1996 Dodge RAM 2500 4X4 Diesel Front Chassis Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
I do not have the 'Death Wobble' but I can feel some looseness transmitting up my steering column. I avoided looking down there until I heard a clicking noise that was in sync with my front wheel speed, so I looked. I found that the CV joint on the left axle was a goner. I did not want to do the labor so I had it replaced at the sum of $350. Believe me they earned their money (because I do not think they knew what they were doing, but I got my truck back and still (of course) have that feeling of a little knocking here and there through my steering column. I went to a shop and you would not believe how much they wanted to work on every thing but my ball joints. We are talking thousands of dollars. So , I went someplace else and they wanted thousands of dollars ! Why? So I got under the truck again and looked and found that I sure am glad I own tools. I went to O'Reily's auto parts and purchased new upper and lower bars with bushings installed, a new track bar, (L) and (R) tie rod ends, sway bar links, a new steering dampner..Friggen everything except ball joints for $499.00 ! I will take my sweet ass time and remove and replace it all. Why are shops like this? I am willing to pay somebody an honest wage for their work, but my
gawd man there is no sense of proportion. I am so glad I have tools......ApView attachment 156535 View attachment 156536

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i think if you had to run a shop you might understand why thing cost so much. it is not as cheap to run a shop as it use to be. you might be lucky if you know any shops that charge less than $50/h. if you spent $500 on parts it would likely be fair to say it may cost $500 or more to install them depend on shop rate. i know my favorite shops recently went out of business and i have a feeling it was because everything was starting to cost too much and he was just not wanting to charge stupid amounts.

OP
OP
Apogee

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
Thank you for your time to reply Crazzywolfie,
I have NEVER begrudged a man making a legal dollar. I have gone out of my way on many occasions to allow working guys to do something for me that I could do myself, with my only motivation was to supply them with some business. Knowing how to do something is a double edged sword. When you pay somebody to do a job, you want it done correctly. Many times the only way to know if the job was done correctly, is knowing how to do the job in question. I went to separate shops that are doing well and I found that they wanted to charge me several thousands of dollars. No problem..I have tools and will do it myself. It does kind of make me feel bad for the poor SOB, that is at their mercy because of lack of knowledge. You have some good shops that only charge $50/hr, but even at $85/hr makes it a 35 man hour job plus parts.......Ap