Would you buy…..?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin06ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
A young friend showed me a 1999 clean body ram 2500 2wd long bed diesel with 280k miles listed for 6000. Are we in the right ballpark ? And what are the important questions to ask the seller?

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
No way we can judge that without pictures and more details. If it’s perfect body wise and been maintained very well, yes. If it’s been worked hard and beat like a mule all it’s life and neglected maintenance, then no.

Need to check the front end and steering box for play, check for rust in the rockers, cab corners and bedsides, ask about engine/trans/rear end rebuilds/work. See if it smokes excessively, look for leaks, all the basics of looking at an older used vehicle. Look at the tires and see if there’s any weird wear. There’s so many things you need to look at, if you don’t know what to look for, take it to a trusted mechanic.

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 4x4 owner here with 185K miles.

If the motor was serviced regularly you should be able to get many more miles out of it.
Manual transmission or automatic?Had to replace my automatic at 165000 miles.
Is the dashboard cracked?I replaced mine about 14 years ago.
Replaced heater core 2 times already.
Replaced injector pump and lift pump.

Many other wear items to consider replacing.

In todays market I would say the price is not bad if the truck was not beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500