1999 5.2 Transmission shift issue **Solved**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rayhalks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1999 Ram 5.2, 46RE, 4x4. I realize the 318 is an undersized torqued motor for the size of this truck, plus I do have larger, wider tires... and lifted. It has 87k miles and well taken care of. I recently did the transmission rebuild of speed, pressure solenoids, TPS, overdrive spring, etc... full electronic rebuild do to shifting problems. Most of it has been fixed, but I still have one issue. When taking a slight incline getting up to speed, 50 around here, it shifts through fine, gets to 4th, but drops to 2nd as if 3rd gear isn't there on slight hills. If I get to 4th and OD, it'll drop to 3rd, then back up. It just doesn't like to drop into 3rd from 4th w/o OD. It's annoying to be cruising along and then bam, 3k RPM and 2nd gear, rather than 3rd. It'll actually just drop to 2nd for 2 seconds, shift back though, up, to 4th, then drop again to 2nd. I wanna drop a 360 in it to stop this, but the truck isn't worth the work for me. Is there something I'm missing? The valve body was not replaced. I did not adjust the bands. Could it be the front band needing adjustment? It is topped off perfect of fluid. I did the shift through then start in neutral to check the level. Should I recalibrate the TPS? The throttle pedal cable to the outside, by the band adjustment, is not sticking
Any suggestions appreciated...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rayhalks

Rayhalks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could it be the Transmission speed sensor? I have no codes being thown.

OP
OP
Rayhalks

Rayhalks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OMG, do I feel like a horse's ***. The electronics did need updating, the tranny tuned, and fluid/filter changed, but my 3rd gear problem solved. I adjusted the TV cable. It was 7mm out of adjustment. So simple... I feel like a dummy. Who would of thought? Well, not me... Now no kickdown, no long first or second gear shift. It shifts better than a luxury car, I mean like silk up and down. Hope this helps someone with shift or stuck gear issues.

Reactions: Mop

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, finally a problem solved we rarely hear that on here, what is the TV cable and where is it located, I'm guessing somewhere on the throttle cable?

OP
OP
Rayhalks

Rayhalks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's the Throttle Valve cable. Location is at yhe Throttle body under the hood. A clip removal, adjust to within 1mm, then insert clip back. If you Google it, videos are easy to understand.
I used this video:

OP
OP
Rayhalks

Rayhalks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fine for 4x4s too.....