1997 Dodge Ram Sport 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alien Spyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Hey, all, I'm seriously considering purchasing a 1997 Dodge PU Truck.

It'll be my first PU in over 30 years. It will be my truck, but our 16 1/2 year old son will be getting his license soon and put him on the truck as a driver.

As long as he's maintaining good grades in school and maintaining his employment he will be welcome to use the truck. If he starts screwing up, he can walk. The ball is in his court.

It's a nice looking truck and has only had 1 owner. I think it's rather rare because I have scowered the internet and this forum and I haven't seen another truck like it.

It's got 120K on it but the transmission was rebuilt at 100K along with the rear differential.
There's a little bit of spotty rust on the body that will need to be fixed and the interior needs a little work.
The guy is asking $3,000 for it and he said that because of the trucks age and the price of gas these days, he is willing to negotiate the price. I'm thinking it's more along the lines of $2,300 but what do I know. :D

The truck has less than 500 miles on it over the last two years and his wife is on his ass to get rid of it.

Right now I only have two pictures of the truck but I'll be looking at it again soon and I'll get more pics.
The exterior pictures are flattering, if you were walking around the truck you would have a little better understanding of it's real condition. I gotta give it a break though it is almost 25 years old.1997 2.jpeg

Spyder

1997 1.JPG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
From the outside it looks like a real gem.

Good luck with the purchase!

OP
OP
Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Unfortunately, it's pretty rusty underneath because the truck basically sat for two years.

I'm really more of a motorcycle mechanic than a truck mechanic but if we buy this RAM I'll be spending a lotta time here on the forum. Forums are great places to get help from members who have been there, done that!

IMG_4366.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Rebuilt tranny and rear diff?
I'd buy it in a second.
$2500 would be a steal if you ask me!
There are guys on here that have that much in wheels and tires alone...
Can't tell from the pics if it's a 5.9L or 5.2L ( either were great motors though...)
Probably a good thing it's no where close to me!

OP
OP
Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
It's a 5.9L. He says it gets about 12 MPG.
It has a Flowmaster exhaust that has less than 3,000 miles on it.
As expected the dash is all cracked and the drivers seat has the traditional ram seat rip and the upholstery in the cab is starting to sag but for what it'll be used for (around town) I think it'll be a good first car for my kid.

Drivers Door.jpg

Front View.jpg

Rear View.jpg

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Great first car IMO...
12mpgs- at least he won't be able to afford to get into trouble if all his money is going towards gas!
I think (if he is inclined) it would make a nice resto project for father and son...

OP
OP
Alien Spyder

Alien Spyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L V8
Great first car IMO...
12mpgs- at least he won't be able to afford to get into trouble if all his money is going towards gas!
I think (if he is inclined) it would make a nice resto project for father and son...

Yeah, I agree...he's 16 and pretty lazy. We'll have to see if this truck sparks his interest or not. I know it has sparked mine.

The truck comes with the original window sticker and ever mechanical receipt from 1997.

Right now, the original owner sent it to his mechanic to make sure it'll pass inspection once the sale is final. Pretty nice guy huh?

I think he really loves his truck and he's glad it's going to be well taken care of.
Hopefully my kid won't total it. :D

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Sounds like a good bet.

I ran my 97 1500 for 12 years and racked up 280k miles. Plowed snow and towed a bobcat around. It was a beast and I never had to touch any major components on it. Sold it to a paving company that wanted to use it for snow plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DodgeLady

Military
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L
Great find! Hope you bought it! I drive a 1997 5.9L everyday. 330k miles, just had the tesnny rebuilt last week! Runs like a top!
I’m entered in March TOTM!

0a5eee9df04bbac7a8dba98596d23e92.jpgReplaced my entire dash last year. Bought new “under dash” on eBay (not really new...) and new top and bezel from LMC Truck.
756bfd5ccdae269c98b7b8df0a4fbe99.jpg

2a4de1e986269486985645ec286296f5.jpg
Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk