2013 AMP powerboards, where to find door wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Corbin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are planning to install amp power boards on your 2013 ram. I thought I would share some pictures of an easier place to tap into the door ajar signal wires. If you have already installed power boards then you know what a night mare it can be to access the wires under the dashboard, especially if your truck has the factory amplifier in your way.
When I install power boards, the wire tapping is my last step of the install. I will have boards installed, wires hooked up to battery and a fuse in the fuse holder. I tap each door wire individually so I can check that doors operation of the steps as I go. There are other wires that color match the ones your looking for, so if the door does not trigger the power boards properly, I know to move to the next same colored wire.
In the drivers side kick panel, all the wires you need can be found more easily. The violet colored wire is found in the kick panel next to parking brake bracket. And the remaining three wires and easiest found at lower kick panel / door sill area. Start out by removing the kick panel / door sill trim. Then pull aside the sound deadening material to gain access to the wiring harness.

The first picture shows the harness in the kick pannel area and I circled the location easiest to tap into the violet wire for the front drivers door.

The next pic I moved some wires to gain access to the bundle of wires leading to drivers door. The same area is circled for reference from first picture. This spot is a little tight, but if you remove some of the electrical tape and move a bundle to the side, things will free up a little bit. The wire bundle your looking for drops down from the door into the kick panel area, then joins a major bundle that runs from door sill to up under the dash. The area I circled is the best spot to find the violet wire.

Third pic I have removed a bit of electrical tape from the wire bundle and tapped the violet wire. This is about the lowest down you should be looking, as the violet wire soon joins the major bundle behind the emergency brake bracket. if anything, dig higher up past the "T", of the bundle shown coming from left. If the power board comes down, verify drivers door operates the power board correctly. If it does not, there is a different violet wire you need to tap. Usually it is the first violet wire in this spot I find, but there could be another one too.

The fourth pic shows the other three door wires already tapped. I peel back the electrical tape from the bundle at the door sill. This spot will be easiest to work in. There are duplicate wire colors in the bundle so check power board operation of corresponding door after making wire tap.

Last pic is of kick panel area with sound deadening material returned and covering the wires. Ready for carpet and trim panel to be replaced.

This is the way I do it and the easiest way I have found yet. Hope this helps.

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Nice! This is gonna be a big help for the 2013 owners who are wanting the AMP power steps.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great look out and posting for '13+ owners

Koko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bestop had good directions for the 13's as well. I spliced in right near the connector. I didn't remove any carpet or panels.