1996 Dodge 2500 4x4 vibration issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake96

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8 magnum
I have been having trouble finding the culprit to my vibration on my 1996 Dodge 2500 4x4. It is completely stock and is a grandpa truck. It has two different vibrations that I notice. Both come around 65 mph and get worse as I go faster. One is a slower vibration that feels like wheel speed and the other is faster and feels like driveline. They both are felt through the seat and not the steering wheel which leads me away from front end. Here is what has been done
  • Front and rear driveshaft balanced and new u joints
  • New tires (balanced twice)
  • Rebuilt transfercase (new bearings,seals, and chain)
  • Steering parts replaced (steering box, tie rods and track bar)
  • Shocks replaced
Wheel bearings feel tight all the way around. I have jacked the rear up and ran it at 70 mph on jack stands and the vibration is still felt in the seat so I feel like that eliminates the front end. I thought it could be the rear diff but while doing this I felt the rear diff and I feel any vibration coming from it. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

mike spillane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You took off the drive shaft when you put it back on it has to be in balance with the rear end, how to do this is separate the rear end from the drive shaft spin the rear end up to 180 degrees and don't move the drive shaft put drive shaft back on, may have to play with it a couple of times to get all the vibrations gone hope this helps, that's what I had to do to mine after replacing all the bearings in my rear end

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try having your tires road forced balanced. Special machine puts load on tire . Think most firestone stores have them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517