180* tstat in colder climate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok I saw a few question about it and I had some myself

I've been running all winter my 180* tstat and have been monitoring my temp and wondering if I cause more harm than good. First my MPG went down the drain since the cold weather started (under 32). Oil temp usually run in the 186, but if I push the truck over 2500 rpm for a while I can get it to rise to 210.

The 2 things I worried about is that the truck get too much fuel and my oil temp is not getting high enough. With the higher pressure in the engine, oil temp should boil the humidity out of it under the 212* right? Anyone know the boiling point with normal operating pressure?

I'm now wondering If it could help to add the thing diesel guys put on their front grill to stop the cold air. Or just block the port under the active shutter for the winter. I doubt they ever open when it's cold

Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
First off crank case should be under vacuum and not pressure. Moisture will evaporate out, it just takes longer at cooler temps. The trick is to get the metal warmer than the gasses in the crankcase so condensation stops. Soon after condensation stops the moisture is gone. It's that simple. Doesn't matter what temp thermostat you run for that to happen.

Where do you have the fan set to kick in? You likely have a fan that's set for the factory thermostat hence the rise in temp up to stock normal operating temp under load. If you get an e-fan and set it to lower temperatures that behavior will likely go away.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off crank case should be under vacuum and not pressure. Moisture will evaporate out, it just takes longer at cooler temps. The trick is to get the metal warmer than the gasses in the crankcase so condensation stops. Soon after condensation stops the moisture is gone. It's that simple. Doesn't matter what temp thermostat you run for that to happen.

Where do you have the fan set to kick in? You likely have a fan that's set for the factory thermostat hence the rise in temp up to stock normal operating temp under load. If you get an e-fan and set it to lower temperatures that behavior will likely go away.

What I mean is when the oil circulate in the engine out of the pump it's under pressure, this should lower the boiling point. But what you're saying is that it doesn't matter, that's all I wanted to hear lol

I've bumped all my fans settings to 215 or somewhere around there, it basically never start. I still have the main fan on, do you think removing it will make a difference?

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Pressure raises boiling point. Also, the pickup tube is high enough that it shouldn't pick up the little bit of water that will condense out at the beginning of a normal heat cycle.

If you're asking about the belt driven fan leave it there unless you replace it with an electric fan. It needs a fan of some sort. Electric fans are nice because you can get controllers to set the on off temps wherever you want.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
So are you saying there arent any negative downsides to running a cooler 180 t-stat in the 13+ trucks with the 8 speeds. Many have stated that they get worse gas mileage because the cooler temps because truck is trying to burn more fuel to reach higher temps. Some say the system is designed around the 200+ temps for trans effiecency and ideal operation. I do believe in running cooler but am curious as to any downside effects with the 13+ newer 8 speed trans system and currently weighing if it is indeed better for the truck as a whole operating system. Many have stated it was designed to run hotter than the past 6 speed tranny. I already have a brand new 180 stat and am going to be replacing hoses and coolant flushing Vechicle so this is when I will pop it in. I just finished the ATI pulley and mopar v6 efan and I have a trinity to tune fans operation temps. Anyone regret installing the 180?

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious to hear everyone's ideas on the use of a 180* stat in cooler climates. I'm in Michigan, and winter gets a tad bit chilly here. Will a 180* be detrimental to a Hemi engine in this climate during winter time temps?

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I also noticed also is that the climate control is less flexible. You pretty much need to always set it to max, it will get too hot in the truck so that's not the problem , it's that when it's too hot if you lower it just one notch the air that get out get really cold. My guess is the coolant being colder the heater vents are no longer balanced properly.

It's 36 today, engine is reaching 215 and coolant is at 192 with only the clutch fan

The problem is for around 3 months per year so i think I'll keep the 180, but will remove the clutch fan and put something in front of the grill to reduce the cold air going in for next winter

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

tdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Z-rider; I'm also in Michigan and have experienced no problems what so ever... I have the mechanical fan removed and have the e fan set at 190. Temp usually stays about 186 and oil temp at 192. I just recently towed 8500# from Purdue (yes, with an R/T) and still gave me no issues.
I keep the mechanical fan in my bed just invade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Z-rider; I'm also in Michigan and have experienced no problems what so ever... I have the mechanical fan removed and have the e fan set at 190. Temp usually stays about 186 and oil temp at 192. I just recently towed 8500# from Purdue (yes, with an R/T) and still gave me no issues.
I keep the mechanical fan in my bed just invade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you have the e-fan on temp set at 190?

What is the off temp set at?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca