Wiring help - Light Bar Harnes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
This is probably a very basic question but all electrical tasks and I don't play well together.

I just got my wire harness off amazon. It is an OPT7 brand that seemed to have good reviews. My 2500 has the aux switch panel on it and I took one of the little wire connectors and installed it into the factory "port" and I have power from the #1 switch. My question is on the harness it come with a switch installed that I don't need to use. It has three wires going to it. White, blue and black. There is about a 16" run back to the white connector on the harness.

There are no instructions with the harness and it all seems pretty straight forward but I'm not sure how to hook up wires for my single wire coming out of my trucks outlet for the switch. Do I cut any of the wires off and only run one to the wire from my six panel. I'm a bit stuck here. Here are the pics for reference.
image.jpg

Last edited:

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I would not cut any of the wires off. There is a reason for them.
What is it you are trying to wire in. Fog Lamps? Backup / Work Lights?

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you looked at the actual page you ordered this from Amazon, you would have seen this wiring diagram.

The two colored wires are power entering, (constant) and leaving the switch, (once the circuit is closed). The black is ground for the lighted switch. You'll need to see which wire goes to pin 86 on that particular relay, THAT will be the wire you tie into with your wire, and trigger the relay, the other (and the black) will not be used.

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
If you looked at the actual page you ordered this from Amazon, you would have seen this wiring diagram.

The two colored wires are power entering, (constant) and leaving the switch, (once the circuit is closed). The black is ground for the lighted switch. You'll need to see which wire goes to pin 86 on that particular relay, THAT will be the wire you tie into with your wire, and trigger the relay, the other (and the black) will not be used.

Yeah, I saw that diagram. It's the left side where the switch is that got me stumped. I unplugged the wires from the relay and think I saw which prong has the 86 next to it but hard to tell until I get a magnifying glass as it looks like 86 but sort of an 88 too. The three wires going into the button switch on the harness each have the wire terminals so I should be able to get the matching male end once I find the correct power wire on the harness. I think I may be able to do it. Thanks

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
run a continuity test from the positive wire that goes to the battery to the switch plug. whichever wire has the continuity is the wire you WON'T use... I think... good luck. LOL

OP
OP
Skrap

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
run a continuity test from the positive wire that goes to the battery to the switch plug. whichever wire has the continuity is the wire you WON'T use... I think... good luck. LOL

Ummmm,, thanks.

I assume if I hook the proper wires up to the battery and use my meter I can find the power wire that goes to the switch when it is in the off position. While the other two wires will not have any power running through them. Now when I flip the switch a second wire will have power going through it. I assume that second wire is the one I waspnt to hook up to the Factory Aux Swith? Someone tell me if I'm on the right track or not. Thanks.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I deal with vehicle 12v wiring quite a bit - like you said, cut the switch off that came with your light bar exposing the 3 wires you mentioned. Put your black to ground, you still have to ground the bar unlike what one of the other member said, then simply put one of the two other wires to positive and see if it lights up. If it does not, then simply put the two wires together and connect BOTH of those wires to your hot wire coming out of your AUX switch panel that u want to use. Basically, remove the supplied switch and just put yours on it.

firemedic10584

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a very basic wiring diagram to give you something to look at. Granted, the bar could function / power differently than I'm thinking, but this should be it.

1_zpshikkpe6d.png

PM me if you need any more help.