03 to 05 pcm swap issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A little late to the party but has anyone successfully completed this. I have an old 03 that I messed around with too much in high school and never could get it to run properly with all the mods. At this point I’m just trying to get back so I can drive it as it is that no warehouse for many years. A little late to the party but has anyone successfully completed this. I have an old 03 that I messed around with too much in high school and never could get it to run properly with all the mods that hat. At this point I’m just trying to get back so I can drive it as its been in warehouse for many years. I had a place to install the wire conversion made by hotwire auto. However I kept running into numerous issues with Diablo and superchips and getting the truck to run at all. Would really appreciate being able to talk to someone on the phone about what they did and what I need to try doing at this point.

OP
OP
A

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have 03 ram hemi that has been sitting in storage for 5+ years while I was finished school. I put too many mods on it and it just wouldn't run. I had small town mechanic swap the wire harness out that I had made from hotwireauto. I thought I had sent him an 05 pcm to program as well but he is saying he never did anything to the PCM. Therefore when mechanic tried loading diablo or super chips it got locked out as vin was different. I recently took new battery to see if it would start up and find out what issue is but I noticed the PCM wasn't even installed. Chris at Hotwire said he quit using diablo because of their issue with locking up the PCM and recommended HP tuners. Chris wanted 100-250 to unlock new pcm (depending on security) and flash my new vin in. Im sure my super chips or diablo won't work after unless I send them in to get cleared (mechanic had to do this once already and second attempt it locked up again). I also noticed flagship one sells new pcms for around 240 with vin flashed. I was wondering what I should do? My goal is to get it back to being daily driver if I need it and care less now about getting max performance. I know I need the rear o2s deleted from tune as I don't have any in the 03. Also because it hasn't run in years what maitenence should I have done on it? Its currently in storage unit so Im guessing I would have to have it towed to performance shop and just want to know what I should tell them are necessary to get it running again.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Milu6IA

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've merged your two threads on this subject.

Have you tried programming the VIN from your truck to the updated/newer PCM?

OP
OP
A

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've merged your two threads on this subject.

Have you tried programming the VIN from your truck to the updated/newer PCM?
That is my next step. My question was do I send it in or just order a new one? Then once I do that which tuner should I go with?

OP
OP
A

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Converting my 03 to 05 pcm so I can tune it. I found out that originally the 05 pcm was never worked on to put my vin in which lead to diablo locking up. Im sending to b&g to get vin flashed, egr delete, and rear o2’s deleted. Im pretty sure thats some of the codes Im getting. Truck has been sitting cor years in garage. Put in new gas and changed oil/filter. My wideband probably needs callibrated so dont know if they are accurate. Just thought Id post the codes here to see if theres something else obvious that im missing.

https://imgur.com/gallery/FJ7fULq
https://imgur.com/gallery/QIb1P2U
https://imgur.com/gallery/iqGhu6g

mairj40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like it's EGR and O2 codes, based on a quick Google search. Did you switch your Bank 1 O2 sensors to the other side, and add in the second set for the 05 PCM?

OP
OP
A

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Looks like it's EGR and O2 codes, based on a quick Google search. Did you switch your Bank 1 O2 sensors to the other side, and add in the second set for the 05 PCM?
The pcm hasnt been tuned yet to remove the egr and rear 02’s so doesnt surprise me. Didnt know if the codes were all related to that. Whats this about switching bank 1 o2?

mairj40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will need to add in a new bank of oxygen sensors, Upstream and Downstream. Add wiring from the new sensors all the way to the computer location and pin it to the connectors. You will add 6 new pins, and two wires will splice onto existing wires for a return signal.

O2 sensors-
05 sensor designatons
Sensor 1/1 Driver side upstream
Senor 1/2 Driver side downstream
Sensor 2/1 Passenger side upstream
Senor 2/2 Passenger side downstream

For adding in the new O2 sensors, the 03 truck should have the 1/1 and 1/2 sensors located on the passenger side. On the new 05 setup, Bank 1 will be the driver side; Bank 2 will be the passenger side. On my personal truck, having these reversed caused major issues with the truck running right. I had to switch pins, so my new sensors went to Bank 1 pins, and I had to relocate the existing sensors to the open spots for Bank 2.

Word of caution, it is not recommended to cut the harness off of the new sensor. The sensor wires are typically silver or aluminum, and shouldn’t be soldered to copper. I used Casper Electronics O2 sensor extenders for the connectors; I cut them off and soldered them to the new wire going to the computer.

Connector C1
Switch Pin 31 to 33
Add new Downstream o2 signal wire to pin 31
Splice on new Upstream o2 Return to Pin 32

Connector C2
Switch Pin 18 to 17
Add new upstream o2 Heater Control to Pin 18
Switch Pin 31 to 33
Add new upstream o2 Signal
Splice on new Downstream o2 Return to Pin 32

Connector C3
Switch Pin 9 to 10
Add new o2 downstream heater control to Pin 9

mairj40

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not done this swap yet, but I'm in the process of gathering info and parts needed.

OP
OP
A

Austin Andersen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will need to add in a new bank of oxygen sensors, Upstream and Downstream. Add wiring from the new sensors all the way to the computer location and pin it to the connectors. You will add 6 new pins, and two wires will splice onto existing wires for a return signal.

O2 sensors-
05 sensor designatons
Sensor 1/1 Driver side upstream
Senor 1/2 Driver side downstream
Sensor 2/1 Passenger side upstream
Senor 2/2 Passenger side downstream

For adding in the new O2 sensors, the 03 truck should have the 1/1 and 1/2 sensors located on the passenger side. On the new 05 setup, Bank 1 will be the driver side; Bank 2 will be the passenger side. On my personal truck, having these reversed caused major issues with the truck running right. I had to switch pins, so my new sensors went to Bank 1 pins, and I had to relocate the existing sensors to the open spots for Bank 2.

Word of caution, it is not recommended to cut the harness off of the new sensor. The sensor wires are typically silver or aluminum, and shouldn’t be soldered to copper. I used Casper Electronics O2 sensor extenders for the connectors; I cut them off and soldered them to the new wire going to the computer.

Connector C1
Switch Pin 31 to 33
Add new Downstream o2 signal wire to pin 31
Splice on new Upstream o2 Return to Pin 32

Connector C2
Switch Pin 18 to 17
Add new upstream o2 Heater Control to Pin 18
Switch Pin 31 to 33
Add new upstream o2 Signal
Splice on new Downstream o2 Return to Pin 32

Connector C3
Switch Pin 9 to 10
Add new o2 downstream heater control to Pin 9
I had hotwire auto do my wire harness so im assuming they did all of this for me already. I just need to wait for tune to remove egr and rear 02’s and see what happens.