Y Pipe again !!!! UPDATE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
UPDATE

2015 RAM 1500 Pentastar !

89k on the clock

The flange stud on the Y Pipe flange rusted in 1/2 again!

Past few mornings it had that exhaust leak sound, ,
Same place as a few years ago !

The studs are welded to 1 flange instead of a nut and bolt!

Hope my mechanic can drill the stud out! I do live in the rust belt
Or maybe drill out the studs on the new Y Pipe and put in Grade 8 nuts and bolt

Anyone else have this happen , and yes a bummer lol

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ugh.. I didn't own my 2017 pentastar powered Ram long enough for it to happen, but the flanges on my 2019 classic w/ hemi are pretty crusty with 60k miles on the clock.

I had to replace the whole cat-back exhaust on our 2015 Nissan versa last year because two flanges rotted right off.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Yea this sucks lol Twice since 2016

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea this sucks lol Twice since 2016
Sir, the privilege's you have and enjoy living in an alleged "rust bucket" area.

FWIW, when I was stationed in NY, I always went to car wash every couple of weeks when they were not froze and sprayed off as much of the undercarriage of my Olds that I could. OLDS was from TX, not coated.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Sir, the privilege's you have and enjoy living in an alleged "rust bucket" area.

FWIW, when I was stationed in NY, I always went to car wash every couple of weeks when they were not froze and sprayed off as much of the undercarriage of my Olds that I could. OLDS was from TX, not coated.
Same here I hit the car wash every couple weeks. My 2011 HHR a low end car has only 1 rust bubble under the paint ! My mechanic can not believe how nice it is under there ! My RAM sound a bit like a car with a fart can on it lol

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
If you can get the specs on the stud ( thread, DIA and Length you should tap (after drilling) and install a stainless stud (preferably ARP) which are stronger than grade 8 and won’t rust like ever. I try to use them when I can and money allows it. When I did shorties I did them on the collectors as well and the nut was rusted less than 6 months (came with the headers) but the bolt (ARP SS) just changed color.

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If you can get the specs on the stud ( thread, DIA and Length you should tap (after drilling) and install a stainless stud (preferably ARP) which are stronger than grade 8 and won’t rust like ever. I try to use them when I can and money allows it. When I did shorties I did them on the collectors as well and the nut was rusted less than 6 months (came with the headers) but the bolt (ARP SS) just changed color.
Thanks
Ill look into those ,, I see no reason why the old stud is welded in place when a Nut and bolt would be a simple fix. But then they would make less $$$ lol

OP
OP
Rado

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
UPDATE

Y Pipe now fixed with a new nut and bolt,