Joint terminology

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
09 ram 2500 4wd, yes it is a 3rd gen even though its an 09. Solid front axle.

The U-joint is going bad and makes a loud popping when in 4wd. Looking to source parts, some places call it a U-joint and some places call it a CV joint, what is it exactly? In don't want to order parts and get something that is supposed to go on a 1500 with independent front or something like that.

I replaced the other side a couple years ago but don't remember what I did to track the correct part down, may have just gotten lucky ordering the right thing last time.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
As far as I know your truck with a solid front axel those have always been called front axel U-joints, I used this terminology when looking for a set of greaseable Spicer U-joints for my old 2006 2500 4x4...

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I drop my VIN into this website and then use the IPC (illustrated parts catalog) to find the exact part number and nomenclature (what they call it) for my year, make, model, and trim.

Although the 'computer' has your VIN, keep an eye out as sometimes there are other parts included in the "fische" (<~~ showing my age )

I hope this helps you

please post the answer to your original question "what do they call this thing"

Please return and tell how this information worked for you, what you find, and how you eventually fix your vehicle (even if it is that you brought it to a mechanic / dealership for repair)
It is your feedback and final repair report that will make these forums useful to others in the future.
Many times I search and find the same exact fault that I am having, someone suggests how to fix it, the patron follows the suggestion and then never returns to say YEA! or NAY...

The forum thread just goes dead because the person fixed their fault and has not a care to offer the answer anymore. Please don't be that guy.

Cheers!

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I was a service advisor and parts scout, I found this website was better to use than other dealership web sites, just use it to find you part and number,

(then I would even search amazon or walmart of all places. ) Rock Auto, PartsHaus, Cold Air Distributors, Oriley... like I knew what I was talking about.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Your post is confusing to what joint you're talking about. You have 4. 2 outer axle U-joints, 1 at each wheel. Then you have a U-joint at the pinion on the front axle.
Then finally, at the Transfercase you have a Double Cardan Joint (double u-joint assembly also called Constant Velocity Joint). This joint has a centering pin/bearing that if it goes bad the 2 joints won't stay aligned properly and can act as you described. I would pull the entire front shaft for inspection and rebuild it if any of the joints are bad. In some cases it is easier picking up a good used shaft or having a driveline repair shop rebuild it if you're not capable. An entire new shaft can be had for around $280. New is the fastest easiest, and sometimes cheapest repair if your time is worth more.
Screenshot_20230708-112307_Amazon Shopping.jpg

FabricGATOR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
18Crew, thank you,
I just read your thread with pictures and it remind me that I am likely due to grease my drive shafts!

We need to grease (and exercise) our 4wd driveline regularly as required.

Cheers

btw ( on my Toyota FJ Cruiser )