Xpress Kit Auto Start Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They don't make this clear, but you need to use your other key. I discovered that the truck deactivates the remote buttons on the key you start the truck with. Since the module clones one of your keys when you program it, you can't use that key for the doors.

Is there no other way around this? I just got mine in the mail today and I'm not sure if I want it anymore. Can I still unlock it by putting my hand on the handle?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is there no other way around this? I just got mine in the mail today and I'm not sure if I want it anymore. Can I still unlock it by putting my hand on the handle?

I'm not sure. My truck doesn't have passive entry. That setup is a little different because it allows you to leave the truck running and move away with the key. On the regular setup the truck never expects to be running without the key.

On my 300 with the passive entry I can start it, get out with the key in my pocket, lock the door, and unlock it when I get back. So, I think you might be alright. I can't say for sure, though.

The other option if you use both your keys is to get a third programmed for a spare and use that for the remote start.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure. My truck doesn't have passive entry. That setup is a little different because it allows you to leave the truck running and move away with the key. On the regular setup the truck never expects to be running without the key.

On my 300 with the passive entry I can start it, get out with the key in my pocket, lock the door, and unlock it when I get back. So, I think you might be alright. I can't say for sure, though.

The other option if you use both your keys is to get a third programmed for a spare and use that for the remote start.

I emailed doug to see if it's possible.

I forgot to ask him if you can install this stuff using a mac?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
He is mistaken, all key sets will work. The DBALL clones one of your keys to make the truck believe a key (any key programmed for your truck) is in the ignition and you have turned it to start.

Your proximity features should all still work without issue but may behave as if the key is in the ignition if you remote start meaning you will probably have to hit the unlock button from your FOB (I think).

To see how it will likely behave turn the truck on with your key as normal, lock the door and close the door (make sure someone else is in the car or you have your spare FOB to unlock it). Try to unlock the door by just touching the handle. If I'm not mistaken, the door shouldn't open without pressing an unlock button.

If you install the remote start and it does unlock with the touch handle when you've remote started it, that would be bad. Anyone could unlock your truck if it was remote started.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He is mistaken, all key sets will work. The DBALL clones one of your keys to make the truck believe a key (any key programmed for your truck) is in the ignition and you have turned it to start.

Your proximity features should all still work without issue but may behave as if the key is in the ignition if you remote start meaning you will probably have to hit the unlock button from your FOB (I think).

To see how it will likely behave turn the truck on with your key as normal, lock the door and close the door (make sure someone else is in the car or you have your spare FOB to unlock it). Try to unlock the door by just touching the handle. If I'm not mistaken, the door shouldn't open without pressing an unlock button.

If you install the remote start and it does unlock with the touch handle when you've remote started it, that would be bad. Anyone could unlock your truck if it was remote started.

I forgot to mention that i have the push button start and can still lock and unlock my truck while the truck is running.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

That's not a valid test. The truck isn't going to let you lock the doors with the fob inside. I would expect the remote starter will tell the truck the key is present during starting, but then that it isn't any longer.

The sequence most similar to this would be having someone sitting in the truck with a window open and then lock the door from the handle with the fob outside the truck. Pass the fob to the person inside the truck through the window without opening the door. Have them start the truck and then pass the key fob outside. Then attempt to unlock the door and enter normally.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's not a valid test. The truck isn't going to let you lock the doors with the fob inside. I would expect the remote starter will tell the truck the key is present during starting, but then that it isn't any longer.

The sequence most similar to this would be having someone sitting in the truck with a window open and then lock the door from the handle with the fob outside the truck. Pass the fob to the person inside the truck through the window without opening the door. Have them start the truck and then pass the key fob outside. Then attempt to unlock the door and enter normally.

He's talking about the touch handle. I think it's pretty valid test, not with the FOB just inside but actually in the ignition. If I'm not mistaken, the DBALL makes the truck think the key is in (the ignition) until a certain number of door opens have occurred after the drivers door has opened and closed the tailgate counts as a door if it is power locking).

I use "ignition" very loosely. The tilt of the key is not like it used to be and is only a request that will be completed if the truck's brain says all of the perquisites conditions have been met.

As for push button truck's, I think it should work the same.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
He's talking about the touch handle. I think it's pretty valid test, not with the FOB just inside but actually in the ignition. If I'm not mistaken, the DBALL makes the truck think the key is in (the ignition) until a certain number of door opens have occurred after the drivers door has opened and closed the tailgate counts as a door if it is power locking).

I use "ignition" very loosely. The tilt of the key is not like it used to be and is only a request that will be completed if the truck's brain says all of the perquisites conditions have been met.

As for push button truck's, I think it should work the same.

I know he means the touch handle. He can't have the key in the ignition because if he has the touch handle then it is push button start and has no ignition. You recommended starting the truck and leaving the key in there when locking the door. With passive entry, you can't do that. If you lock the door and then close it with the key still inside it will unlock the door automatically to prevent you from locking your keys inside. The trucks with regular fob don't do this.

The passive entry trucks behave completely differently than the ones with the standard fob. With the standard fob, the only antenna is inside the ignition switch and it only authenticates the key when it is in the ignition. With the passive entry, there are multiple antennas present and they can tell if the key is inside or outside and the behavior adjusts accordingly.

I don't know about the door open count part; I've never heard of yhwt. What I do know is that no matter what I do the buttons on the fob I used to setup the starter do not work when the truck has been remote started. That makes perfect sense because the truck thinks that key is still in the ignition. The truck authenticated the key when the engine was started, and the ignition has not been turned off yet, so it thinks the key is in there in the RUN position. When a key is in the ignition and the truck is running, the truck ignores all the button presses from that key. You can test that by starting the truck and trying to press buttons on the key while it is still in the ignition.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I know he means the touch handle. He can't have the key in the ignition because if he has the touch handle then it is push button start and has no ignition. You recommended starting the truck and leaving the key in there when locking the door. With passive entry, you can't do that. If you lock the door and then close it with the key still inside it will unlock the door automatically to prevent you from locking your keys inside. The trucks with regular fob don't do this.

The passive entry trucks behave completely differently than the ones with the standard fob. With the standard fob, the only antenna is inside the ignition switch and it only authenticates the key when it is in the ignition. With the passive entry, there are multiple antennas present and they can tell if the key is inside or outside and the behavior adjusts accordingly.

I don't know about the door open count part; I've never heard of yhwt. What I do know is that no matter what I do the buttons on the fob I used to setup the starter do not work when the truck has been remote started. That makes perfect sense because the truck thinks that key is still in the ignition. The truck authenticated the key when the engine was started, and the ignition has not been turned off yet, so it thinks the key is in there in the RUN position. When a key is in the ignition and the truck is running, the truck ignores all the button presses from that key. You can test that by starting the truck and trying to press buttons on the key while it is still in the ignition.

I get it, touch handle = only push button. As you were.

Both of my FOBs still work as expected on a non push to start truck and both can be used to start it remotely and then unlock it remotely. I haven't nailed down the door open thing but I think it's something like 1. Open door other than driver door and close 2. Open driver door and close and 3. open any other door then the driver door without putting the key in...the truck turns off.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I get it, touch handle = only push button. As you were.

Both of my FOBs still work as expected on a non push to start truck and both can be used to start it remotely and then unlock it remotely. I haven't nailed down the door open thing but I think it's something like 1. Open door other than driver door and close 2. Open driver door and close and 3. open any other door then the driver door without putting the key in...the truck turns off.

That's very interesting. I wonder if they changed something on the current version of the Xpresskit (4x10 vs DBALL2) that causes it to behave differently. The documentation that came with mine says "The keyless entry control on the OEM Key FOB used during Key2Go programming will not work while the vehicle is remote
started"

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
That's very interesting. I wonder if they changed something on the current version of the Xpresskit (4x10 vs DBALL2) that causes it to behave differently. The documentation that came with mine says "The keyless entry control on the OEM Key FOB used during Key2Go programming will not work while the vehicle is remote
started"

Maybe their is a different set of prerequisite security features to "trick" in the latter models? I think it could possibly be by design for push to start vehicles. I have this feeling that there is some valid operational reason they behave this way to avoid undesirable situations, I just can't think of it...its late, I'll sleep on it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just installed mine on my 2013 Sport with push button start.

Both remotes will unlock the truck after I start from the remote.

I was really worried that the one that started the truck wouldn't work but they both work just fine and like normal. Lovin it so far.

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got my kit from Doug in the mail yesterday took everything apart tonight ready to install and just realized he has to email me a password..... I don't have any emails and I assume they're closed for the night..... DAMN

Edit!!! Almost 10 o'clock at night and he response to an email with the password this guy rocks great customer service!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dough is awesome!

He is not cut from the thread of today's ( everyone gets a damn trophy ) He just does his job and he does it well !

Go Trump !

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dough is awesome!

He is not cut from the thread of today's ( everyone gets a damn trophy ) He just does his job and he does it well !

Go Trump !

I agree. However my truck will not start.....everything seems to be working properly but when I try to program the keys I get three flashes have a red LED which corresponds to A problem with bypass data... I'm stuck

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I agree. However my truck will not start.....everything seems to be working properly but when I try to program the keys I get three flashes have a red LED which corresponds to A problem with bypass data... I'm stuck

Which system did you get? The 4x10? Mine did something similar and I couldn't get it to go. I ended up doing the factory reset per the manual and it still didn't work. Then I did the reset again, tried the on-off-on thing and still nada. Finally I started the truck with it plugged in (I don't remember if I reset first) and it did what it was supposed to do.

I wish I had a better idea of why exactly it finally worked but I was standing there WTF'ng for a while.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Deleted

Last edited:

Dbush36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Which system did you get? The 4x10? Mine did something similar and I couldn't get it to go. I ended up doing the factory reset per the manual and it still didn't work. Then I did the reset again, tried the on-off-on thing and still nada. Finally I started the truck with it plugged in (I don't remember if I reset first) and it did what it was supposed to do.

I wish I had a better idea of why exactly it finally worked but I was standing there WTF'ng for a while.

Figured it out, kind of... I just kept resetting and re loading over and over again until I got the correct led flash during key activation. Now it works!!!! Don't know what changed but it works now!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Couple weird things have started happening.

-When my wife starts the truck with her remote and then opens the truck door, the truck turns off. It has happened 3 times to her and just started. Works fine when I use my remote.

-I updated the Uconnect and ever since it won't turn on the steering wheel heater and passenger seat heater. It did it before the update.

-I have noticed the truck will turn off every now and then after a few minutes of running after remote start.

Anyone have any ideas?

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
On my crew cab if I open/close the back door then open the drivers door the truck shuts off. Opening the drivers door first, it stays running.