth, and it also barely put out enuf heat to keep the frost off of the plexi-glass winders. MAKES me tailfeathers shiver to think of them cold days.

ADDED: Front Cover: Could the OP order an ED Winter Cover, since he has a 4th Gen, and they had the Winter Covers for the ED's???

He's a Canuck,so here's the same cover on Canuck Amazon. I'm sure you could figure out a way to attach the ED's grill cover to his Warlock grill

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm sure you could figure out a way to attach the ED's grill cover to his Warlock grill
The OEM winter front is fairly tight on the normal grills, I think the Warlock grill sticks out further. The OEM has tabs on the sides that wrap around the sides along with across the bottom. The bottom tabs wouldn't have anywhere to slip into to keep it snug height wise either.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am sorta in agreement with you Crash..Although as you post that image Wild one it is easy to see how it block the incoming air dramatically. Have been talking out loud to my wife the fabic Guru and she has given me a lead on some material with micro size holes i could use in conjunction with my kiidy floor squares...it will be interesting. First off to get the expanded metal and frame done then the blocking material...probably will double as a bug blocker for summer...will keep you posted.
There again the "Logical Person" would mention the number of days you would have at extreme cold and have to drive long distances would be few....ahh a project is always good for the mind ...even if you have a heated garage and only do short 25K trips..lol

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am sorta in agreement with you Crash..Although as you post that image Wild one it is easy to see how it block the incoming air dramatically. Have been talking out loud to my wife the fabic Guru and she has given me a lead on some material with micro size holes i could use in conjunction with my kiidy floor squares...it will be interesting. First off to get the expanded metal and frame done then the blocking material...probably will double as a bug blocker for summer...will keep you posted.
There again the "Logical Person" would mention the number of days you would have at extreme cold and have to drive long distances would be few....ahh a project is always good for the mind ...even if you have a heated garage and only do short 25K trips..lol
Just figured I would throw the ED cover out there. I would bet since U mention the Fabric Guru, would bet you could work something up IF U wanted to go the cover route. Better to have too much info than not enuf. If nothing else, give you an idea on a design, hee hee.

DA BOIRD.

Billf6531

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel 3.0 V6

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only fitment issue is the "moustache grill" on the classic 1500 Warlock. I will do my own creation and try it out ....thanks anyways.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
2021 Ram Classic Warlock ( similar to rebel) cannot find any winter covers designed specifically for that front grill.. any ideas?
Did you check with Tiger Auto ? take money with you.
I always just use cardboard , but with these newer ones that is harder to do.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep..forget that place $$$$
Wondering if "Guru Material " on an expanded metal frame would not be in a "fire" danger zone. ie..be far enuf from a hot engine..its kinda like plastic place mats so should be OK if I can get it tied back from the Rad a little with zip ties..thoughts???

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
in back of the grille shutters, there should be the radiator support.
Then in back of that, there is the condensor & the radiator
There is a gap between the support & condensor.

Stick your expanded metal into that gap, maybe use a heavy fabric over the face of it, like a piece of canvas.
After doing that, watch your temperature gauge

This is my 4th Gen

i bought expanded metal & cut it to fit

1699510780553.png
my 2009 Ram did not have grille shutters, so you can see where i placed it, when it was in place, look through the grille

1699510942895.png

1699511006325.png

You can see the space that i tried to describe, in front of the radiator

1699511364476.png

The stuff that the expanded metal kept from getting into the radiator, etc.

1699511764424.png

That same expanded metal piece is in my 2016 Ram with the Air Shutters