1998 1500 brake system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kerstingm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a 1998 1500 4x4 5 2 Ram that has really spongy brakes. Past owner said she just thought it was a Dodge thing, I know it's not, my question is it the power booster or master cylinder? Fluid is full so I know it's not a busted line or bad wheel cylinder. If I pump the peddle it will build some back pressure, but nothing like it should have.
Is there any way I can check one or the other to know what to replace?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Easiest thing would be to try and bleed both the front and rear. If that doesn't do it you may need to go through and do a master cylinder

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
You might want to take off the rear drums and just check everything out anyway. It sounds like air in the lines or a bad master cylinder, that's mostly common.

I don't remember how the shoes in these trucks adjust, whether it's the parking brake or backing up and coming to a quick halt and rocking the vehicle. But a lot of tricks with drums that are as old as ours have adjuster problems due to corrosion. Leaving the shoes too far away from the drum, and can make a big difference in how long the pedal feels. If you already have air in the lines or something, that longer pedal feel will make it a lot worse.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk