Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 Ongoing Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/geolandar_a_t_g015

ea3ca1b7b4390e2be1abbf0f152a3b0e.png

Stock Goodyear SR-As were still OK at 36K miles but we're about to do some serious mileage and I figured this was a good time to get a set of A/Ts.

Turns out Discount Tire & Big O couldn't get these - they were on national backorder so I got them from Tire Rack. Paid $176.55 each plus $68.96 for shipping. Mounted & road force balanced by Discount Tire.

P275/60/20 => 60K mile warranty (as opposed to LTs, which only get 45K miles); they also include severe snow service (mountain snowflake symbol)

Initial impressions (approx 200 miles):

- Slightly more noise than SR-As, most noticeable around 45 mph. My wife cannot tell the difference.

- Small bumps are more pronounced than the SR-As but the large bumps are less pronounced, which is counter intuitive and somewhat weird.

- Even though they're only 4 pounds per tire heavier than the SR-As, there has definitely been a negative mpg impact of 1 or 2 mpg and maybe a 0.5s (butt dyno) negative impact to 0-60. Hopefully this improves over time.

- Haven't had them out on the rocks or sand yet but the dry, street, straight line traction is definitely better than the SR-As. Haven't been able to chirp them on heavy accereration.

- Gripes: fast, sweeping turns (admittedly not a designed use case for a full-size 4x4 truck) are "squirrely." The SR-As always delivered very smooth, predictable handling on those freeway cloverleafs but the G015s make the truck feel less planted.

More to come as the miles wear on.

Last edited:

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yokos no matter which ones you get always have made road noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the same tire about 12k on them now.. no complaints so far. What tire pressure are you running? I run 42 in the front and 40 in the rear , IMO they do great on rocks and sand but mud they don't clean out too good but better than most of the Firestone AT offerings.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the same tire about 12k on them now.. no complaints so far. What tire pressure are you running? I run 42 in the front and 40 in the rear , IMO they do great on rocks and sand but mud they don't clean out too good but better than most of the Firestone AT offerings.

I may up the pressure to your suggestion - I'm running the door jamb recommended 39 PSI all around. I pick up little pebbles in the tread all day, every day, I notice.

I have noticed a ~2 mpg loss on fuel economy, which really adds a lot to the "price" of the tires.

Are you seeing any worse MPGs?

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yokos no matter which ones you get always have made road noise

Interesting. I was really happy with the ADVAN A046s but that was an entirely different tire for an entirely different car. Tire noise was the least of the Evo's concerns. ;)

B-Shot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may up the pressure to your suggestion - I'm running the door jamb recommended 39 PSI all around. I pick up little pebbles in the tread all day, every day, I notice.

I have noticed a ~2 mpg loss on fuel economy, which really adds a lot to the "price" of the tires.

Are you seeing any worse MPGs?

Only about 1mpg roughly, which is to be expected because the tire is heavier and more rolling resistance as do most AT tires.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran Yokos for awhile and thought their sidewalls were soft, especiallythe P rated stuff. Makes for the squirrely feeling which is much more noticeable when hauling or towing heavy. Their highway tread tires are quiet.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Strange how you lost that many mpgs going on a oem sized tire. I switched to 35x12.50s and only lost 2

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I probably need to up the pressures a bit; I'll do that and report back.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upped the pressure to 43 PSI for a 1000 mile drive, still suffering about a 1-2mpg penalty but that could also have been due to the higher speeds (west TX speed limit of 80 mph).

Got 'em off road on the rocks and they're obviously loads better than the stock SR-As out there. We'll see how they handle mud soon enough.

Have 5K miles on these things so far and am satisfied. I'm not super happy per se but I'm satisfied. Jury's still out on whether I'd buy again. Will report back in another few thousand miles.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I ma considering a set of these based off tire rack reviews. do you have an update on them?

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just crossed about 6K miles and reasonably satisfied thus far.

I have continued to up the pressures to see where the "sweet spot" is.

@ 44 PSI cold (as indicated by the EVIC TPMS), the ride is on the edge of too firm for me but I can pretty reliably get 19 or 20 mpg highway @ 70 mph.

Would I trade 1 PSI for a couple of mpg? Maybe. 43 PSI felt a lot smoother than 44 PSI does, but that could be just in my head.

Wear is pretty even, noise is modestly above the SR-As. Traction is good on both dry and wet roads - not oustanding, but better than the SR-As.

I'll keep posting as I find out more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Final review: gotta replace them after 30K miles, despite the warranty being 40K.

The last 7,500 miles have kind of sucked, too - traction is way down from the 20K mark.

Rear tire - wear bar almost in line with tread
20180511_164348.jpg

Front tire - wear bar almost in line with tread
20180511_170637.jpg