1996 RAM 2500 4X4 Left Axle U-Joint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apogee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummiins
Greetings and salutations gentlemen,
I fixed my bad starter motor problem. I R&R'd the starter with an O'Reilly special $211 delivered to my door. It is done. So while I am under the truck I notice that my left front axle u-joint is ready to fail. The cup is missing on one of the legs of the cross and it is just clicking around in the hole in the axle. I guess I have zero option other than to yank it all out and see what time of day it really is concerning parts. I found this place called 'Torque King 4X4' that looked like it had some good parts. I tried deciphering Rockauto Parts as suggested by another member, but I found their web site too difficult (for me) to navigate to what I need. Has anybody taken the left axle out of their truck that has any advice? ...I need all the help I can get. I sure am glad I have tools...Ap

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not hard. With the wheel off, there will be 3 bolts on the back side of the backing plate. Triangle pattern. Take them out, and the axle shaft should pull right out. Replace the joints, and slowly slide the shaft back in, seat it, and replace the bolts. Just be sure you mark or tape the shaft and knuckle, so you can replace it in the same place. This is to keep the factory balance. Hope that helps.